Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Streetable

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Streetable

This is my third post on the subject, but I'm still confused so bear with me =P
I don't want to buy parts twice so I want it done right the first time =)
I just want my truck to be sporty. No need to tow. Just want a reliable daily driver capable of smoking a few hemi's and ricers . I'm thinking about my planned setup and wondering if this will be too much power for year round driving.

I'd like in-cab adjustablility and some timing control, so mad is out and I'm thinking DDUFM. I don't want to have to learn to drive so that the truck doesn't smoke which is another reason mad is out.

Current plan:
RASP fuel system
Mach 4
B-1
SBC to be determined

I'm planning on doing the box/ guages then taking it to Poole's in the spring for the big stuff I should have an exhaust on her by then too

While I was planning on a 400hp truck, this is looking more like a 500hp. Any imput would be appreciated even if you're telling me I'm an idiot who'll be driving his truck sideways down the street all winter =\
Old 09-15-2005, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the looks of what you plan on adding IMO your going to be in the 425 range. Your only going to get 90-100 RWHP from a box, and 150 from the injectors. You alos should be planning for a clutch cause once you add just the box and get after it a few times the stock clutch will be toast. IMO a full b1 might be a little to much turbo. If your set on a b1 I'd recomend a ksb1. As for driving in the winter you'll have to learn to be easy on the throttle in the snow and on the ice. It take a while to get used to but you'll learn.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full B-1 is too much....strictly a top end (WOT)turbo.
You will have lots of smoke from a dead stop and you will be carrying basically no boost at hwy cruise..under 70 mph....so lots of smoke till it spools up.

At 450+ hp, all single turbos are a compromise between good spoolup & strong top end!

With box and Mach 4's...I would talk to Olie about a B1-2. Better street manors and plenty of air for your fueling. EGT's will get hot if you stay in full throttle (probable limited to 10-12 sec), but your be well over 100 mph by then.

If it were me, I'd look at a HTB2 - 14 cm2 from HTT, but I got the impression, Olie does not care for those.

With the box on full power, you'll be getting 50+ psi boost...so may want one with a wastegate (if available)....or add an external WG, to protect head gasket....and against over-reving the turbo!

JMO

RJ
Old 09-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Muted User

In my opinion, you are crazy for discounting the MAD. You said you want a peppy, snappy, sporty truck... MAD is the way. I would recomend, 90HP or 120 HP EDM's, the MAD and a fuel-only wire tap box, plus a set of street twins. I do not care for the larger singles, for the exact reasons RJ explains. You want snap and pep, then go mid range on sticks, MAD, and twins.

Other than twins, if you want bottom end snap, then you should stay with the stock turbo, just go with the 90 to 120 HP range sticks and the MAD...understanding of course the top end limitations..... Thats why compound turbos are so beautiful... snap AND top end....

KP
Old 09-15-2005, 02:19 PM

I've got a little different opinion than rjohnson.

I'm running a HO truck, Mach 4's, catcher ECM, comp TST, SB FE clutch, and an old school HX40 (never ran a full B1, from what I've been told about the same spool-up). To top it off, I live at 5500 ft.

Winter driving is a piece of cake - just pop into 4x if it gets slippery! Very little smoke and FAST spoolup. Summer time is a bit more challenging with the hotter air. With a trained right foot, 2nd gear take offs and keeping up with traffic is virtually smokeless. If you don't mind 1st gear take offs, you almost gotta work at making smoke.

Everybody's opinion is different when it comes to too much smoke or how much you gotta baby the throttle to keep the smoke down. Heck, we've got several guys in the area running Mach 6's in their daily drivers with big single chargers - and to them smoke is manageable.

