Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

SUPERCHIP

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUPERCHIP

Have any of yall used or heard and good, bad comments about this???

DODGE CUMMINS

98.5-2002

24 VALVE ONLY

MICRO TUNER

This is the latest version of the Superchips Micro Tuner. It now has three different power settings.

1. 40 Horsepower and 75 ft/lbs of torque

2. 50 Horsepower and 90 ft/lbs of torque

3. 70 Horsepower and 140 ft/lbs of torque

May be used as a diagnostic tool.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:15 PM

Re:SUPERCHIP

most of what ive heard is that it doesnt really produce anywhere near the results it claims too...the one thing it can do is act as a code reader too...they also "claim" it shouldnt be used w/ other box mods although some guys are using it w/ other mods...(they are probably just covering themselves i guess)
Old 10-02-2003, 02:53 PM

I have heard that horsepower gains are less than advertised but the code option is nice and it can calibrate your speedo for larger tires. Those are both good features.
-Jason
Old 10-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard good and bad about it.

Buddy loaned me his for a week, so I uploaded the maximum.
Didn't seem to do anything, seat of the pants wise.
I was able to slip my tranny at the drag track, but I think I would have done that without the tuner.
Truck sounded different, probably due to the timing change.
Exhaust smelled different, timing again I assume.

I already have my speedo corrected for my tires, but am wondering about the claim that it will adjust shift points on an auto, as my Superlift Truespeed didn't seem to affect that.

I'm sure the code reader portion is worthwile, but kinda pricey if you're only going to use it for that.

See if you can try before you buy, that would be the best advice I could give.

Saw reports on another site, mixed reviews as well.

phox
Old 10-02-2003, 09:26 PM
gs

I have it and have used it for about 5wks and am very pleased. I didnt think you could use it on more than one truck, atleast thats what the shop i purchased mine from told me. I gained 2mpg and allot of noticeable power. For $285 its worth it to me. Tranny does seem smoother
Old 10-02-2003, 09:32 PM

I didnt think you could use it on more than one truck, atleast thats what the shop i purchased mine from told me.
I know that's true with the chevy gasser programmers. Tried to use my buddy's a few years back, and it wouldn't download anything. I saw on a TV program somewhere that they said the same thing.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:22 PM
LE

I have the dieseltuner running on the highest HP setting, in conjunction with my Comp box. It seems to behave like a gasser program where the more you drive with it the more power it gives you. It sounds strange, but I have had it in and out of my truck a few times for others to demo. Every time I put it back in, it seems to take a few days to come back to full power. I think that is why they are not real popular when they first go in. But, if they were given a few days to acclimate the unit to the vehicle, I think opinions would change a bit. This theory holds true with the owners of the trucks we have programmed. I agree with Phox, give a try for a few days and then make a decision. I think the diagnostic capabilities along with the tuner is money well spent ($300). LE
Old 10-02-2003, 10:31 PM
LE

I am completely confused about that statement regarding other power hungry accessories. How does that correlate to a program in the ECM? LE
Old 10-02-2003, 11:19 PM

I have dynoed several of the turner's trying to find one that would give somewhere near the claimed horse power. But the best I saw was a 10 hp different. I heard that hypertech is going to come out with a dodge turner also. maybe it will work better
Old 10-03-2003, 08:57 AM

I tested it on my truck, did not like it with the comp, by itself it is weak compared to the EZ. I could not tell much seat of the pants diff from lowest to highest setting. I tried it on a 01 HO that is bone stock and the driver was pretty impressed, did not want to keep it though. I have since tried it on a few other trucks, it works ok. It is no EZ but it is better than nothing. Any programmer that I have ever sold is only capable of being used on one vehicle at a time.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=LE link=board=7;threadid=20459;start=0#msg192164 date=1065151910]
I am completely confused about that statement regarding other power hungry accessories. How does that correlate to a program in the ECM? LE
[/quote]

When you are loading the program, you have to have all battery draining accesories turned off.
Otherwise it errors.
I discovered this when I was trying to load it up, had to turn of radio, dome light, close the hood enough to turn off the hood light even.

That might be what he is referring to.

I even saw a report somewhere where they mentioned that.
Oh ya, it was on the Powerblock TV show, Trucks I think.
They used on on a chevy I think.

phox
Old 10-03-2003, 08:27 PM

I may get one of these. Im hearing mostly bad stuff about em though. Is there a cheaper way to ajust the speedo / shift points, have a diagnostic code reader, and possibly get a little better hp???
Old 10-03-2003, 11:41 PM
LE

Like I have said, a decent Speed / Performance shop will allow a potential customer to try a Tuner before they buy it. I am a big fan of the Tuner because of the way it works with the Comp, and the fact that it can adjust speedo while clearing error codes. I have sold a few of the Tuners. In fact everybody (except Phox) that I have let demo the tuner has ended up buying one. I am not trying to compare it to an EZ, as there is no comparison. But for what it is along with its' ability to run with a Comp makes the entire unit. I have also discovered that running the Tuner alone (with my Comp turned off) yields almost 2mpg over just the Comp. Pretty sweet for under $300....................................LE

Quick Reply: SUPERCHIP