Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Subwoofers

No I don’t carry to many passengers,but I'm singe so I don't need the back seast much, I’ll probably change to something else in the spring though cause i do miss the storage space .……

When you build a box for a woofer it has to be built to the proper volume or the sub will sound bad, most companies give recommended specs for proper sized boxes for their woofers…
so you have to buy a woofer(s) that will work in the space you have

Since there is about 2 cubic feet available behind the seats of reg cabs and under the seats of quad cabs you need to look for woofers that will work in that space …….

Here is a very good deal on a very nice woofer righ now (99 dollars for a 350 dollar sub)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=299-650

If you go to mbquart’s web page

http://www.mbquart.com/Mobile_detail.asp?model=PWD+254

and download the speaker applicatin guide

http://www.mbquart.com/press/MBQ_200...erAppGuide.pdf

on page 13 you’ll find the specs for the woofer and 2 recommended boxes 0.75 cubic feet sealed or 1.0 cubic feet ported with a 3”round x 9”long port. …..
so you’d easily be able to fit 2 of those under/behind your seat

here’s a page with some very good documentation on building a sub box under the seat of a quad cab, he also has instructions on building a 4” seat riser to get some more room under there

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jbenner/Subbox.htm

if building a box seems like too much, I’d go with the jlaudio stealth boxes, you can’t go wrong with JL audio products

you can also get a premaid q-logic box for a single 12 if you got a quad cab

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...p;I=044CDTX1++

add a 12 that works in the space and you’re set to go

mtx also makes premade boxes for under the back seat of a ram you can get it with or with out woofers installed, you can even get one with a built in amp

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/pro...res/DRXP20.cfm

JL audi also makes a prefab empty box, it fits one single 12 on the drivers side under the rear seat

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/va_ramext.html

and of course there’s the before mentioned stealtboxes

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/ramcentercushion.html

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/ramctr2.html

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/ramextendedcab.html

there a a lot of choices out there, go down to your local car audio shops and tell em what you want to do and see what they recommend……..

most importantly listen to lots of different stuff and pick what sounds good to you
have fun ………..

Old 11-09-2002, 08:51 AM

I too am into doing custom stereo's, in my car i have a JVC deck, pioneer two ways inside (4 total) and a dedicated 400w amp for my JL 12 w3. I have it inside a completely closed in box, hits harder in the car. For the dodge pick up, you can take out the storage bin and make a box to fit under that will hold two 12's. It is all in the design, i would port it on either side close to the center firing out to the center console. I would also taper it a little from back to front. Mount the amp under the drivers seat and put a protective cover, kind of like a kickplate, mounted there you can run the wires over and under the door sill around to the back of the box and up to under the dash. There is some other things that i would do also, like put a capacitor in, run a large fuse direct from the battery, put a cut off switch, get a new head unit with preamp out puts, prefferably two, something to consider also is that once you do all this, you might want to put an entertainment system in, overhead console tv scree etc..... LOL, there i go again, rambling on about what i want to do.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:52 AM

ultimately it boils down to taking measurements under the seat with the storage bin removed, making a template, seeing if the subwoofer will fit that depth, etc.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Banned

I'm to lazy to build my own box. Don't know much about it either. I think I may just go ahead with the MTX Thunderforms with two 10's under the back seat. Should be enough. As for the amp, I'll ask around bout that.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:43 AM

mtx 6500d would be a nice match to that thunderform box, most do 400 watts rms at 4 ohms according to their test sheets, even though they are rated for 250 watts at 4 ohms ....... most mtx amps are underrated ...<br><br>the 6500d also has speaker level inputs so it could be used with your factory head unit if you so desired<br><br>any amp that does around 500 watts rms at 4 ohms will do the job nicely.........<br><br>look for variable crossovers when choosing an amp, the offer better tuneability than an amp with 1 preset crossover frequency<br><br>
Old 11-09-2002, 12:28 PM
j

i have 2 12's under the rear seat in TWO homemade boxes. it was quite the pain in the rear to make the boxes. they are sealed boxes so the sound is great, but they need to be carpeted to make them look good and blend in with the carpet around them. i am getting rid of them (too much bass since i have a 6 month old) and if you're interested, let me know. send me an e-mail and i'll try to get some pictures. i'm gonna swap to 6x9's and put the cargo divider back under the seat. i'll make you a hell of a deal if you're interested.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Chapter President