Oh, and for your application, I highly recommend the SB FE clutch. I wouldn't recommend the double disks unless your going to be getting into drag racing or sled pulling.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Banned

Mach4s, Comp, and B1-2. Hard to beat that setup. Great spool(near stock), cool EGTs(1400 max), and 514hp on mine when I had that setup.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:52 PM

Turbo talk: the headgasket *usually* holds 50lbs before they start blowing from what I've read, so my goal is 40lbs with good spool-up. I want mach 4's just because they produce a lot of clean power, but that means a big ol turbo that'll cool it. Sure I'd love to do twins- but the $$ =/

Catcher: Marco himself doesn't recommend mad for winter driving, which is why I'm leaning towards a Comp or DDUFM- for in cab adjustability. If its not as fast and I can adjust it in the cab then that's a winner. Besides Mad ECM is for small/med injectors and a stock turbo
Old 09-15-2005, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 95ram
By the looks of what you plan on adding IMO your going to be in the 425 range. Your only going to get 90-100 RWHP from a box, and 150 from the injectors.
Am I too optimistic 245 + 150 injectors + 100 box + new turbo = Big grins

The number's aren't as important to me as just having a well balanced setup with clean power Don't get me wrong- nuthin wrong with some smoke, but I'm a hop skip and jump from northern Va and don't want tickets =/
Old 09-15-2005, 05:42 PM

The MAD ECM is without a doubt the "funest" mod I've done to my truck. Us manual guys loose so much boost between shifts (driving normally or hot rod’in), every time you shift you get your lag back. With an OEM ECM and a 6sp, the first 3 gears are useless! Supposedly the manual trucks have no defuel, however after installing the catcher it seriously felt like I installed an anti-defueler, it revs that much quicker through the gears.

The catcher eliminated SO many of my complaints with the 6 speed - it truly does light the turbo off quicker (this does not necessarily mean smoke) and it quickly revs through the bottom gears (making them useful and fun). I drove most of last winter commuting 60 miles a day into Denver CO with Mach 4's and the Catcher with a sticky clutch, both a double disk and an FE - not a big deal at all as long as you have a 4x! Don't overlook this mod! If you're worried about smoke, I'd do smaller injectors and a catcher.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Will Manchester
I've got a little different opinion than rjohnson.

I'm running a HO truck, Mach 4's, catcher ECM, comp TST, SB FE clutch, and an old school HX40 (never ran a full B1, from what I've been told about the same spool-up). To top it off, I live at 5500 ft.

Winter driving is a piece of cake - just pop into 4x if it gets slippery! Very little smoke and FAST spoolup. Summer time is a bit more challenging with the hotter air. With a trained right foot, 2nd gear take offs and keeping up with traffic is virtually smokeless. If you don't mind 1st gear take offs, you almost gotta work at making smoke.
Sounds like a winner I've got time to decide- three months or so before I start making some calls =P
Old 09-15-2005, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not rag'n on ya, but where are you getting 305 from. My pickup with BHAF and dual 4" exhaust only dynoed 232 RWHP and we have the same engine. Heck I may have misjudge your first HP numbers maybe you will be close to 500.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:31 PM

Not to say this is the way you should go, but I second everything Will Manchester said about the improvements a Catcher makes to a 6 speed. I would even say the first 4 gears were useless for fun before the Catcher. There was no boost built before I would lay into 5th gear.

But again, its still up to you and a Comp has rarely ever disappointed either.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by 95ram
Not rag'n on ya, but where are you getting 305 from. My pickup with BHAF and dual 4" exhaust only dynoed 232 RWHP and we have the same engine. Heck I may have misjudge your first HP numbers maybe you will be close to 500.
You're right. I was throwing numbers out and I threw out the wrong one. I edited the original post for accuracy. 245 on the ETH and less than that at the wheels, right?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the responses all.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Will Manchester
The MAD ECM is without a doubt the "funest" mod I've done to my truck. Us manual guys loose so much boost between shifts (driving normally or hot rod’in), every time you shift you get your lag back. With an OEM ECM and a 6sp, the first 3 gears are useless! Supposedly the manual trucks have no defuel, however after installing the catcher it seriously felt like I installed an anti-defueler, it revs that much quicker through the gears.

The catcher eliminated SO many of my complaints with the 6 speed - it truly does light the turbo off quicker (this does not necessarily mean smoke) and it quickly revs through the bottom gears (making them useful and fun). I drove most of last winter commuting 60 miles a day into Denver CO with Mach 4's and the Catcher with a sticky clutch, both a double disk and an FE - not a big deal at all as long as you have a 4x! Don't overlook this mod! If you're worried about smoke, I'd do smaller injectors and a catcher.
I agree about the first 3 gears being worthless so read with some interest your post. How exactly does it behave differently? You say it spools better but does this mean it smokes more? You live in Denver? I want to go for a ride

Quick Reply: Streetable