Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Is There No Programmers For 96 CTDs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is There No Programmers For 96 CTDs?

Was looking through my 4WheelParts magazine today, and NONE of the programmers seem to work for the 96 3500 CTDs. All are either for 92-95 or 97-06. I mean whats goin on here, was 96 an ugly duckly year or what?

Also on a side note, I just started lookin for easy mods to do for beginners and I was wondering about the Silencer Ring. I'm currently away from my truck, but I was just wondering if anyone knew off hand if the 96 does indeed have a SR? I understand how to remove it (if it turns out I have one), but where exactly is it located?

And (sorry to keep goin on), but I came across a thread that talked about "swiss-cheeseing" the airbox to improve airflow or something? What exactly were they talking about? And if I plan to get a BHAF sometime down the road, is this something that would still be a good idea to do (and if it is, how would I go about doing this)?

Hah sorry about being such a greenhorn, but we all gotta start somewhere eh?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:37 PM

You can only use the programmers for the 24 valve engines which are electronic. Yours is a 96 so it is all mechanical so no programmers for it.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Weg

If by programmers you mean a "box" to add timing/fuel to the engine. The 96's don't use them, the engine is mechanical meaning you have to tweak stuff in the pump internally. Search for things like 3gsk(govener spring kit), fuel plate (should bring up alot of info on sliding stock plates to aftermarket plates).

I believe all the 94-98.4 12v's had the silencer ring but I could be wrong on this one.

"swiss-cheeseing" the air box would be drilling some holes in the bottom (correct me if i'm wrong I never did mine) so it would have a less restrictive intake into the box itself.
If you were going to go with a BHAF you would not reuse the factory air box so you can not "swiss-cheese" a BHAF setup.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:34 PM

Yep. No boxes for us. Actually have to do a little wrenching. No fancy ***** here.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:48 PM

PureTexanRebel

Looking at your sig you either have the original 12v engine or someone swapped in a 24v. As previously mentioned it's all mechanical. That's a good thing. The governor spring kit will wake the engine. You won't believe how great it'll rev after install. On my 96' I went with the 3k GSK. It also comes in a 4k GSK. Technically capable of upto 4,000rpm's. The 4k GSK also requires replacing the exhaust valve springs. The 96-98 5spd came with more power from the factory than all other 12v's. The injection pump and injectors are a little different. I had my stock torque plate modified for a little extra power. On the dyno I went from 440lb tq at rear wheels to 600lb tq. If I slid the plate all the forward I could net 700lb tq. Sliding the plate all the way forward also increases heat measured by an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge.

Before doing any mods take care of the KDP(killer dowel pin). There are two ways of doing this. Either the tap or jig method. Try search and determine what's best for you. Before adding power do gauges. EGT and boost will probably be enough since you're a 5spd. For steering I like the DSS. This should give you some ideas to start.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by wcjp
PureTexanRebel

Looking at your sig you either have the original 12v engine or someone swapped in a 24v....

Before doing any mods take care of the KDP... Before adding power do gauges. EGT and boost will probably be enough since you're a 5spd. For steering I like the DSS. This should give you some ideas to start.
Typo. Lol yeah, it most certainly is 12v, thanks for reminding me, caught that earlier but forgot to change it.

Yeah you answered most the questions I was JUST about to ask. So the EGT & Boost gauges (Was lookin at the QuadZilla Commander on the main page... Any good?) should suffice?

A DSS is definitely reccomended? Was looking at SolidSteel.biz's DSS, but they don't list their prices... Know if they're any good, and a ball park figure of their price?

And I'll more than likely be making my own stacks (have a mandrel and mig @ work), then installing the BHAF, then KDP, then the 3gsk or the washer mod (dunno which would be easier for a beginner), then fuel plate.

