Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tapping VP44 wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapping VP44 wire

I have had the edge juice w/att for a few months. I did do the wire tap. Does the wire tap cause premature VP death???? I usually drive with it on stage 1 for mileage, and occasionally hit stage 3, and rarely stage 5. Anyone have any evidence that this hurts the VP. Last week I installed the glacier walbro 392 and have excellent pressure. Is low pressures the only cause of VP death? Please educate me on this...Thanks.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Chapter President

Ever since I put in my new VP I have been running TCW-3 two stroke oil with every fill. Maybe 1 quart with every full tank. As far as the VP failure there seems to be just as many that fail due to electrical related problems as mechanical. The percentage is probably higher for the electrical, the P0216 is timing circuit malfunction. Since my new install I run the 2-stroke oil and have upgraded to the Holley blue and Vulcan Big Line kit. Bottom line is I still use it like a truck and have come to expect there are going to be specific model related maintenance items due from time to time
Old 10-13-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by wurkenman
Ever since I put in my new VP I have been running TCW-3 two stroke oil with every fill. Maybe 1 quart with every full tank. As far as the VP failure there seems to be just as many that fail due to electrical related problems as mechanical. The percentage is probably higher for the electrical, the P0216 is timing circuit malfunction. Since my new install I run the 2-stroke oil and have upgraded to the Holley blue and Vulcan Big Line kit. Bottom line is I still use it like a truck and have come to expect there are going to be specific model related maintenance items due from time to time
Thanks. I do everything I can. I installed the walbro, have a gauge, I run lucas fuel additive(more than recommended) and never go below 1/4 tank of fuel.

BTW, what are fuel temps supposed to be? I had the attitude monitor put the fuel temp on display and i seen it go from 72 degrees to 108 in 10 miles. What are normal fuel temps. I live in East Texas so it is usually hot here. Right now we have a cool snap at 82 degrees high, and 59 low.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM

Some people believe it does but there is alot of guys running with no failures since tapping there wire.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the Stealth cover for your VP and have fun. without tapping your pump you don't gain anything over level 3.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:22 PM

I had a stealth cover. They are crap. Don't waste your money on them.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
VP44's are just a roll of the dice, you don't know what you are going to get.
We see failures happen to trucks that never had bad supply pressure, and on the flip, I have seen plenty of high hp trucks that suffered many dead lift pumps, and still have their original VP.

But since the introduction of the new crap ultra low sulfur fuel last year, at the shop we started seeing alot more failures come in.
All you can do is, run a psi gauge or warning light for your lift pump, and always use a fuel additive.

Trending Topics

Old 10-13-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
VP44's are just a roll of the dice, you don't know what you are going to get.
We see failures happen to trucks that never had bad supply pressure, and on the flip, I have seen plenty of high hp trucks that suffered many dead lift pumps, and still have their original VP.

But since the introduction of the new crap ultra low sulfur fuel last year, at the shop we started seeing alot more failures come in.
All you can do is, run a psi gauge or warning light for your lift pump, and always use a fuel additive.

So I am doing the right thing with the lucas fuel additive? And everytime I change the fuel filter(3000 miles) I pour in some ATF. Is there any thing else I can do besides pray it lives???
Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 PM

I have been told not to use ATF. It will turn the fuel red which is the same as off road diesel which could lead to one big mess. I run marine 2 cycle oil in my fuel.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Adam3291
I have been told not to use ATF. It will turn the fuel red which is the same as off road diesel which could lead to one big mess. I run marine 2 cycle oil in my fuel.

The ATF could'nt be in there more than a minute or so. I pour it into the fuel filter housing, not the tank.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 PM

Ok I think you are good then, I missed that part. Sorry
Old 10-14-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, all of that fuel in the housing still gets recirculated back to the tank via 15 psi overflow valve that is incorporated into the return flow line banjo bolt that mounts directly to the VP. This overflow valve is the "incorportated cooling system" for the VP.

Now if your VP used every drop of fuel pumped to it, you're right, no dye would make it back to the tank, but over half of the fuel gets recirculated. One evidence of this "72 to 108* in ten miles".
Old 10-14-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
Actually, all of that fuel in the housing still gets recirculated back to the tank via 15 psi overflow valve that is incorporated into the return flow line banjo bolt that mounts directly to the VP. This overflow valve is the "incorportated cooling system" for the VP.

Now if your VP used every drop of fuel pumped to it, you're right, no dye would make it back to the tank, but over half of the fuel gets recirculated. One evidence of this "72 to 108* in ten miles".

Ok, let me ask you this, what exactly does the atf dye do to my fuel? Is it that harmful?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:16 PM

Its not harmful, just the ATF will die it red like off road diesel and if your tank gets dipped you would have a big mess to deal with.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
STOP USING ATF!!!!!!

Who said it was okay to use atf in your fuel system?? Not some old trucker I hope!

ATF has friction additives for your transmission to hold. Those do not work as a lubricant on your pump and injectors. Quit using it!
The fuel additives you buy have all the lube help you need.

Honestly your wasting money changing your filter every 3k miles too. 10k is soon enough.

Quick Reply: Tapping VP44 wire