Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TDR and other forum members, i need a favor

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TDR and other forum members, i need a favor

Pretty much

Im sick and tired of being sick and tired of that dang 370 surge. I finally had the last of it today, a good clutch, plus improper injector spraying and the truck surging back and forth makin me look like a rookie manual tranny driver just plain got the best of me today.. This problem is downright severe now when i take off in low first and shift to second, when i take off from second and shift to third it still happens too, It is also happening now when i let off the accelerator because of a bump and i get back on the throttle.... It dont help much either that when that happens i hear some severe clanging coming from the transmission.. i dont make much money and dont want to break anything else....

I have tried backin off the Starwheel, ive also tried backin off the AFC housing, ive tried backin off the plate, and even swappin out delivery valves to the stock 181s and nothing seems to work anymore.... surging is still there. I sold my 215 injectors and i more than kick myself for it right now....

My favor is, that i need anyone who is a member of TDR or any other cummins forum to look up those "half cut" scheids delivery valves. I need some reviews and reports of how much power they actually give and if they really do kill that downright irritating 370 surge.

Also if anyone can answer this, What is so different about these injectors that makes them do this, aside from the spray pattern? why would half cut DV;s solve the problem that these things have?

I know the best solution right now is save up and get some DDP 4's or similar EDM injectors, but for a lesser cost can i somehow salvage these stupid injectors and kill this surge? Thanks guys for the help

At the end of my rope...

Rick
Old 08-15-2006, 12:10 AM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick,
Have you considered that your problem could be your 4k gsk. Very touchy throttle response causing surging? Try bracing your throttle foot against the tranny hump. This works for me with my 3k gsk.
Andy
Old 08-15-2006, 12:38 AM

before I even got to the first respomce I was thinking gsk.....I run 370's and a 4000 gsk. I had surge when I first put the 4000 gsk in....but fixed it then, and that was a couple years ago. I cant remeber which way I went on the springs though, I bet a search might reveal other similar situations.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 1320
before I even got to the first respomce I was thinking gsk.....I run 370's and a 4000 gsk. I had surge when I first put the 4000 gsk in....but fixed it then, and that was a couple years ago. I cant remeber which way I went on the springs though, I bet a search might reveal other similar situations.

Im pretty certain that I need to loosen mine then

simply said, if i bump up the idle anymore than what it is, then these springs with the AC off will just surge the idle on up to about 1200 or so RPMS, then i turn on the ac and they drop to about 800 or so

if im not mistaken, tightening them will give those famous hanging RPMS that ive already run into before.. hmm

Im certain it cannot be a throttle linkage issue, i already took the truck back for the recall....

Ill try loosening these things a couple of clicks... thanks guys

Rick
Old 08-15-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My half cuts made a HUGE difference in the truck surging. I still think I might have a worn out TPS.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Banned

Where did you get the half cuts?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scheid nice pieces
Old 08-15-2006, 05:57 PM
BCB

whats the dif. between half cuts and Laser cuts.

Don't mean to hijack. If you want me to start a new thread i will
Old 08-15-2006, 06:33 PM

When you back off your springs, go one click at a time. Sometimes a little is enough.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:41 PM

The 'hangin rpm' was what I was trying to cure when my pump came apart.

The PO had a 3gsk in it, and had the springs cranked almost all the way in it seems. You COULD NOT hold a steady rpm in neutral, and you could not adjust the idle up at all, or it would then idle at 1500 plus.

Hopefully this new or rebuilt pump will cure those issues
Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 PM

definately lossen the gov springs. mine are set to where it fuels to 3800 and there is no surge. but your 370's are not the cause of this. also if your going to spend the money get full cut dv's. I had mine installed when the pump was on the bench and he kept my old ones as cores but they cost $170 and add 120cc's of fuel.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by wana12v
definately lossen the gov springs. mine are set to where it fuels to 3800 and there is no surge. but your 370's are not the cause of this. also if your going to spend the money get full cut dv's. I had mine installed when the pump was on the bench and he kept my old ones as cores but they cost $170 and add 120cc's of fuel.

Thanks again for info..

these flow 120 ccs over stock DVs? isnt taht close to about 75 rwhp or so? good lord, but granted u need air to maximize these things.. I know my stock 35 will be eaten up by these things quickly...

I most definately need to adjust my governer springs tho, have yet to do it tho, cause i need the time and a large screwdriver to go ahead and twist back the retaining nut.

i will keep posted as towards how this works out...

Rick
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM

120cc's over 181's

I sold my old exhaust to a guy yesterday and he had these dv's plus 370's and 17.5 timing and a stock 35 he dynod 404 on dunbars dyno on a 175 pump. he said with the gate blocked it was making over 56 psi so he had to re enable the gate. I thought youd like to know since your trying to get over 400 on a stock turbo
Old 08-17-2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1320
Got it done today

I loosened up the G springs till they are almost about out. My g springs no longer click so i backed them off about 1/2 a whole turn, and well, Now i can say

NO MORE SURGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, i got rid of it per say, But now i have an issue that these things are too loose, i feel that they act like stock governer springs, the truck lights all of a sudden and it does run, But i lost some top end boost, and my throttle isnt as responsive and I feel like i lost some power, i no longer feel like the accelerator is stuck to the tach directly. Also knowing that my idle was very low when i turned on the truck (250 rpms or so) i went ahead and adjusted the idle and drove them around, well i can say, the truck just plain sucks now. Im gonna try tightening them 1/8 of a turn and see what they do, I figure that if the way that they were, halfway towards what is now and what it was would be a happy medium.

I will experiment with the springs this weekend and see what i can get out of them. I know that once i tighten them my idle will go up again too high and i can readjust it and take it for a ride and see what gives..

Thanks guys!

Rick
Old 08-23-2006, 10:47 AM

I m betting you didn t get all the stock springs out. I would pull the gsk apart and check with a magnet for the small spring down in there. I accidentally left one in , and when I did the other side I found out when I got an extra spring out of it.

Quick Reply: TDR and other forum members, i need a favor