Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TC question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC question

What HP do you think I am at with the current setup of my truck( info in signature) my futrure plans are some injectors after the trans upgrades. I need to know if I really need the 1200 triple disc TC or can I save some money and get the single for 650. I know the triple is bullet proof but has any had any problems with there single? I am looking at Gerend brothers for the parts heard good things from the list on them and they answered all my question very friendly and helpfull.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's a matter of preference, triple or single. When set up correctly both will serve you well.

A lot depends on how you will use the truck too.

If you're going to drag race and do high boost lauches in 4wd, billet shaft might save you some long term money and headaches.

As I decifer all the information that I read this is how I view it. The 3rd gear drum needs some attention along with the valve body. You don't want to have shift over lap. A higher ratio apply lever might not be a bad idea, stock is 3.8 going with a 4.2 will add more clamping force. Replacing seals and gasket along with better clutch, steels etc... couldn't hurt. I'm not a tranny guy, but I will be replacing the TC and doing some internal work to the tranny someday soon. I plan on doing a write up with some pic's to give some people an idea of what's involved.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Like Mike said, it will depend on how you use the truck.....IMO, a tapped Comp with 100hp injectors would put a single disc converter at risk if you tow or do some racing. With a triple disc TC, there would be no doubts if it will hold up. IMO, things like TC's are not where you should be looking to save money. Do it once and do it right....but before you decide, call a couple of the well known aftermarket TC manufacturers and ask the experts....The reputable companies stand behind their products and want to see you get the proper converter too.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:34 PM

Do you you all know anything about these parts? there from?

www.oregonperformancetransmission.com

DODGE 618 A618 TRANSMISSION MASTER REBUILD 98-UP

CUMMINS DIESEL A618 A518 618 HD TORQUE CONVERTER BILLET

500 518 618 ATSG SERVICE REBUILD TRANSMISSION MANUAL

TRANSGO TFOD-HD2 TORQUEFLITE DODGE CUMMINS SHIFT KIT

TRANSGO A518 A618 SEPARATOR PLATE TRANSMISSION 95-02

We can also add the Rear Kevlar band to the kit for $19.95
Old 04-21-2005, 06:50 PM

i dont think it will make a difference what TC u get if that all u get...if u have a leak in there or pressure differences which will lead to leaks then ur TC wont help u and u'll end up having to do a full rebuild anyway....get a proper rebuild...with all the seals and proper testing..so that its leak proof...then after that whether its triple disk or single it wont matter that much....if its internally balanced then u can run pressures greater than 200 psi and the TC clutch will never let go

just my 2 cents..feel free to educate me on something i may have totally backwards