Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

thinking about the x-monitor

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thinking about the x-monitor

I was pretty much set on a full pillar three ISSPRO gauge setup, but I'm starting to lean towards the X-Monitor. There's just so much less gauge to block your vision with the X-Monitor. Plus, I'm not going to be a serious bomber, so I think I should be able to live with the smaller readouts.

Where is everybody buying their X-Monitor gauge?
Old 12-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The x-monitor is sweet setup takes up alot less space than analog and has pyro alarm capabilities
Old 12-15-2004, 03:28 PM

How is it in the bright sunlight?

Regarding your signature, I'll PM you for that info.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:17 PM

How does the X-Monitor compare to other gauges as far as temperature accuracy? I'd be getting the tranny, boost, and pyro version.

How often does the X-Monitor take a measurement from the sending units? How fast does the boost reading react? For example, an analog multi-meter is easier to see quick change in voltage as compared to a cheapie digital multi-meter. To get the same quick readings, you need to spend a bit more and get something nice, like a Fluke 87 for example.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only time I have difficulty reading the X is when the sun is shining directly on it. I have my windows tinted so if they are up I can still read them ok when the sun is shining through the film. On the trans temp it uses the factory sensor which is part of the gov psi transducer. I also have the old style cooler line with the trans temp bung welded on it and I do have a sender from my old guage installed, I just haven't hooked the old gauge up to compare the two. I do like the look of the autometer phantom gauges, but the size of the X is what sold me. I like it.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:53 AM

Does it only use the factory sensor on the newer trucks? I have a 1997. Will it use a factory sensor for mine?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I believe it does. I think they did away with the sensor in the line in 96. If you do not have the sensor in the line it will definately use the input from the sensor.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:59 PM

The previous/original owner had to replace his tranny cooler lines, as the originals rubbed against each other enough for a hole to form. The lines that are on there now, do have an available port.

However, it appears the x-monitor for me is the 1085200, which is for 96-98 12V trucks. Does anybody know exactly where this gauge gets it's tranny info from on this particular part number?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Yeah, I know that I'm slow to mod my truck. I'm starting an electrical contracting business, so time and money have gone to other places. I'm having a Knapheide service body installed next week, so I'm now back in the mood to get a little more power, and to improve the transmission. First item needs to be gauges.

Nobody ever did answer my question regarding how often the gauge updates it's info. What's the story? You know, how often does the gauge take a reading from the sending units, probe, etc.?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Muted User

My biggest question on these is how fast is the update time? I cant stand my TST remote with its painfully slow update on boost and EGT. Its essentially useless for anything other than towing. For towing with a steady load on the engine the digital readout on the TST is fine. For street playing or any fast change in accelerator pedal its a waste. You can watch the EGT go from 600, then in one update, 1,100 and one update later its 1,400. Same goes for the boost.

If the X-monitor is that slow, then I would not consider it.

Kevin
Old 02-11-2005, 05:43 PM

That's exactly my concern Kevin.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 PM

my x-monitor takes several readings a second, it is very easy to wacth boost rise from 0-1-2-3-4-5...40 etc very accurate and the best thing is it stores the max boost and max egt and also low fp if that is an option, when the set max values are surpased the monitor flashes to warm you, and records excatly how high they go.. there is an upgrade that it will beep. Great add on and very clean looking.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Banned

Hey I'm here the x-monitor reads quickly and just uses a wiretap from your factory trans temp sending unit. I run both in my truck analog and dashtop x-monitor and I will tell you that the X-monitor reads 50 degrees cooler than analog which is not that bad but it is something you will have to compensate for when you set it up to flash warning on EGT's. I sell alot of X-monitors and everyone seems to be happy with them I like mine
Old 02-15-2005, 12:14 AM

i got the boost-egt-Fuel pressure edition X monitor, its great, instantaneous reading. A a heck of alot better than rear ending someone while trying to figure if that dial on an analog guage is reading 750 or 800 degrees. furthermore you done have to scan all three guages up and down your pillar. everything is right there. Stores your max values so if your hot shottin it and you need to keep your eyes on the road you can see what you hit after the run. Hardest part of installation is tryin to thread the wires and lines through the already filled firewall hole.

Its good dude!
10-4!
- mike
Old 02-15-2005, 12:19 AM

oh hey i forgot theres a brand new one with the fuel pressure edition for 400 on tdr, scoop it up and save 200 bucks

Quick Reply: thinking about the x-monitor