Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Testimonial for Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Testimonial for Gauges

I would like to relate a recent experience I have just had.

I just completed a 4400 mile trip in 9 days towing an 11,000 pound 5th wheel.. Before I started on the trip, I had the dealer change all of the fluids in the rear axle, tranny and engine. Since I also recently installed a big remote tranny cooler, I am still sensitive to how it works, so I'm **** about watching the gauges.

On the first day out, started out fine from Ohio, but somewhere down by Nashville, I noticed that I was having difficulty keeping the transmission temps down. Usually I seem to run about 210-215F transmission temps, but this time I was pushing 220-240F. If I changed out of OD, I could pull them down to normal, but putting it back in OD if I hit any sort of incline they quickly climbed again. I noted that the engine temps seemed to rise a little each time as well, but only from the 3/8 mark up to the next 5/8 mark, which I've often seen before while towing, so I wouldn't have thought much about it.
I pulled over in a truck stop, and checked the transmission fluids. Nothing there. I looked underneath and it was like a heavy rainfall from the bottom of the pan. Result, I had a blown pan gasket. Turned out that the dealer had used RTV sealant on a rubber gasket, and all it did was lubricate the gasket so it slid out from between the gasket faces. Got it fixed.
Coming back home again, around Oklahoma City, I noticed exactly the same thing again. This time I had fluid with me and it took 4 qts to bring it up to being visible on the dipstick. Managed to get it to a dealer this time. Turned out it was another blown pan gasket. This time the truck mechanic in Nashville had over torqued the bolts and distorted the pan. Got it fixed again. As before, engine temps never really changed from what I've seen before while towing.

My reason for posting this is to say if I had not had gauges, I would probably have trashed the transmission. I would never have seen the temperature rise in the pan.

Thank goodness for gauges.

One final note, I seem to be able to generate heat in my transmission faster than I can get rid of it, even with the super duty cooler. If I pull over and check the temps with an infra-red temp sensing gauge, the fluid going into the cooler is about what I read on the transmission temp gauge, while the fluid leaving the cooler is always about 110F. Yet my temps can still climb in the transmission.
Incidently, the fan on the remote cooler has no effect above 20 mph. It does have a good effect when stuck in traffic.

Does anyone think a Mag-Hytech pan might help?

John
Old 09-17-2004, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Testimonial for Gauges

Originally posted by John H
One final note, I seem to be able to generate heat in my transmission faster than I can get rid of it, even with the super duty cooler. If I pull over and check the temps with an infra-red temp sensing gauge, the fluid going into the cooler is about what I read on the transmission temp gauge, while the fluid leaving the cooler is always about 110F. Yet my temps can still climb in the transmission.
John,

I note you've upgraded to a 4 speed automatic (a 47RH?) Do you have a locking torque converter? If so, is the lockup working?

Rusty
Old 09-17-2004, 12:22 PM

I certainly am no auto expert. This is the first one I have owned. With that said, I don't see how a larger capacity pan could hurt. I would be especially tempted to get one in your case with the stocker being mangled by the dealer in Nashville (unless of course they replaced it for you at their expense, which they should have done ).

Another question for you. Where are you picking up your tranny temp? In the pan, or in-line to the cooler? Thanks!

Matt
Old 09-17-2004, 01:32 PM

Guages to the rescue!! I'm glad they saved your trip from becoming expensive.

It still floors me how many people don't put any guages of any sort in thier trucks. What's cheaper, a $100 or so dollar guage or a $2000 transmission rebuild or a $1000 plus turbo. It amazes me why they don't put them in.

A guy I work with just got back from holidays. His truck is equipped similar to my sig, but no guages. He says he doesn't need them!!! I guess that's why he once drove over 700 miles with a blown intercooler boot towing a 34 ft travel trailer. Cost him an engine, and he still doesn't have any guages.

I don't get it!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:28 PM

You might also try a PML trans. pan. They are similar to mag-hytec in that they allow for more fluid capacity, but they seem to be quite a bit more reasonable pricewise.
Good luck

www.yourcovers.com
Old 09-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Re: Re: Testimonial for Gauges

Originally posted by RustyJC
John,

I note you've upgraded to a 4 speed automatic (a 47RH?) Do you have a locking torque converter? If so, is the lockup working?

Rusty

This is where I would start also. A slipping converter generates ALOT of heat.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Chapter President

Re: Re: Testimonial for Gauges

Originally posted by RustyJC
John,

Rusty
I can't find where it says he upgraded ? The auto in a 1993 is a 4 speed, but did not have a lockup converter.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Testimonial for Gauges

Originally posted by Holsteinman
I can't find where it says he upgraded ? The auto in a 1993 is a 4 speed, but did not have a lockup converter.
You're right. I am still using the transmission the truck came with, and it doesn't lock up. I really wish it did.

I was thinking about the Mag-Hytech pan because of the cooling fins on the bottom, not the extra fluid. But, I am not sure of the fluid circuits in the transmission. If I am already putting cold fluid back into the pan, will adding extra cooling to the pan do anything for me? My thoughts were maybe I'm generating the heat in the torque converter, which on this model is not being flushed very fast, so the heat can build up faster than it can get pumped around the coolers.

John
Old 09-17-2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by gsdog1
I certainly am no auto expert. This is the first one I have owned. With that said, I don't see how a larger capacity pan could hurt. I would be especially tempted to get one in your case with the stocker being mangled by the dealer in Nashville (unless of course they replaced it for you at their expense, which they should have done ).

Another question for you. Where are you picking up your tranny temp? In the pan, or in-line to the cooler? Thanks!

Matt
The second time it was fixed, the dealer said he could straighten out the pan face and just add the new gasket. It hasn't leaked yet, so he was right about that.

I have the transmission temperature gauge installed right at the output from the transmission to the super duty cooler. I wonder whether I would have seen any increase in temperature at all, with the gauge in the pan? That's a scary thought. If that's true, that's one more reason to put the gauge in the outlet line.

John
Old 09-17-2004, 10:30 PM

Thanks John!

Matt
Old 09-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Testimonial to support gauges. Had no EGT and this happened.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/2
Old 09-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Some folks have to learn the hard way.

Theres a mentality in my area that gauges are a waste of money.
Get in and drive.

However, recently a diesel shop here has taken on the task of convincing folks what gauges are for by showing a blown up Dmax, a row of 6.5's that are gettin rebuilt and a few head gaskets from some Rams. There where no Fords in the shop but I was assured he has seen his share of trouble with them too.

Any truck he has had with gauges in there were not there for major work like the others.

Glad you made it safe and found the problem in advance.

Scotty
Old 09-18-2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Scotty
Some folks have to learn the hard way.

Theres a mentality in my area that gauges are a waste of money.
Get in and drive.

However, recently a diesel shop here has taken on the task of convincing folks what gauges are for by showing a blown up Dmax, a row of 6.5's that are gettin rebuilt and a few head gaskets from some Rams. There where no Fords in the shop but I was assured he has seen his share of trouble with them too.

Any truck he has had with gauges in there were not there for major work like the others.

Glad you made it safe and found the problem in advance.

Scotty
Thanks, where 'bouts in Regina are you? We have a plant in Melville, and occasionally I get to visit. Last time in Regina was in February 2003. BRRRRRR! -37F, 35 mph wind. Did I ever tell you that was cold?

John