Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

take a lookee at this mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, that’s not as restrictive as the manifold, I am sure of that. Those bends are fairly sweeping. I am sure that will outflow a stock manifold by a very considerable margin. As far as underhood temps, ALL exhaust manifolds whether headers or stock cast should be coated and insulated. In the case of this header, it just MUST be coated…. Forget the chrome, you want the JetHot or Airborn coatings on it.

That’s a fairly nice piece, but I saw a thread a while back where another guy made a custom header for himself, and that one was VERY nice.

Another thing to remember, and I have said this a million times on here, is that the mass of the manifold has a serious contribution to turbo lag. Any header that is thin walled and light will contribute drastically to quicker turbo spool. Provided all that surface area doesnt dissipate too much heat.... aka back to my comment above about insulating the exhaust.

FWIW, I will not do twins without also making myself a nice header and it WILL be coated and jacketed, as will both turbine housings.

KP
Old 02-01-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
Gasssser traasssssh!
That must be the reason Sbentz is running a header on the Cummins Rail...
Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 PM

Someone has WAY too much time and money on their hands. I'd handle the $$$ ok haha.
It's been said here several times about supercharged (or turbo charged) motor exhaust. You need only LARGE open ducting to a turbo or LARGE straight pipes for a blown motor. The ram stuff is for unsupercharged stuff. The cast manifold works good as it keeps the heat in. The aftermarket cast headers work good too for the same reason. Tubiing and turbos don't get along unless they are massively insulated. Even then the heat is already through the tube and contained in the insulation.

As for the diesel dragster. Neat piece. His exhaust is pure utilitarian. No ram just big collective tubes. Probably high tech coated for insulation too. A quick straight shot to the turbos. Not even chromed.

As noted the header will undoubtedly heat up an already hot underhood. Drag racing it probably isn't that big a deal but towing...hang on. The Vp will be getting a big dose even on the the other side. An already delicate situation made worse.

For the hood lifting crown. beautifull and a big "wow" effect. very intimidating. Nice craftsmanship. I'd put the $$$ elsewhere.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Muted User

I'd like to know just what you guys think a ceramic coated header does to underhood temps that a large uninsulated and uncoated cast iron exhaust manifold running at 1,300F doesnt ? A great big log of cast iron and its glowing cherry red, approaching orange.....

Heat doesnt get 'contained' in insulation, the insulation allows the tube surface to stay hotter, keeping heat in the gasses where they belong so they can do their work in the turbine.

And finally ram tuning is not the issue here, those pipes are very short, and there is not a length of common collector, they clearly were not going for any pulse tuning, nor is pulse tuning needed on an forced induction engine. Its just a very light (aka quick spool) and probably good flowing header. EXACTLY what you want. JUST COAT AND INSULATE IT.

KP
Old 02-02-2006, 12:37 AM

I don't know how well it works, since I have not used one. That leads me to ask, how can you bash something by looking at pictures of it? Maybe it's the next big thing, maybe not. I applaud somebody for trying something new. BTW, there are both log style and tubular style turbo manifolds for gas engines.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:41 AM

people are to quickto say it wont work on here, but if you understood pulsing at the higher RPM that any motor does when the when everything is not the same length. For example, the exhaust gases coming out of cylinders 1 and 6 have a lot more distance to travel before reaching the collector and making thier way to the turbo, meanwhile cylinders 3 and 4 go almost directly to the collector, and 2 and 5 are in the middle of the two extremes. At higher rpms this un-equal length causes pulsating(sp?). MY theory is that with an equal lenght manifold such as this one, it would be alot easy for those guys pushing big chargers to spool them and keep them lit as long as there is abundant fuel. The flow from the motor is greatly increased and all the cyclinders should then, in theory be doing the same amount of work, causing better air movement. Just a theory of mine, take it or leave it.