Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tailgate Stolen - Need advice on replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tailgate Stolen - Need advice on replacement...

OK, some low-life stole the tailgate off my truck last week Got the insurance check yesterday and am looking to replace it with a vented flow-thru style. I am looking at the Husky Liner Anodized model (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...9&brandid=616). Any of you have experience or opinion on this brand? I am going to be trading my bumper-tow 28' trailer for a 5th-wheel soon, and might as well buy this type of gate now while I have the opportunity.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've seen several studies that prove that flow thru tailgates decrease your mpgs.
You are better off with a full tailgate.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
I've seen several studies that prove that flow thru tailgates decrease your mpgs.
You are better off with a full tailgate.
I have also heard of this report in that the standard tailgate (when closed) does improve mpg compared to no tailgate.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:38 PM

Hey Bill I was wondering was that study done while running empty only. I would think things would change once you hook a 5vr to the truck because the airodynamics would be different from running empty. I could see the air comming over the cab hitting the nose of the 5vr & some of it would go up & over, some around the sides, but seems to me some would be pushed downward right at a solid tail gate. What do you think?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was done empty. no real way to do it lodaed, as there are too many diff configurations of trailers. One might help, and another might hinder.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Banned

So what about a solid 5th wheel end gate instead of the slotted.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:34 PM

A friend put on on his F-350 after his MF (Massy Fergeson, not that other thing) parked it'self on the stock tailgate going down the freeway. He got an aluminium vented one less then $300 I think. As said with the fifthwheel I doubt it would make a huge difference one way or the other. The drag of the trailer is so large compared to what the tailgate might make I would not worry about it.

One thing make sure it comes with a lock. Or if you go OEM put a lock on it. I think I paid less then $30 for my lock. It is self contained and replaces the plastic facia under the handle. The only bad part is the keys are not the best quality. Just cheap stamped jobs. I haven't had any truoble but my wife managed to brake one right quick and in a hurry.

Randy
Old 01-21-2006, 06:34 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, altho none answered my initial question. I know about how the full gate improves gas mileage and have seen the studies. That is why I am buying the vented one, so it will help create that vaccum in the bed. But since I am trading up for the 5th wheel this year, I am opting to not buy a full gate.

I ordered it today and it should be here next week. It does come with a lock on it already so hopefully I shouldn't lose this one.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Doubt the tailgate would make any difference in mpgs at all with a trailer but who has a trailer hooked up all the time?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:07 PM

my father in law with his 03 HO gained 1.1 mpg. Not much but hey every little bit helps. He didnt lose any mpg's while unloaded either
Old 01-21-2006, 09:53 PM

for what it's worth I think a slotted gate is the way to go with the 5er the i was hauling a goose neck ***** trailor and had a 2' 2x10 (lumber) in the bed and when i would get around 50 mph it would lift off the bed floor about a foot so there is positivly turbulance at the gate when hauling
Old 01-22-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by taken5875
for what it's worth I think a slotted gate is the way to go with the 5er the i was hauling a goose neck ***** trailor and had a 2' 2x10 (lumber) in the bed and when i would get around 50 mph it would lift off the bed floor about a foot so there is positivly turbulance at the gate when hauling
'taken...' - my thot's exactly and this is why I am going with this style of gate, instead of a "true" flow-thru style. Thanks for your input.

Again, I will state that the fuel-economy debate was not the purpose of my post, it was as to the quality of the Husky-Liner Tailgates. As they are higher priced and "seem" to be better built, I went ahead and ordered this model. Once it is installed I will post pic's of my truck with the new gate on.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:57 PM

i have a flow thru style tail gate on mine, it black and has the lil dip in the middle to hook up your goos neck......if you wanted i could email you some pics of it.....and maybe trade you for a full tailgate??? possiblely?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mxdsl183
i have a flow thru style tail gate on mine, it black and has the lil dip in the middle to hook up your goos neck......if you wanted i could email you some pics of it.....and maybe trade you for a full tailgate??? possiblely?
mxdsl183 - Thanks for the offer, but my tailgate was stolen last week, so I don't even have one to trade. I had looked at the black flow thru's and like the look of the anodized aluminum better. It should be here tomorrow or Wed.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Banned

A few guys I know also had there's stolen in 2000. The locking replacement type can be used(for a regular tailgate), or do what I did. Install 2 fender washers on either side of cable which attaches to stud on box, connect with a small screw and locknut. That way nobody can remove cables and take tailgate, without removing screws first.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Stolen - Need advice on replacement...