Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Think I blew it up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokenRam
But when these things happen, Did it do it the first time you started it or did it take some time, like i said i have a 150miles on it sence i got it back from HG change. Hopefully i will know more tommorw, thanks for the input guys-Chris
I had probably over 100 miles but under 200 on it before it started acting up.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:22 AM

It must suck to work on a truck with 10" of lift. This is why you should do your own work. It can't be any worse than some other guy just trying to get his own start in the diesel performance world. Run for de hills if the guy tells you its a connecting rod or other bottom end issue. Where at in Indiana?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when he changed the head gasket did he change the oil too? it is very hard to not get any coolant in the oil..... if he didn't change it (oil) then anything that happend cause of that is the mechanics fault....
Old 05-28-2006, 02:22 PM

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!! He finally called me back, know i'm not good with some of these terms but you guys can corect me and straighten me out alittle and help me understand it.

It broke a push rod/tube and bent the other on #1 cylinder. On the bottom of the push rod theres a little ball that is against a "tappit" then the cam pushes it?? on the top of the pust rod there is alittle piece welded to it then goes to the rocker, that weld BROKE. So when it broke, it caused the other rod to bend. so those need to be replaced. the "Tappet" or what ever is messed up on the bottom. so the camshaft needs to be pulled and fixed.

So he is going to call EEP to find out what caused it. Was the B/c of something he did wrong?? I don't see this happening on its own just right after he did the HG change. Can someone explane this alittle better and mybe some pic's of what was welded to the push rod that broke???
And also, WAS IT SOMETHING HE DID WRONG???? This is going the be $$$$$$ if he says i have to pay for it!!
Old 05-28-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SmokenRam
And also, WAS IT SOMETHING HE DID WRONG????
He could of done this:
Originally Posted by Bobcat698
I had the EXACT thing happen! Knocking, low power, sounded like a 7.3L powerstroke, etc.

The jam nut for the valve adjustment had come off, the pushrod was stuck between the guide & the rocker, and the pushrod was bend.

The rocker had to be replaced as it would not fully pivot.

We are pretty sure the rocker was not seated correctly...

I had probably over 100 miles but under 200 on it before it started acting up.
Might not of properly tightened the jam nut on the rocker arm. After startup you wouldn't see a problem, but after some miles (~100 miles in Bobcat's case), it could've come loose allowing the pushrods to go haywire.

This has to be what went wrong. If he didn't seat the pushrod from the get go, it would of done the same thing, only immediately at startup. Loose jam nut on rocker arm = loosen up down the road leading to same failure. Hard to prove, so I don't know how much you can get out of the mechanic. I wouldn't take anything to him for now one though, sorry.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:11 PM

Might not of properly tightened the jam nut on the rocker arm. After startup you wouldn't see a problem, but after some miles (~100 miles in Bobcat's case), it could've come loose allowing the pushrods to go haywire.

This has to be what went wrong. If he didn't seat the pushrod from the get go, it would of done the same thing, only immediately at startup. Loose jam nut on rocker arm = loosen up down the road leading to same failure. Hard to prove, so I don't know how much you can get out of the mechanic. I wouldn't take anything to him for now one though, sorry.
Yeah thats what i'm thinking. He's done many of these HG changes before. Mybe just a simple mistake. I think he knows its his fault. but whats on the top of the push rod that broke, he said something wleded to top of it broke. what would you call it?? BTW i'm from SE IN, 20miles west from cincinnati. Chris
Old 05-29-2006, 10:44 PM
The Guru

I would check to see if the valves are moving? Did you get a valve job done on the head? This would bend push-rods and bust rocker pretty easy. Is there any marks on the pistons as well? Is your valves bent? Is the valve still on the valve stem?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:48 PM

i think what he is referring to is on top of the push tube, there is a little ball sitting on top of the tube. It's not welded it's all one piece but that might have been the easiest way to explain it.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:33 PM
The Guru

OK I've taken my truck apart abit but I dont remember anything like that. Is that a 12vr thing? Sorry, I thought he meant push rod.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:26 PM

Yeah on top of push tube. Thats what broke. What would cause this, something he did or just something that happend??
Old 05-31-2006, 12:07 AM

It was his fault. He didn't properly tighten down the nut on the rocker arm, it eventually loosened enough/backed off so that the pushrod came dislodged from under the rocker arm, and then broke after smacking the rocker arm, tower and or top of the rocker cover.