Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TC Lockup Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC Lockup Switch

OK, here goes my first Auto Tranny question...I'm so ashamed of myself for buying one

What will a lockup switch hurt in a stock tranny?? I'm sick of the way this thing shifts already, and can't afford my DTT tranny (gotta pay off the truck first). I know a lockup switch won't make it shift better, but at least I can control something...like lockup in 3rd and 4th!

What will locked shifts from 3rd to OD hurt?? As long as the tranny lasts long enough for me to pay for a DTT, I don't care whats left over It's staying stock 'till then anyway

Thanks in advance guys,
Chris
Old 06-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Banned

Well as long as you don't abuse the tranny with the lockup switch engaged, it doesn't really do much to it. All it's doing is keep the TQ Converter from slipping........which I'll agree is so dang annoying!! Unless you are throwing a mad amount of power to it......then it'll slip the converter while engaged !!!

The only thing to keep in mind is to disengage that puppy before you come to a stop or it will kill the truck and your tranny won't like it all that much either.

If I were you I'd save up about $450 bucks and get a valve body, makes a HUGE difference and you won't have to worry about hurting your tranny as you might with a lockup switch!

~Nick
Old 06-20-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris,
You won't hurt much cause you probably only need it in third. 4th (OD) stays locked all the time...No? Mine always has! Some say it still starts out in 4th as unlocked and just locks up quickly?? I have never felt it do that and don't think it does.
I did drive a 95 47RE (Goerand) that obviously unlocked in 4th...so maybe earlier 47RE's were different than my 02?

If you engage the lock up switch in third and leave it into forth (well over 60 +/- ...I don't think you'll hurt much!

But I never felt the need for one so others may know better. Ck w/ BB...he has one!

Come on...admit it! That auto is growing on you, Huh??
Is it healthy?

RJ
Old 06-20-2006, 01:37 PM

The Auto is "fairly" healthy...RPM doesn't change until 3rd Lockup, but once in a real gear, it stays no problems

I'll probably be ordering a DTT VB soon...as soon as I get the courage up to install it There is nobody in this area who does it

The lock-up switch will be used to tide me over, and playing of course
Thanks Guys,
Chris

BTW, I will continue to hate the Auto until it says DTT on the side (or wherever it says it????) Then, I'l finally be able to put some power through it, and I'll really like my new truck. 'Till then, I HATE SLUSHBOXES
Old 06-20-2006, 04:44 PM

Different years do the TC lockup differently. On 02's (and I believe 01.5's), they will shift locked from 3rd to 4th. Stock earlier ones unlock going into 4th, and then re-lock once in 4th.

With a "tight" convertor, the lockup switch is of less use, except maybe towing. When dragracing my truck there is very little difference when using the lockup switch and when not using it. It's more consistent if I don't use it.

What can it damage? Output shaft. With a stock truck, and not towing, I doubt it happens very often though. Give Bill K. a call, I'm sure he will tell you what will happen.

The plus side is, that trying a lockup switch will give you an idea what it will be like with a DTT trans. Oh, yeah.. 4th gear switches are nice too!

Paul
Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 PM

Dave Goerend told me if you shift from 3 to 4 when locked up with stock trans it will break input shaft. And they all unlock during this shift when stock, ever so briefly for some and longer for others.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:29 AM

In the wrong hands, a TC lockup switch can kill a transmission pretty fast. With just the slid plate and 3KGSK i couldnt slip my converter no matter how hard i tried. After i got gauges i cut my plate to a 100 and when locked, my converter didnt seem to like any thing below 2000rpm. Ive done many 3rd to 4th locked shifts with no problems at all. It can be hard to tell if the TC is slipping or not. But once you learn how to tell, its pretty easy to control. If you really wanna make your torque converter hate you, get it in 4th gear, lock it up, slow down to about 45 and then roll into the throttle Its pure murder to a stock TC if the motor has many HP mods. The TC lockup switch did make my truck much better to drive. My converter was always locking/unlocking when goin down the road. Gets on your nerves REAL quick. As long as youre dont act stupid with it, your tranny should be fine for quite a while.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:59 AM

Got it on there last night...it works!!

Got another question though...Should I be able to lock it in 2nd gear?? If I have the shifter in "D" and flip the switch, it goes straight to 3rd (maybe even 4th, but I had the O/D off) If I leave the shifter in 2nd, it stays in 2nd until I shift to "D".
I thought it should lock 2nd too

Thanks Again Guys,
Chris
Old 06-21-2006, 08:19 AM

Like I said, I've no expirience, but many of the damage problems I've read about are guys playing with 2nd to 3rd shifts in lockup. I don't advise it!

Can you feel it unlock in 2nd? I never did on mine, but 02's are different.... maybe it's full time unlocked?? I'll back out and learn, also!

RJ
Old 06-21-2006, 08:22 AM

If I leave it stock, I can't see having any breakage problems...but when I put order in for a DTT, this sucker's TOAST

If it breaks, I guess I get to fix it sooner, though!
Chris
Old 06-21-2006, 09:33 AM

If you have a stock valve plate it will not lock up in 2nd but will jump to 3rd for lock up. This is not a good idea, too much stress. Do not let it shift locked up, this is also too much stress. You may get lucky and have no problems but it's a crap shoot. Can you afford a new tranny tomorrow? I have used the switch for quite a while but all it is used for is to stop or control shifting while towing and engine braking on grades while towing. It is very usefull for this reason but you must be light with the shifts. Don't want to snap a shaft.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:54 AM

Real solution

Forget a manual lockup switch. You are going to be too busy to use it correctly. Buy an ATS lockup controller, and set the lock/unlock where you want them, and just drive. You get second gear lockup if you buy their valve body, and the contoller is reliable. Mine's been on three 1/2 years now. Trust me, it's the best solution. Remember, the only thing wrong with your tranny is the TC, and a good valve body and triple lock will make it nearly perfect.

Ron
Old 06-21-2006, 10:22 AM

Thanks...but like I said, I'm not worried about locked shifts with a stock tranny and engine. Once the DTT goes in, the lockup switch probably won't hardly be used anymore, maybe just for dynoing

Can I afford it tomorrow, no! Could I buy it if I needed to, Yep The way I see things on these trucks, if it breaks, I build it better. I'm good at testing things

Thanks for your concern though,
Chris
Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Banned

That's the attitude to have!!!! If it breaks it wasn't good enough in the first place............or at least thats my theory!!

~Nick
Old 06-21-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ol ron
Forget a manual lockup switch. You are going to be too busy to use it correctly. Buy an ATS lockup controller, and set the lock/unlock where you want them, and just drive. You get second gear lockup if you buy their valve body, and the contoller is reliable. Mine's been on three 1/2 years now. Trust me, it's the best solution. Remember, the only thing wrong with your tranny is the TC, and a good valve body and triple lock will make it nearly perfect.

Ron
Once you get an aftermarket TC, you wont use the lock up switch nearly as much since the fluid coupling is sooo much tighter.

Quick Reply: TC Lockup Switch