Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

swap smartys

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swap smartys

is there anyone near me that would like to meet up and swap smartys for about 10 min or just let me try theirs for about 10min? i want to see if there is just something wrong with mine or whats up with the 50% throttle thing. i have talked to a few people that have it stacked same way i do and they reported some of their best runs are with the smarty on sw8 or sw9. i cant run them as i only have power for 50% of the throttle. just want to see whats wrong, if its the smarty or my truck becuase its driving me
Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

Have you tried adjusting your APPS?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

no but i really dont think it has anything to do with my apps. its so freakin wierd and agrivating. at 50% throttle with the smarty on sw9, truck makes 44 psi and truck HAULS, if i go over anything past 50% throttle, i make more boost, about 51psi, but truck falls on its face. now how could i make less boost but truck is WAY faster at 1/2 throttle? i think its a timing thing to tell you the truth. its like past 1/2, if feels like the smarty is whats holding me back. talked to Bob and we thought ok mabey i am puttin the flame out, but thats not it. does it with the smarty by itself. tried to download a different smarty off of mads electronics, didnt fix it. i have no clue.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through the same issues you have and finally found the answer, after a bunch of testing. Use number 3.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

I know with the smarty on my truck on #9 if I floor it and back off just a tick then it pulls a lot harder and the boost goes up. On #3 I don't have that problem.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

yeah sw3 i dont have the problem. yeah think we have the same problem but you say a tick, i say almost 50% back off lol. it just feels that then i back it off and it really starts pullin that the truck has major power then. then i hear about people dynoing best with sw3 but if i was able to use all of sw9, i feels like it would be way better.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

I agree. I've tried dynoing #9 on the dyno and backing off some but it was way to finicky to try and get decent numbers. I think it's kinda the way that marco makes it so responsive is he compresses the pedal so to speak. Basically, 10% throttle with smarty is equivalent to say 30% without smarty. You just seem to have an extreme case.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

oh well guess its just the way it is, well atleast i still have sw3. thats a whole lot better than nothing.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

I know what you mean. #3 still has the same power and all as the catcher softwares, just not the responsiveness.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 PM

This is a known thing that Marco has discussed in detail, its a huge post on TDR about it, I tried to find it but no luck, I have been driving my truck like this since the Catcher came out, im so used it that I have a hard time driving it without the Catcher, it just makes day to day driving so nice, my foot now knows when to stop, im done around 3/4 pedal, it does however get worse with the TST cranked past 3, actually my TST wont go back in the truck, the Xzillaraider works a 1000% better with the Catcher, my truck is a freakn beast with that box

I found it

Sorry, I've been busy yesterday. Since I knew that this MSG would've need to be a longer one, I simply had no time to type it.

With the CaTCHER beyond a certain point of the throttle nothing more seems to happen ( under certain circumstances, I'll come back to that at a later point ).

Why is that? In short and to keep it simple, we've squenched out everything from the VP it can give. If we've reached the VP fuel output limit by let's say half throttle then increasing the throttle further gives...you guessed it, nothing.

Furthermore backing out from WOT a little produces a surge in power. Why is that?

That is the reaction of the high idle torque limiter( Or better known as rev limiter ). The truck does it even in stock form. It's more noticeable at top speed and full power but it IS there stock. The CaTCHER amplifies that surge in a certain sense making it more noticeable. ( Please notice I'm talking about WOT!!! N O T half throttle! )

With a stock file in my truck, if I lay down WOT ( and keep full throttle )the top RPM is around 2800. If I baby the throttle gently and back out a little and then increase again a little and so on, I can get up to 2900-3000 Rpm. That means speeds above 110 Mph. Have you ever tried it? You WILL notice it.

With the CaTCHER in my truck I can get the top speed up to 3300 Rpm, always playing gently with the throttle...That's over 120 Mph with my 33 inch tires.The rev limiter is the beast I've fought with for a long time, never been able to beat him...

So why do I tell you all that?
Simply to make you understand how to use the throttle with the CaTCHER. Gently and increasing the throttle accordingly to the speed or better RPM. the result is no dead spots like when you stomp on it and let her go.
Stomping the throttle with the CaTCHER is a no no.

Yet, BRI7070 sez:
"When I am accelerating, if I go to half throttle and back off slightly, about 1/8 travel, I get a surge of power that is about the same as WOT. If I move the loud pedal just a little I lose the surge."

HALF throttle???
Old 04-12-2007, 05:47 PM

IMO, the CaTCHER programs are really meant for stock or lightly modified trucks. I've been running SW#5 for almost a year now and find it to be a nice program with my DD3's and TSTCE on 3(or 4)...
Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

i guess i am just going to have to get use to only giving the go pedal 60 to 80% then. and i say half throttle becuase thats what it feels like to me. not really noing the distance i let up but it sure feels like a lot. mabey i can make a deal that will go behind my go pedel when i load number sw9 up that will only allow me to have that much throttle. i am just so use to puttin the hammer down i guess i just got to learn how to drive again.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:08 PM

You know whats funny is that people say that it wont do it with HRVP, we have a guy who has a II HRVP and he can go full throttle with no issues, its wiered that your having the same issues even though you have the Hotrod VP, either way I cant drive without my Catcher, as the days go bye you will get used to it what size sticks do you have? im running 6s and even with no box and just the Catcher its great.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

i do have a HRVP but took it off as i got so tired of that idle. it was driven me crazy. truck ran good but i just didtn like it. i will probably end up puttin it back on unless one of these new mega pumps come out. i think its a completly diferent story with the HRVP cause the pump adds a ton of timing. so i think the timing from the pump takes over when the smarty runs out of steam at 75% throttle. that makes me believe more that they programed the smarty to start takin timing away or something past a certain point. would make sense.

has anyone dynoed with just a smarty? how much of a difference is there between sw3 and sw9 in hp wise? if any.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 PM

I still would like to see dyno results with and without smart on a stock truck?

dan

Quick Reply: swap smartys