Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

superchip programmer vs. old d-box

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that is the only box you are going to use I would get my money back and get an EZ. I have the Superchips but it's stacked with the EZ where I get the benefit of the boost fooler. When I had just the tuner alone I had to get off the go pedal on any incline because of high EGTs. I called them about raising the limit in their program and they said it wouldn’t help. I see in your Signature you tow so I would get something like an EZ or other box that has a boost fooler to help keep your EGT under control.
Good Luck
Old 02-24-2004, 05:09 PM

I too run the superchip which gave me more power than stock but afterwards i put on the A.D.D. which is a boost fooler/anti defueler and comes with a boost elbow. it really works well with the chip and for the price difference between an EZ
and the A.D.D. i am very satisfied with the combo. I don't know anythging about the D box,did it have a built in boost fooler?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by fitzer
Billg: I do agree. I don't really like this programmer. I could R&R the old box in about 30 seconds, this one takes about 5 minutes to program.
I was also under the impression the programmer was the same specs as the d-box. Apparrantly not!!! Not only the less power, but as you mentioned, no boost fooler. Not a real big deal to me now, but I'm looking at injectors in the near future.

Now, if they refuse to refund me, how does the stacking work? Do you get basically all the power from both?(e.g.-70HP programmer + 70HP EZ= 140HP?)Or is it kinda reduced to 80, or 90, or whatever?
If you tow with it you will most likely see high EGTs. That is when I had problems. If you go to bigger injectors you will need a boost fooler. The Edge products have a boost fooler built in.
On stacking with the Superchips you have to be careful. You have to use the tuner first then add whatever box you plan to use. If and when you want to reprogram with the tuner you will need to unhook the box and then use the tuner. Because the tuner reprograms the trucks computer it will try to reprogram the box if it is still hooked up.
As far as the HP it will add about 32 hp at the wheel. Here is a link from someone who ran it on the dyno. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=superchips The HP gains don’t add up like you have in your post they are spread out over the throttle range. When stacking, some of the boxes overlap each other so the numbers will kind of blend and end up a little higher. I know a guy on another site who is going to try and dyno the tunner with a box like the EZ (Raptor) in the next couple of weeks, if you are interested I’ll forward the info. I’m looking to do the same before too long.
For the codes I’m using this (actually I’m still figuring it out. http://www.obd-2.com/
I’ve heard that Auto Zone and Advanced Auto will read and reset the codes for free.
Hope this helps.

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2004, 05:49 PM

fitzer, haisleymachine.com has the A.D.D. for $69 hope this helps