Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

thinking about the x-monitor

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the x-monitor and like it. I will post some pictures of what i did. I did not use the pillar or dash mount, but i made a custom in-dash mount for it. It works out really well. easy to see and out of the way.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the x-monitor's range? What are gauges max and min readings of the pyro, trans, and boost?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:51 PM

Has anybody actually used both? It seems that most people are using the analog gauges, as opposed to the x-monitor. Why is that? For me, I just think the x-monitor will be so much less time consuming to install. It also seems like it will much less obtrusive. However, I think it is much easier to see if you're in the danger zone on the analogs, just simply by looking at needle location. With the x-monitor, you actually have to read a number. It's still a tough decision for me.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:47 AM

Wow, trying to get more comments on the x-monitor is like pulling teeth! Yes, I know that I need to just make a decision and stick with it, but I was hoping somebody could answer the questions in my last two posts.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:48 AM

Royta,

I'll tell you what I know. I have the analog Isspros in my truck and my dad decided to go with the X-Monitor. I helped him install it.

I think much of it comes down to personal taste and choice. The range of both is more than adequate. Details can be found by calling a reseller.

I like needles... easier for their value to register in my mind at a quick glance than a number. However, the X-monitor does take up less space on the a-pillar than my triple gauge a-pillar.

You can adjust the lighting of the x-monitor 4 different settings. It has a menuing system to check max values and set brightness among other things. Not something you want to do much while driving. It shows all 3 values at the same time and updates multiple times per second I believe. Temps seemed to be inline with what I expected. I think it is just as accurate as anything else.

So it all comes down to what do you like better. Install took us about 4 hours I think. Can't remember. He has the Pyro, Boost, and Trans temp (using OEM wire tap) and the Pyro, of course, took the longest. We painted the pod to match his interior and it turned out pretty clean.

But for me, I like gauges and 3 is better than 1 IMO. I also love watching the needles move. But that's must me.

Steve
Old 10-24-2005, 08:46 PM

I want to install x monitor gauge in my Ram 05 CTD

I read for trans temp the best place is the line between the trans and cooler. I also find X monitor use ECM connection to give trans temp. doest it give about the same temp as hot line or ECM will give pan temp.

Can the x-monitor use a sensor in the hot line or does it have to use the trans tap point?

thank you
Old 10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
vrj

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone tried the Scotty's dash pod that sits on the front of the dash, at the top near the sterring wheel? It can hold four (4) gauges.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It amazes me how far back some new posters bring a topic back to life. As for the trans temp on the X, as far as I know they all use the controller input. Haven't seen an option for using a aftermarket sender.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
As for the trans temp on the X, as far as I know they all use the controller input. Haven't seen an option for using a aftermarket sender.
Ok but that controler input take is measure from where exacly? will it give a reliable on time measure or will only give pan temp oil and I will see temp change after te trans boil for many kilometer.

Im tryng to determine if this guage is a 500$ toy or it is realy helpfull at knowing wath happen in real time inside the trans.

here is a quote from dieseltrans,com
Where to install the transmission temp sensor is one of the most frequent question and discussions I have with guys. My question to you guys is this, why are you buying a gauge?

If you are buying a tranny temp gauge just so you have one and you can tell your friends you have one then you can pretty much put it wherever you want, as it really doesn’t matter in that case.

To me, a gauge is there to monitor tranny temps and indicate how often to change the oil. If you want a gauge for what I consider to be its primary functions then lets look at the oil. Oil temp is what we are trying to monitor so keeping that in mind lets look at the common places people install their gauges and what they are learning by doing so. Decide for yourselves where you want to monitor your tranny temps from and at what cost.

First lets deal with when and why tranny oil gets hot. Most will agree that trans temps are the hottest in stop and go traffic when the transmission is in first or second gear or in the reverse position, in most cases when trying to back up a trailer.

One of the favourite locations by people is the front servo on the passenger side of the transmission. The problem with that is there is no oil in that port in first gear, 2nd gear, or reverse so what are you measuring?
If you do have a transmission temp sensor in that port, take it out, not only is it not monitoring your oil it is probably causing damage to the transmission as the probe is most likely making contact with the servo spring.

Middle port passenger side better known as accumulator port is another, while this port does measure transmission temp in first, second, drive and od, it is measuring stagnant oil. It other words oil fills up and stays there. There is no oil present in the accumulator while you are in the reverse position. So it is useless to measure from this location also.

Another favourite place is in the reverse port on the passenger side. This port only has oil in the reverse and manual low positions. This means no oil in the in the drive position. I have had guys phone me arguing with me that they are seeing temps of 200 degrees while driving down the road in stop and go traffic when measuring from this port. My comment to that is congratulations we now know the temps of your tranny case, we can only guess at this point what your tranny temps are.

As far as I am concerned, there is only one location to accurately measure your tranny temps from. That is your transmission cooler outline. I have seen temps get as high as 300 degrees coming out of that line. That line sees every 20 seconds 1 quart of oil pumped through it at 1100 rpms. 3.8 gallons at 2100 rpms every minute, in 3 minutes you have pumped out basically 12 gallons of oil. So lets say you see temps of 300 degrees from this line and you have pumped it through your tranny At this point in time you can change the oil in your tranny or you can wait a little longer and change your tranny , rest assured you will be doing one or the other. I don’t make any extra money selling you guys the Chrysler lines, I give you the number we use, 5011244AA. The 1995 and earlier trucks it is a little more difficult to hook up the tranny temp gauge, but the 96 and later trucks you guys only have one choice, use the Chrysler line if you tow and want an accurate reading. To me, a gauge is there to monitor temps and indicate how often to change the oil. Since this is about a 3rd gen truck we purchase the line from one of our dealers Mass Diesel 1-508-660-7093, known as Scott to some of you as there is nothing from Chrysler and Scott did if first.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by stephane
Ok but that controler input take is measure from where exacly?
The OEM sensor is internal to tranny but measures temp right before it leaves for the cooler. Basically the same place as using early model output tube with port.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:15 AM

this is the info I was looking for
I will order the x-monitor next week

thank you

infidel