Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

To those with a 12 valve and an SPS 62 or 64

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those with a 12 valve and an SPS 62 or 64

To those of you all who are running a SPS or PS 62 or 64 on a 12 valve. What are your cruising EGT's? Is it hard to maintain speed up a good size hill with a load because of EGT's? My cousin has a 62 on his truck, and it runs 900-100* cruising, where my stock turbo runs 600-700*. We were hauling about 12k lbs with the truck, and hit a long good sized hill, and it was all we could do to maintain 50mph in 3rd(auto) and keep EGT's in check. We had plenty of power, but couldnt use it. I know my truck wouldnt have had a problem even in overdrive, and Im pretty sure I could have ran 65mph all the way up the hill without a problem, and maybe more. Im not sure if its his inectors, or his turbo, but that is the only thing i dont like about the turbo if that is what it is. I dont want to have to worry about my EGT's that bad when towing.

Eric
Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

2 reasons, you have a 16cm housing on your stock turbo, and also a smaller stock turbo will be pushing more boost at cruise with a load than the larger and somewhat slower spooling SPS66.

bigger turbos will work better at WOT with more fuel where a smaller turbo works better at cruise and low throttle input. but the bigger turbo isnt gonna be making 20psi at 1800rpm cruising.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 PM

You have found the reason big singles SUCK for everyday driving or towing on a 12v! The head flow is so bad on these 12vs that the charger can't move enough air in to cool it off, without dumping in more fuel...EGT's get out of hand before the charger can take control!

That's why I got rid of the B1...it was a monster to play with, but I couldn't tow with it like I wanted (I could tow, but had to run in 5th gear)! That's why I still say you CAN NOT have a high HP 12v AND tow heavy without twins (or a smallish single and a whole lotta spray!)

Chris
Old 03-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Towing performance is the reason I got rid of mine. It sucked big time.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

yeah, that would be a bad combo w/ an auto... I feel like I could tow just fine w/ my truck, but I'd have to keep the revs up pretty high... with moderate pedal, I can keep the EGT's at 1000 or so... 30-40psi and accelerating pretty quick! but my cruising EGT's are 800-900*.

if you tow, especially w/ an auto, a mild twin setup is the only way to fly IMO. a 35/3B or 35/S400 is tought to beat for that application
Old 03-06-2007, 01:19 PM

BD Twins are pretty tough to beat for a 400-450hp towing 12v too!

Chris
Old 03-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My main concern is towing, but my trailer is less than 10K so its not "heavy" towing. A PS62 would be too big then for a 215 12V? could you use it with stock squirters and then upgrade to 90/100/140 hp injectors?

Still lookin, but the S300 also looks viable.

Trending Topics

Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM

He's got a SPS62, not a PS62...the SPS has a bigger housing, AND bigger turbine wheel...both make it run better on the top end, but spool a lot slower, and make the midrange more "sluggish"

The difference between the S300 I have now at 280hp, and the B1 (similar to SPS62) I had at 360hp is night and day. The S300 lights so much easier, and doesn't surge. The B1 would light around 1900RPM, and would surge like crazy if I tried to push it hard under 2000RPM while towing!

The smaller exhaust side is so much more drivable for a 12v towing rig...the head flow is so anemic it can't deal with anything much bigger!

Chris
Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 PM

So I see now that this is a common problem on a 12 valve especially. Thats why I want to stay with my stock turbo, and do other airflow improvements instead of going to a bigger charger. Right now I dont have an EGT problem at all. I have driven my buddies 5spd when it was setup just like mine, but with 370's, and I was hauling a pretty heavy horse trailer with it, with no problems at all on a stock turbo. Sure I could get it warm if I wanted, but I was running right with, if not faster than most traffic, even taking off from the lights, and no problems at all. If I am HURTING my trucks towing performance by going to a bigger charger, then I really dont want to do that, because i wasnt too impressed with the sps62 on my cousins truck with that load behind us. Plus a cam is cheaper I want my truck to be an all around good running truck. Not just WOT performance. Yeah, the stock turbo isnt too big, but for what I am wanting for right now, I feel like a hybrid WH1C will be a pretty good choice... One of my buddies does have a P-Pump'd first gen with a sps62, and a ported head, and a very mild cam, and it seems to cruise about the same EGT's as my truck.

Also, from what i have seen, my truck makes about the same amount of boost at a cruise as his... Whats up with that? I know my 16cm housing pulled my boost down some, but id think his would be making less than mine. I think I run 8-10psi cruising at 80mph. About 3 or 4psi at 60 i think.

Eric
Old 03-06-2007, 02:35 PM

A cam would make a difference in both trucks...it's not the charger's fault the engine can't use the air it can make! Look how well the 62mm chargers work on CR's...they spool them as good as stock, and can tow with them and not have any problem! The 12v head is the single most important reason the 12v is doomed...of course it's the single most important reason it's still the king, too, IMHO!

The 12v head can't get the airflow needed to make the same good, safe, everyday USEABLE power that the newer trucks can...but the newer trucks don't have an almost limitless amount of fuel to pour into the engine at whatever RPM the block can take either. 12 valves are easier to hold together at high RPM than 24 valves, because of the extra weight of all the extra valves

The amount of advantages in the driveabilty of CR's over 12v's are huge...the only advantage to the 12v is simplicity and reliability! If you want 500hp to drive everyday, tow 30K lbs, and run a 13.0 1/4 mile, buy a CR...it will be easier But if your like me, and wan't something you can work any part of the engine with an actual wrench, buy a 12v and live with the shortcomings of an antiquated system

What all that crap above boils down to is what I've said many times...you can't have a high HP 12v that can easily tow heavy without spending lots of cash!
Sorry for the long post,
Chris
Old 03-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Well Im gonna have the best of both worlds when its all said and done . Cam, ported head, HTT manifold, and a hybrid charger have to be as good as a 3rd gen. I think 450-475hp is very doable with a stock charger'd 12 valve with a few other airflow enhancements. Maybe im wrong, but im gonna find out the hard way If i am. It may be a couple years, but you all will know the outcome when im done Its just hard to move very fast goin to school and then workin 3 nights a week at $8 hr.

Eric

Also, here within the next week we are tearing my cousins truck down for a cam and ported head, so we will see what that does for his EGT's with the 62. He already has a bigger charger waiting for it, but we probably wont put that on till the final torque of the studs.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Good luck...but having been there, and spent a bunch of money trying to make it work like I wanted, no thanks! If I had back all the money I spent trying to make a 500hp 12v that could tow 25-35K, I would already have my new truck paid off

It's so much easier making HP when you don't have to worry about how it will act with 25K behind it, or if it will melt down with that hired man in there climbing a hill

I know why you're doing it the way you are, and I can appreciate that...but at the same time, I'm glad I moved on to a new approach!
Chris
Old 03-06-2007, 06:25 PM

Since a SPS 62 is too large for towing, but the HX-35 is a little on the small side how would an HX-40 do?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:33 PM

I kind of wonder how an HX40 is too? I think an S-300 would be better though.. Its not as big as an SPS62, right?

Chris: I know what ya mean. But im gonna try this. You can say I told ya so if it doesent work out for me

Eric
Old 03-06-2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
He's got a SPS62, not a PS62...the SPS has a bigger housing, AND bigger turbine wheel...both make it run better on the top end, but spool a lot slower, and make the midrange more "sluggish"
How do you think the new silver 62 will compare? Think it's going to be a good alternative for the towing crowd?

Quick Reply: To those with a 12 valve and an SPS 62 or 64