Anyone use bandpass boxes? They would fit in a regular cab with bucket seats but a bandpass box would sound real good in a extended cab with the backseat taken out. They cost alot of $$$ though.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:49 AM

The problem I find with bandpass subs is the boomy non-musical sound they make at high SPL's. They are also very poor at following high transient bass lines. The advantages of course are they give a boost to SPL's in the bandpass region. Essentially, you get more bang for the buck.....provided you can live with it's disadvantages. Because this design is very good at hiding distorsion, you can be clipping or even bottoming out the voice coil, neither being good for the life expectancy of the transducer. Much of it is based on the music you listen to. Personally, I prefer a properly designed sealed box, driving it with plenty o'power. Extremely tight, uniform SPL bass across the spectrum results. Less desireable, but still acceptable would be a carefully designed ported enclosure.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:51 AM

First of all i know the MTX thunderforms suck, go to any car audio shop that knows what they are talking about and they will tell you that it does not have a complete seal and thus.....it sucks so dont buy that. I am also contemplating what setup i want, and after talking to the my guys at Roberts Audio in louisville i think i have decided on quite possibly the most expensive way to do it. I am taking my back seat to an uphulsterer (sp?) and getting it cut so i have two seats in the back. Roberts (which is quite possibly one of the best shops in the world...not a chain...i.e. ovation ) will then install a custom fiberglass box descending from my rear window to the floor, this will house my subs, 2 10&quot; solo baric L7, my amp, dvd player, and PS2. This setup is show worthy and will most definately make a person go deaf, 2 10&quot; square solo barics will hit harder than any system with 2 12's. And one other tip, anyone that says they have 2 different size subs in the same application (i.e.-10&quot; and 12&quot has no idea what they are talking about, the sound from a 12&quot; sub overtakes any sound that a smaller sub creates so you dont hear it.....any way just my $0.02
Old 11-11-2002, 10:53 AM

I'm told froma few audio shops and audio &quot;experts&quot; around here that the JL stealth enclosure that replaces center seat with a single 12&quot; speaker is the absolute best for sound in our trucks? I'm considering it as a new purchase to replace the 3 10&quot;s behind my seat.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:56 AM
Chapter President

I've seen some some pretty nice sounding bandpass systems. If everything is powered properly there isn't any problems from what I've seen in other types of vehicles.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:57 AM

JL generally makes VERY good stuff, but i am more apt to go with my shop and a guy who really knows his stuff and can use all the unused space in my truck....downside=$$$$
Old 11-11-2002, 10:58 AM

I agree with Commatoze an the bandpass issue, never liked it, but some people love it.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Chapter President

cfm3110,<br><br>How much will the solo-baric seup cost. I know it willl be alot but how about a ballpark figure.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:11 AM

ok here is part of my setup<br>2-12&quot; 2000 watts performance teknique subs <br>1-1800 watt legacy amp with a remote for the bass<br>built my own box has total of 4.5 cubic feet <br>its got 2 ports, the ports are 3 inch pvc pipes about 6 inches long, all sealed with liquid nail <br>price- subs $140 each<br> amp $120<br> box $10 dollars for the board, made two more boxes with the left overs, liquid nail $3, the ports were free, screws $2<br><br>total price = $415<br>total db= over 150db easy<br><br>i know people who have spent over $2000 on the amp and box alone, that dont even compare to my generic setup <br>you dont have to buy big name brands for big bass <br>if any one thinks my system is weak- they have no idea <br>my total system costed me a little over $600 <br>that my 6x9s, 6.5s, cd player, another 1000 watt amp, cross-over, and wires, fuses, switches. oh and my 4 more tweeters.<br><br>i want to upgrade my amp with a boss 3000watt mono block<br><br>i have 6 pairs of subs and about 10 boxes i've made, i have also made two boxes that sit under the back seat one for 2 8's and another one for one 10'' i use those for when i go hunting<br><br>thats what i got<br>oh and this setup kicks a$$ <br> <br>

Quick Reply: Subwoofers