Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

These Shocks are BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These Shocks are BAD!

Well I bought a set of D25 coils from a member in the classifieds and he had a set of Edelbrock IAS shocks that were 2.5" longer than stock he also included so I landed them in this weekend and THEY SUCK
OK I need new ones and was going with the Bilstein 5100 or the KYB Monomax Whats your suggestion and why?
Also would like the part #s for either in the longer fronts if someone can help out, the parts guy I talked to said they dont have #s for longer shocks just stock aplications
Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, I put some Monroes on the front of mine, and added my 2" leveling kit. Its plenty tall for the shock, but I think itll be alright. Bilsteins are good shocks too. Good luck...
Old 01-23-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did my 2WD and replaced the shocks with KYB MonoMax shocks ... awesome! I got the numbers from KYB. I sent them an email, outlining what I was doing, and they sent me a reply with the correct numbers ... excellent customer service!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

5100's are a bit stiff for a daily driver empty truck.

Otherwise, they are great, but I only have 6 months or so on mine.

phox
Old 01-23-2006, 10:32 PM

Hey Phox where did you find the info on what shock to get for your lift? The silly Bilstein site wont give me any options for my truck? Every time I enter 98 dodge in their search box it tells me to try again? I would rather a bit stiff when empty than to mushy when loaded so...?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 PM

Jerry,

I think your springs are what's making it stiff......not enough wraps in those SJ springs.
Even with the stock 440# rate it'd ride alot better.

Them SJ coils are stiff, those were the first thing that went when I re-did my suspension.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cowhand
Jerry,

I think your springs are what's making it stiff......not enough wraps in those SJ springs.
Even with the stock 440# rate it'd ride alot better.

Them SJ coils are stiff, those were the first thing that went when I re-did my suspension.
Yes, the springs are stiff, add-a-leaf even stiffer.

The 5100's made the ride better than the SJ springs that came with the lift, but they are made more for loaded trucks.
They are getting better as time goes on, but that first day after I put them on, I didn't get why everyone was praising them.

The 500# of tube sand I have in the bed has made the ride even better.

One of these days I'll win a lottery and be able to get some nice springs and Thuren parts.

phox
Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 PM

I'm right there with ya....waiting on a winning lottery ticket myself so I can finish my rear springs and shock mounts.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ratsun
Hey Phox where did you find the info on what shock to get for your lift? The silly Bilstein site wont give me any options for my truck? Every time I enter 98 dodge in their search box it tells me to try again? I would rather a bit stiff when empty than to mushy when loaded so...?
I ran into the same thing, so I went to the place I got my lift from and asked them, and they set me up.

Try this page
http://www.bilstein.com/suvs_5100.php

phox
Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
I ran into the same thing, so I went to the place I got my lift from and asked them, and they set me up.

Try this page
http://www.bilstein.com/suvs_5100.php

phox

Very nice work sir, just what I was looking for thank you
Old 01-23-2006, 11:35 PM

Ratsun the Bilstein shock you are looking for is # BE5-6681-H5 these are for 2in. of lift these are what I am running.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:10 AM

msing
Thanks for the part # How do you like them?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:01 PM

i'm running teh d25 coils with longer bds shocks... i work my truck in the bush and she takes a daily beating on the oil roads and no problems whatsoever. runs a lot smoother too. not to mention those shocks are cheap. i got both brand new for under a 100cdn.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ratsun
Well I bought a set of D25 coils from a member in the classifieds and he had a set of Edelbrock IAS shocks that were 2.5" longer than stock he also included so I landed them in this weekend and THEY SUCK
OK I need new ones and was going with the Bilstein 5100 or the KYB Monomax Whats your suggestion and why?Thanks
There are the older twin tube IAS shocks, and the newer, monotube IAS shocks. Write down the P/N's and call Edelbrock's customer support...tell them you are very unhappy, maybe they'll hook you up?

I have heard NOTHING but good things about the monotube IAS's.

I've got KYB monomax's on my truck and they are noticably softer than the Bilstein's on a 2500 I rode in... Mine may be worn out on the front though.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:08 PM

Eskimo
They are the older twin tube ones and I got them second hand from someone so I would feel a litttle shady calling them? Anyway I have just heard thru the grapevine that Edlbrock was going to discontinue this line in the near future as sales are not where they need to be? Since I need back shocks also I will just go with a set of Bilsteins. Trying to find the best price now.

Quick Reply: These Shocks are BAD!