Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Think I blew it up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think I blew it up!!! (found the prob, page 2)

Just got my truck back last week from getting HG replaced. A local guy took the head off, then EEP Checked it over, lapped the valves, put HD valves springs in it, and Titainam(SP) retainers on it. also studded it. Its only got 150miles on sence i got it back. Well on my way home, out of no where, it lost power and and started to knock really bad. So i shut it off and costed it into drive way. It had good oil psi, no over heating. Did something bad happend?? I'm going to get a hold of the guy that did it today and see what the story is. Did something had to of happend, for this to happend. Was it the HG replace that cause this. These motors are not supost to have major probs at 120k miles, are they??? Thaks Chris

Last edited by SmokenRam; 05-28-2006 at 02:23 PM. Reason: updated
Old 05-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Banned

Well really it could be a number of different things...........and no, these motors will last FOREVER!!

My guess is something either wasn't tightened all the way and came loose, or something like that. I would have a hard time thinking that you blew the motor......so you should be safe on that. Especially if you still had good oil pressure...........did you happen to notice if there was any white smoke coming out?

Hopefully it was just something simple that might require removing the head again to fix.........

Good luck man!!

~Nick
Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 AM

coulda been something as simple as an intercooler boot split or come off.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:50 AM

Yeah i hope it something simple, But the knock, WOW it was BAD, jerking the truck hard, like someone was beating it with a sledge hammer. It was dark out so couldn't see and smoke. i shut it off as soon as i could. IF it was major, like piston, rods, crank, would it loose oil pressure?? Just want to post it so you guys would calm me down!! If it was something causing if to miss out, would it have that "knock" noise effect?? Thanks-Chris
Old 05-26-2006, 11:11 AM

Maybe you dropped a valve?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Banned

Well since you have a 12V.........maybe the timing slipped something fierce somehow?????

~Nick
Old 05-26-2006, 11:30 AM

I just talked to him. He thinks it could very well be rod. A guy i know from around here had the same thing happen. But his HG was blown and water was getting into his oil, and he kept driving it, there for water&oil don't mix, and boom, spun a bearing. But heres the thing i never had water in oil when my HG blew. It was a compression leak. And i cant really say this is his fault b/c he only worked on top end. but it is fishy it only happend 150miles anfter a HG change. Its not sounding good. i'm taking over to night, i will kept you updated. BTW is there anywhere i can get a cheap rebuilt short block, my head is brand new yet.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:32 AM

heard of it happening b4, this truck slipped timing and would barely run. that is what i would check. if all the oil on the pump nut isnt cleaned off it will slip. josh
Old 05-26-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by SmokenRam
I just talked to him. He thinks it could very well be rod. A guy i know from around here had the same thing happen. But his HG was blown and water was getting into his oil, and he kept driving it, there for water&oil don't mix, and boom, spun a bearing. But heres the thing i never had water in oil when my HG blew. It was a compression leak. And i cant really say this is his fault b/c he only worked on top end. but it is fishy it only happend 150miles anfter a HG change. Its not sounding good. i'm taking over to night, i will kept you updated. BTW is there anywhere i can get a cheap rebuilt short block, my head is brand new yet.
gotta be carefull doing a head-job. its very easy to get coolant mixed in w/ the oil.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:40 AM

That's no good Chris, I hope everything works out for you, if it's a bent rod you might not need to replace the whole block, just look it overgood and see whats going on.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:00 PM

SmokinRam

When we did the Head gasket on my 98 we miss aligned the pushrods.... Didn't seat them in the lifters right. I would check that. It is real easy to do.

Moparmax
Old 05-26-2006, 05:38 PM

Well i just dropped it off. He's going to look at it tonight or in the morring. He's not happy about it at all. I just got it back last week and now this, and everyone with diesels around my area know my truck, and when its getting worked on, so when they know i just got it back, and now its up there again for something major (mybe) then it gives him a bad name and he is just tring to get started in the diesel performance. Is there anything he could have done wrong to cause a conecting rod to go out?? What about a push rod, if ones bent what does it sound like??
Old 05-26-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet he looks at it tonight, I couldn't sleep if I just did that job. I think you droped a valve or if you were really luckey bent a push rod!! HE will know a lot as soon as the valve cover is off.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:12 PM

I had the EXACT thing happen! Knocking, low power, sounded like a 7.3L powerstroke, etc.

The jam nut for the valve adjustment had come off, the pushrod was stuck between the guide & the rocker, and the pushrod was bend.

The rocker had to be replaced as it would not fully pivot.

We are pretty sure the rocker was not seated correctly...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:57 PM

SmokinRam

When we did the Head gasket on my 98 we miss aligned the pushrods.... Didn't seat them in the lifters right. I would check that. It is real easy to do.

Moparmax
I had the EXACT thing happen! Knocking, low power, sounded like a 7.3L powerstroke, etc.

The jam nut for the valve adjustment had come off, the pushrod was stuck between the guide & the rocker, and the pushrod was bend.

The rocker had to be replaced as it would not fully pivot.

We are pretty sure the rocker was not seated correctly...

But when these things happen, Did it do it the first time you started it or did it take some time, like i said i have a 150miles on it sence i got it back from HG change. Hopefully i will know more tommorw, thanks for the input guys-Chris

Quick Reply: Think I blew it up!!!