Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Thanks Don M.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks guys.

So, it sounds like a bigger dryer is highly recommended with the 4's . . . ? It doesnt mention that on Don's website, though it does mention going to "large single turbo's or twin turbo systems only" when going to the 5's.

My use will be a 50/50 ratio, towing up to 13,000 pounds and play use.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With some common sense and respect for the M4s, you can do anything with them.

RJ is right on. An adjustable box would be ideal for towing/racing. I don't tow.

I'm running them with a stock clutch, stock turbo, stock exhaust, etc. They work great, but there's a LOT of untapped potential in them that I'm not seeing because I don't have the right supporting cast.

jlh
Old 07-26-2005, 02:46 PM

Thanks for laugh Don... I asked for 180HP injectors and they dynoed out to 222HP.

brandon.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:08 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by joefarmer
I asked for 180HP injectors and they dynoed out to 222HP.

Nice surprise ! No other changes from the before to the after dyno ?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:11 PM

Smile

Originally posted by HOHN
With some common sense and respect for the M4s, you can do anything with them.

RJ is right on. An adjustable box would be ideal for towing/racing. I don't tow.

I'm running them with a stock clutch, stock turbo, stock exhaust, etc. They work great, but there's a LOT of untapped potential in them that I'm not seeing because I don't have the right supporting cast.

jlh
Thanks HOHN.

So, your saying with an easy right foot to keep EGT's down and an Edge Comp ( for example ), working with the 4's is doable . . . I too have the stock turbo and exhaust in/on right now.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by 38 Cigarette
Nice surprise ! No other changes from the before to the after dyno ?
A set of twins to clear up the fuel were added, but that's the only fueling modification at that time. There's no way the stock HX35 would have begin to make enough air for those injectors.

brandon.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey 38 cigarette get Don to fix you some of his RV275's if you don't won't monster HP. They almost doubled my fuel mileage. I lost a small amout of HP from the 1.75 he had made for me, but the fuel mileage was worth it. I tow with my truck run it hard & work it hard. They have performed very well. Don's quality & pursuit of perfection is why most people use his products. All of these other injectors you see out there, are assembly line injectors.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 38 Cigarette
Thanks HOHN.

So, your saying with an easy right foot to keep EGT's down and an Edge Comp ( for example ), working with the 4's is doable . . . I too have the stock turbo and exhaust in/on right now.
In a nutshell, yes. You'll have to drive around them and write-off the last inch or two of skinny pedal until you get the right supporting hardware (clutch, exhaust, turbo)
Old 07-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Buz

Good points made above. It sounds as if the Mach 4's are the way to go. I don't tow very much, only an occasional tractor or spreader or other equipment - so it's mostly a daily driver. The 4's sound great with all the extra power I guess I'm just still in the dark on the turbo issue. If I run 4's with my current set-up will I constantly have to watch my EGT, or is this only once in a while if I really get on the throttle. I'd bet I could easily go to a bigger turbo with my set up, but I want that to be an option down the road, not another $$$$$$ expense that I am going to have to have just to reasonably drive my truck.

From what I hear I'd love to have the 4's. Just don't know if that is too aggressive???
Old 07-26-2005, 11:50 PM

Re: 38Cigarette

Originally posted by rjohnson
You mean other than the 60 HP?

Both 1.6's and 4's have the lattest technology incorporated in them.
The 4's allow you to play harder when not towing but probable need more air than stock. The Mach 4's are amazing because you can tow with them...but, is it the best choice for towing heavy?
IMO, if towing was my main use for my truck and pretty much all I used it for....I would choose 1.6's and an adjustable box.

Just my opinion.

RJ
I was recommend the Mach 1.6's. Towing is not my main concern, but I need the able to tow heavy if the need arises. When funds are there, I'll call Don personally and talk to him. I might lean to the Mach 2's, but gotta I dont want to run bigger than a HX35/40 hybrid. I'm not going to do a box, just the MAD ECM. This sound reasinable. Would the hybrid turbo clear the air for the M2's?

Originally posted by Buz
Good points made above. It sounds as if the Mach 4's are the way to go. I don't tow very much, only an occasional tractor or spreader or other equipment - so it's mostly a daily driver. The 4's sound great with all the extra power I guess I'm just still in the dark on the turbo issue. If I run 4's with my current set-up will I constantly have to watch my EGT, or is this only once in a while if I really get on the throttle. I'd bet I could easily go to a bigger turbo with my set up, but I want that to be an option down the road, not another $$$$$$ expense that I am going to have to have just to reasonably drive my truck.

From what I hear I'd love to have the 4's. Just don't know if that is too aggressive???
Not sure if you have the Hy turbo, (I do, 2001 autos came with them. a 9cm exhaust housing I believe), but going that big I would definately keep an eye on the EGT's until you learn how the truck handles them. You would be happy I believe going with a slightly bigger turbo. From what I have read the bigger sticks will help spool a bigger turbo faster that stock sticks.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buz, I believe Bob Wagner has M4's, mad ecm, and 35/40 in his pickup and tow's his 5th wheel all over with out any problems.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:37 AM
Buz

So assume I go with the 4's, will I have to keep the comp turned way down or off for towing? Could I ever run 5x5. How hot will the egt's run with average daily driving? Man I can just imagine the extra power with my new tranny upgrades and a set of sticks like these, but I'd sure be pi$$ed if I had to get off the gas all the time or had to worry about damage to the truck if the wife or buddy had to drive it.

95 ram, is the 35/40 a turbo??? I believe I have a HX35, if that was stock on 02 autos.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buz

-35/40 is a Hybrid turbo...same as Bob Wagner runs....HX-35 turbine housing with an HX-40 cool air compressor.

-The 02 automatics come stock with the smaller HY-35 turbo.

-You will surly have EGT problems with a comp...Mach 4's...and an HY-35 turbo.

RJ
Old 07-27-2005, 10:25 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock automatic turbo is too small, IMO to use a Mach 4 and tow.

Using an upgraded turbo like the Dodgezilla would be good though.

The Dodgezilla is an inexpensive turbo and works great. Good value.

Don~
Old 07-27-2005, 06:10 PM

Smile

Originally posted by Don M
The stock automatic turbo is too small, IMO to use a Mach 4 and tow.
Thanks Don. Thats exactly what I needed to know. I have an extended warranty on my truck, so I wont be changing turbo's anytime soon. Looks like its 1.6's for me.

Quick Reply: Thanks Don M.