Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Suggestions to Upgrade '02 Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions to Upgrade '02 Cummins?

Howdy Folks

I would like to do a bit of upgrading and am looking for some suggestions and expertise..

I have heard there are problems with the firewall mounted lift pump, is it worth installing a fuel pressure monitor? Suggestions as to after market lift pumps to replace or supplement the factory pump?

Also interested in suggestions for improving cold air induction, horsepower and exhaust systems for reducing backpressure.

Thanks for the help!!

YRG
Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Fill out you signature so we know what you've got. USERCP>EDIT SIGNITURE. I assume you've a got 98.5 -02 24V. Guages are the first thing you should do: fuel pressure first then EGT, then boost.

Get a fuel pressure guage first! I like mechanical gauges, you don't have to worry about an isolater failing. What happens is the lift pump fails and starves the injection pump (VP44) of fuel which kills it. VP's are $1000 plus install. With a guage you'll know if the LP is dying so you can replace it before it kills the VP. The stock lift pump is on the side of the engine. The heat and vibes kill it. There are a ton of LP fixes. You can use the stock pump and relocate it to the frame, get a FASS, or some other custom pump like a holley blue or a Walbro 392.

As far as the in take, you can install a BHAF (big honkin air filter), search bhaf for the part number, or get some aftermarket job, or cut holes in your stock air box. There are some good exhausts on ebay. There are a ton of HP boxes to choose from, edge, tst, smarty, or downloaders. A lot depends on your budget and what you ultimate HP goal is. I'd say just start reading the site. There's a lot of good people and tons of great info. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:46 PM

I'll second the fuel pressure gauge as first on the your "to buy" list. Followed by at least pyro. I am replacing my LP (lift pump) with a walbro as soon as I can find enough change in the couch . By getting the gauges (pyro) before any upgrades, you will know how the additions are affecting the engine.
By the way welcome to the board!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks folks... yes, it's the 98.5-2002 24V I would assume. I'm fairly new to diesels.

Gauge it is! Thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered

FRIST WELCOME ABOARD, and gauges are a must on these trucks. you can add about 80-100 hp to your truck fairly cheap, past that you are looking at upgrading clutch or tranny (if auto) and needing bigger turbo and that runs in to big bucks fast. SO deside what hp rating you want (or need), and do it once and do it right. for you won't be upgrading parts that you have already bought, and spending twice as much. WATCH out for the power bug when it bits it bits HARD
Old 09-27-2006, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel pressure gauge, pyrometer next.
Then a Smarty and mach 1.6 injectors.
It is now in need of trans or clutch work!!
It will get better mileage and pull so much better too.
As the fuel pressure goes bad, install a pusher pump which turns on with oil pressure.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:29 PM

I'd suggest an Edge EZ after the guages, I like mine...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:36 PM

fuel pressure guage

when you guys hook up your fuel pressure guage, do they make some kinda adapter that hooks on the fuel pump so you can use a manual guage, i'm haven a hard time finding a fitting to adapt for my fuel pressure guage?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:19 PM

I put a tapped banjo with a barbed fitting under the filter housing. From there it goes to a needle valve then to 3/16" OD copper tubing to the guage. It has compression fittings at each end and hasn't leaked a drop.

Make sure you tap in between the filter and pump, this way you see if the filter is getting clogged.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 PM

where in the yukon are ya from?ive worked in few spots up there.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 PM

Capital city, Whitehorse.. I'm sure you've been here

Parts are a bit tough to get here, everything has to be ordered.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll check into gauges, would like UP TO about another 100 HP - I don't do much hauling other than a horse trailer these days.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned

I have the same exact truck to a tee. If you only want 100 hp do a fuel system upgrade to get fuel psi upand to make your vp44 last as long as possible and go with the edge juice with attitude. Im very satisfied with mine and you get all your gauges and adj power.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:14 PM

Smarty all the way. best thing I have put on my truck, other than guages
Old 09-29-2006, 08:37 PM

guages are a must with weak lift pumps . i have run a ez for 80,000 it works great but everyone is right determine how much hp first and that will help guide you. which injectors , turbo , box etc but with any power mods beyond a ez you will need tranny upgrades . power is great but when it is put to the ground look out !
Old 09-30-2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rodram2002
Smarty all the way. best thing I have put on my truck, other than guages
Dyno proven at 349 too! What are those injectors rated at? An eth aka HO really respond well to the smarty injector combo

Quick Reply: Suggestions to Upgrade '02 Cummins?