Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tapping VP44 wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is directly from Cummins. I get the newsletter.
Should I Be Concerned About Fuel Lubricity?
Lubricity is the fuel quality that prevents or minimizes wear in diesel fuel injection equipment. Diesel lubricity is largely provided by trace levels of naturally occurring compounds in the fuel that form a protective layer on metal surfaces.

In order to meet the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) specifications, refineries now utilize processes that not only reduce the sulfur content of diesel blend components, but also remove compounds that provide lubricity. This has led to some concern that ULSD fuel might result in lubricity problems for fuel injection equipment.

Should you be concerned about the fuel lubricity for your Cummins Turbo Diesel engine? The answer is no.

All diesel fuel sold in the U.S. since January 2005 must meet a fuel lubricity specification established by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). Any fuel lubricity additives necessary to meet this new specification are added by the fuel suppliers before the fuel hits the pumps. So you do not need to add fuel lubricity additives to your highway diesel fuel.

Oh ya quit using ATF in your fuel. The ATF of today is synthetic & doesn't burn well and as stated above has friction modifiers that will hurt your IP.
But i still use PS white bottle every fill up.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeR
STOP USING ATF!!!!!!

Who said it was okay to use atf in your fuel system?? Not some old trucker I hope!

ATF has friction additives for your transmission to hold. Those do not work as a lubricant on your pump and injectors. Quit using it!
The fuel additives you buy have all the lube help you need.

Honestly your wasting money changing your filter every 3k miles too. 10k is soon enough.
Ell I am a old Trucker atf was made for Transmission not a fuel additive.