Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TFOD-HD2 Transgo shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFOD-HD2 Transgo shift kit

Hi all,
I just ordered the above shift kit for my 47re. Anyone had any experience with this kit?? They call it a "Reprogramming" kit.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:11 PM

Anybody heard anything about this kit?? How about the TFOD-Diesel kit?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I jump in here.

This is the kit I have in my trans. I had to re-tune it. I don't agree with some things they do.
Unless they have modified it, I think you are better off buying a VB that has been set -up on a machine, for your truck. I had to remove mine several times- wasteing trans fluid- to get it where I need it.
It is too involved, if you don't really understand the trans, to explain here.
I have been told it is the best kit on the market for our trans.
CONFUSED now?
What is you experience level with this trans?
Remember the 47rh is different from the 47re. Different VB!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 01:44 PM

I have heard that it provides too much line pressure, and too harsh of a shift. I want higher line pressure, but not too high.
As far as how much experience I have with my tranny, I have logged several hours lying under my truck staring up at it.....
Does that count???
I talked with a TC tech that says that the TFOD-Deisel kit provides additional line pressure without overdoing it and will firm up the shifting but not go overboard. He says that the TFOD-HD2 is designed more for the sled-pulling and super-high HP trucks.
Not mine!!
Chris
Old 07-14-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed it in my dad's 96, seems to work great, but it does shift hard, I put the SMR unit in my truck and I love it, no electronics mods. Seems to work very well.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:29 AM

I agree with J-Fox. I have one and it shifts VERY hard. It was installed by a local builder and he has the line pressure set very high (103 psi @ idle). I've had a lot of problems with it jumping into limp mode (yeah, I have an adjustable resistor) for no apparent reason. From time to time, as I'm leaving a light it'll shift right to third as I take my foot off of the brake. If I were to do it again, I'd get a replacement VB that has been already calibrated on a flow bench. The shift kit will save you money up front, but you'll end up spending more in tranny fluid & parts to get it to shift just right.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:08 PM

Hey vssman,
Did you install the TFOD-HD2?
Your tag states just a Trans-go shift kit.
I went ahead and got the standard TFOD-Deisel kit. It is the less harsh kit that raises pressures a bit, but not extravagant. It should be adequate for what I am doing.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:17 AM

I had my local diesel 'expert' do it. (PM me if you want to know who it is.) It even stumped him - He never saw what happened to mine ever before. I can't say exactly what kit was installed, but it was a trans-go shift kit. From what I've learned & experienced (not that I wanted to), a shift kit requires a bit more than just putting in the parts. i.e. you have to drill holes in the VB and will effect shift quality by choosing the size of the hole to drill. So I figure, it's just a lot easier to put in a replacement VB instead of having to drop the pan a few times to make adjustments.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:04 PM

My experience (TFOD-Diesel):

It's a darned good thing I put it in. I have hauled loads exceeding 24K. I have also pegged my 300* trans temp gauge (though not for long)!

You can talk to the guys in the tech dept. @ TransGo, they were quite helpful.

The instructions are a bit vauge. And, unless they've changed it, the video doesn't match up with the written instructions. Use the written.

There was a place on the VB where 2 small holes are drilled into a passage- my VB had an extra path just outside of what the illustration showed.

Mine came with directions on installing the resistor at the computer, but I was advised that this caused problems on some trucks. The tech guy e-mailed instructions for adding the resistor in the VB harness (in the pan).

Though the kit said to install the supplied seals in the converter BEFORE turning up line pressure, the tech guy said go ahead and turn it up a max of 5 turns, which I did.

(see part 2)
Old 07-19-2004, 03:07 PM

part 2:

I did not install the "downshift at any rpm" spool. Mainly because it wasn't clear to me that they meant one gear at a time (whatever shifter position), but said something like "downshift to 1st at any speed". It would be helpful when hauling down grades, or even when trying to stop 24K on flat ground.

There was also something that required pulling the tailhousing off (think it was a spacer under the piston), and I didn't put that in. Just the heavier spring in that servo. Better have a special tool or helper when you try to get that monster compressed and the snap ring back in!

I should put a gauge on it, to see exactly where it is, but that's just another project...

I started out with the 1st shift point spring ( reccomended for 12 valve), but changed to the second (rec for 24 valve) to increase my WOT shift points. It will shift at about 2700 under full throttle.

(I guess I didn't have to break it up, I read the max. char. wrong, oh well.)
Old 07-19-2004, 03:10 PM

part 3:

My shifts are a little firmer under normal driving, but not much. At WOT, they feel about like those of most performace "shift-kitted" cars I've driven.

It does upshift too soon when pulling away from a stop under very light throttle. Also "hunts" when just idling through a parking lot. It's because of the resitor- computer thinks the truck is going faster than it is in order to not read a line pressure "too high" code.

I have taken advantage of the "looseness" of the stock converter. My rpms build quickly, like puting a high stall converter in a hot rod. That lets me get above the peak torque a bit and shifting at higher rpms, is what has let the trans survive the power I'm making. Also, always manually upshift when pulling a large load.

A switch for your TC would be very helpful to hold it out of lockup, or in as driving conditions warrant. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to installing my Emjay.

Ok, that's about it. Hope that helps.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:46 PM

I put the TFOD-diesel shift kit in my truck a while back. I also changed the filter/fluid, and it was doing HORRIBLE before i did this stuff. The TC slipped awful in any gear(i have a lockup switch), the tranny hang gears pretty bad, and it would kick in and out of gear on me all the time, or slip or whatever you want to call it. I think it was starving for fluid. Anyway, now that i have the new filter/fluid/shift kit in, it is night and day difference. It shifts 1st-2nd, and 2nd-3rd great under WOT now(a little early with light throttle), and the TC holds in every gear pretty much now, and it seems to be putting more power to the ground. It gets a little scary drilling those holes, and things, but it wont hurt anything if you do it right. I used a bottle jack to compress the piston that you put the spacer in, and it worked fine. Overall, my tranny does a lot better from either the shift kit, or the filter/fluid change(i know both helped), and i think for just the $50 i paid for my shift kit on ebay, whats to lose? Good luck.

Eric
Old 08-06-2004, 04:21 PM

TFOD-Deisel

Great feedback guys.
I put in the TFOD-Deisel kit, and replaced the stock TC with a Mojave Green HD torque converter.
Am I ever satified with this upgrade!! I also switched over to synthetic fluid in the trans and transfer case. With the new Mag-Hytec pan the whole thing took 28 qts!!!
I'll tell you, this thing is a pulling machine now. The shift points at light throttle are a bit early, but it doesn't bother me. I love having lockup at 1600 rpm. It really puts to HP to the tires that you can feel.
I will be testing the whole install in two weeks when we take a trip with the 5er to the outer banks of NC.
Wish me luck!!
Chris
Old 08-06-2004, 05:16 PM

Im interested in how the Torque Converter is. Does it lock up at 1600rpm? I wouldnt mind to have a nice cheap TC. My stock one is holding ok, but it just doesent put any power to the ground unless I use my TC lockup switch. I was just curious as to how you liked it, and if it seems to be doing good. I saw one on ebay for about $600 or a little more. Is that about what yours cost, and where did u get it? Thanks

Eric
Old 08-06-2004, 05:49 PM

Any of you fellas with the TFOD shift kit experience an improvement in mileage? Scott

Quick Reply: TFOD-HD2 Transgo shift kit