I just really don't want to throw too much more rwhp to where I burn out my clutch so soon... Just a little more sound, "ooomph", and smoke lol. Once I eventually burn out the clutch, then I'll start doing the more serious mods. Aint been bitten by the bug too badly yet (forgot to mention that money was the most important factor for all these mods haha)
Old 07-17-2006, 08:53 AM

Two vendors I've used in the past with success are:

www.sourceautomotive.biz

www.piersdiesel.com

I'm not familiar with the Commander. I think you'll find it's a 24v item. The DSS is worth every penny. Had no idea until after install and first tow with it installed. I had a 3pod pillar installed on my 96'. It creates a bad blind spot. I went with a single pod pillar on my 06'. No blind spot. Here's the gauge I bought from Geno's Garage.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:54 PM

Wink

your truck has a silencer ring, as mine HAD AT ONE TIME. All that does is increase the turbo and man is it sweet. You will absolutley need gauges before any mods to your truck. The gauges will let you know what is going on with your truck, and warn you if you are too hot or making too much boost r anything. I have a 96 myself if you read my sig, i did all possible freebee mods... And i am happier than a pig in Edit. Fuel plate grinding and afc tuning can be found in simple searches and you can fina a bunch of stuff about your p pum if you search around.

your silencer ring removal is very easy. all you have to do is remove the tubing from the air boz and youll be staring at the intake of the turbo. There will be a flat looking ring in there with a snap like ring dealy. just take a flat head screw driver and place it under the taper where the ring is separate and turn/pry it up and work the ring out. Ipersonally used two flat head screw drivers. Very easy!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:33 PM

Ah thanks yall. Yeah I'm definitely gonna be introducing Mr. Silencer Ring to Mr. Cardboard Box labled Truck Parts lol. I'll be doing all of the other freebee mods after I get those gauges, but those are going to have to wait a little bit. Trying to find myself a daily driver non work truck (I mean cause lets face it, my flatbed is great for work, but the ladies would rather be taken out in something other than a work horse... Personally I dont see why ). Dang limited funds...
Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Banned

You just need different ladies my friend...
Old 07-19-2006, 01:44 AM

Nah, in the case of my work truck they got it right... I'm always hearing "This diesel is way to heavy to go mudding. Why didn't you get this in 4x4? Why don't you lift it, you can't go through deep water with this. We caint lean our seats back with this single cab, where's the fun in that? You can't have smoke stacks with this flatbed."

Hah, I'm like 1.) It's a work truck 2.) Want the power, gotta deal with the extra weight 3.) When do I need 4x4? This is souther Texas, we aint got no snow, and it never goes mudding... Plus, It's a dually, so there's your 4wd 4.) If I lifted it I wouldn't be able to put anything in it or tow anything so easily 5.) Got no excuses for it being a single cab, but we can have just as much fun out on the flatbed 6.) Touché

But in the end, there's just no argueing with em... Plus, do I really need to justify wanting another Cummins shakin in the drive way?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:36 AM

massachusetts ladies dont see the fun in the truck!! They all look at the smoke in disgust and fury while i drive by blowing them some. On the other hasnd i got my Girlfriend and her best friend in love with the smoke.
SHE THINKS MY STACKS ARE SEXY!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 PM

Lol... Move to Texas. You're looked down upon if you don't have a big loud powerful truck here.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:51 PM

lol... i wish i could leave this **** hole of a liberal city. I hate it!
Old 07-19-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PureTexanRebel
Lol... Move to Texas. You're looked down upon if you don't have a big loud powerful truck here.

Hmm

u aint been to laredo my friend.. They see my truck as more of a biohazard (nickname given to it by my ecology prof) than anything else. But its a workhorse, and with my 4wd ud be surprised what ive crossed with this truck, But then again, its a lil ways from stock.

My truck aint a hit with most ladies, but it takes a real woman to appreciate that kinda truck, and the workin guy behind it. It only takes a lil girl to want money or a sugar daddy...

PS Nick is right on the money, u need different ladies, or u can see it like this, if they wont ride in ur truck, then they probly aint worth ur time..

Rick

Quick Reply: Is There No Programmers For 96 CTDs?