Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stupid torque convertors anyways...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid torque convertors anyways... Some carnage

Well after purchasing my truck w/ the tranny out I was told it had a performance single disk TC.
Got it sent down to our local convertor shop had it split, the guy replaced the stator, the clutches, the hub.
They said the way the torque was built it is able to handle about 200-/+ hp/tq or somthing, I forget the #s off hand.

Well.. after the first test drive seemed to be going smoothe, after noticing we didn't have lockup so went back to the shop connected the missed wire.
took it for another spin, hit lockup started shuddering and we lost everything..

Well here is the aftermath

As you can tell from the TC picture it was pretty messed up.
The convertor shop/tranny shop tried blaming it on the flywheel and didn't wanna warrenty it, pay in/out fees, or replace the shaft.. so I took the flywheel down Monday, along with the TC. The supervisor looked at the flywheel handed it back said it was O.K, then they continued to cut the torque.
They could not find the pump stator at all inside the TC and I know its not @ my shop... well the stator was broken into 4 pieces, and everything else was mangled....

Just wanted to share this ;P

I think I'm going w/ a single DTT convertor.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

WOW nice carnage!! Don't you just love people like that they start blaming everything else but themselves?? LOL

~Nick
Old 01-10-2007, 09:11 PM

Flywheel? Theres your problem right there. You need to have a flex plate hooked from the crank to the TC.

The shuddering broke your input shaft. It shattered and took your TC and front pump. Seems to me that you broke all those goodies yourself.

You had a classic break, thats what happens to most when they lose them.

Here is another type of break. This would be considered the good kind.

If you use a lockup device you should have a billet input.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by justinp20012500
Flywheel? Theres your problem right there. You need to have a flex plate hooked from the crank to the TC.

The shuddering broke your input shaft. It shattered and took your TC and front pump. Seems to me that you broke all those goodies yourself.

You had a classic break, thats what happens to most when they lose them.

Here is another type of break. This would be considered the good kind.

If you use a lockup device you should have a billet input.

Yea I had a brain fart there.. flex plate..

anyways, nice pic too :P

And the problem occured in the TC, not in the shuddering.
As I stated the flexplate is fine.
The stator in this TC is made of the cast-alluminum, not of steel, like the DTT ones. But I do know the problem started in the TC because the first couple runs w/o lockup and o/d it ran perfect.. once it hit od and into lockup the TC shudderd and then it broke some things..
Old 01-11-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm agreeing with Justin. Looks to me that the input shaft failed.

With the converter unlocked the energy is absorb in the fluid. Once locked up all that torque is transfered directly to the input shaft.