Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

to those running the adrenaline

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blew my gasket at 47 psi WITH studs before I O-ringed my head. Just the chance you have to take when playing with fire. Not worried now as I been hitting 50 psi on kill multiple times.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:00 PM

Yep I understand that it is a gamble I'm just trying to figure out where I can gamble with high odds. Like I said I've heard a lot of people run 45 with no problems. I guess its a matter of drive pressure as well its not all just based on boost. That is my understanding anyways.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:03 PM

When I do my intake which im in the market for what is the way to go I think afe is the leader I see more of those than anything. Should I go stage 1, stage one with torque tube, or stage 2? And what would give the most airflow cfm wise?
Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by csrosenberry
Yep I understand that it is a gamble I'm just trying to figure out where I can gamble with high odds. Like I said I've heard a lot of people run 45 with no problems. I guess its a matter of drive pressure as well its not all just based on boost. That is my understanding anyways.
I ran 45psi boost with my stock charger for 2 years before I knew any better, no problems at all. Then I ran the 62/71/14 & a few other chargers before that with no problems on the stock gasket. I would not plan on it lasting long without atleast doing some studs, but I got away with it for a while also.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:50 PM

If I'm understanding this correctly it's not if your gonna blow a head gasket but WHEN!! if your running 40+ boost. I put 12mm studs in and kinda thought this would take care of any worries of blowing a HG up to about 50 or so psi. If this is not true who does a good job over in the northwest and what kinda $$ are we talking about to have it done??

Thanks Chris
Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Well the studs are going in for sure I've already got a set coming my way its just a matter of installing them. I am going to try and use the stock one as long as it will last. Or until I get some extra cash. And then I will do it the right way. I don't plan on running over 45psi so I got my fingers crossed.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM

i have seen studded truck pop stock head gaskets at 40 and some that will hold 60psi . but a thing to keep in mind is DON'T hammer on the truck till shes fully warmed up cause this will kill a head gasket fast along with all kinds of other stuff .
Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

I agree with seabee, don't hammer on it until it's fully warmed up. I have hit 50-51 a couple times with just studs and haven't had any problems. When i did mine the head was decked, i used a .10 over marine with copper coat, and re-tourqed mine just once when it was hot. I retourqued it 3 times and broke two arp head studs with it cold and it lasted 4 days. that was a .20 over marine. I'm a firm believer in re-tourqing hot, that's for sure. There's lots of experience on here you just have to look and decifer for yourself what will work.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 PM

I don't think the stage 2 AFE is really necessary. I've seen guys make over 500hp with a stage 1. I myself am tryin got decide between a stage 1 with their synthetic filter, or AEM's workhorse intake.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 PM

So what do you guys think will be necessary to hold lets shoot high 55psi of boost. I only plan on running around 45psi. What I have read in some other ongoing threads is that studs with o-rings and a .020 gasket would probabally do the trick. If this sounds right what am I looking at dollar wise to have the o-rings done and a gasket.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by csrosenberry
When I do my intake which im in the market for what is the way to go I think afe is the leader I see more of those than anything. Should I go stage 1, stage one with torque tube, or stage 2? And what would give the most airflow cfm wise?
Go stage one and forget the gay torque tube. I tried one and the top melted- all the torque tube did was make noise anyhow. I'd want to try one of the new dry filters that have come out if I were in your shoes- I'm currently running a pg7 filter. I do have to mention that I dyno'd 492 with a stock airbox and a drop in K&N, so the stock filter setup isn't bad. The filtration wasn't great with the k&n though
Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Go stage one and forget the gay torque tube. I tried one and the top melted- all the torque tube did was make noise anyhow. I'd want to try one of the new dry filters that have come out if I were in your shoes- I'm currently running a pg7 filter. I do have to mention that I dyno'd 492 with a stock airbox and a drop in K&N, so the stock filter setup isn't bad. The filtration wasn't great with the k&n though
I bought the AEM "Brute Force" a couple of years ago when I got the truck, the intake pipe/tube works great but I couldn't seem to keep the filter clean, I changed to the Amsoil Nano-filter and it works great and all ya gotta do is blow it off with air...nice turbo whistle too but not over loud.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Well guys if you'll read through this thread again and or remember i am close to getting everything and just have one last thing to decide on. Here is what is going in a clutch to hold the power target range 500hp. Afe, studs, HTT
62/71/14, 4" exhaust, quad adrenaline on the way and a fass system to support the fueling issue. Its all down to injectors. I want to make 500 peak but don't want excess smoke all the time. And when towing. I am thinking about the ddp 3s at 110hp. But do you guys think that with this combo I can hit 500hp with my HO. If not what would I need injector wise to hit the 500 mark? And what is the biggest standard towing injector that most of you use.
The reason that i think i am going to go with the ddps is that i have heard that they are great for smoke control considering the power output. I don't mind smoke but where I live people can and will call a smog numer on you if you smoke to much but im willing to take the chance just want to try and minumize it but not so much that I dont reach my goal. Want to run the biggest I can in order to hit the number but need some opinions. Thanks as always.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:54 PM

btw i've been reading this and i had no idea about the headgasket! i've been pounding away on her at 50psi with 320,000 bush km's on my truck and no issues (touch cheap plastic) yet.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM

I thought a Ho would not make 500hp or more.I cant anyway

Quick Reply: to those running the adrenaline