Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Strange Vibration. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Vibration. Need Help!

The last few weeks i've been experiencing a strange vibration when i get up to about 70 MPH on the freeway. It comes from what feels like right below my feet, as it vibrates the floor some. It will go away when i take my foot of the throttle. and starts again when i put my foot back into it.

At first i thought i had tire out of balance and have got the rebalanced to make sure. Didn't change anything. Thought it was the transmission since i have been having the torque converter slipping. So i went ahead and put in a Suncoast triple disk and valve body and billet input shaft. Still didn't change anything. Have checked the front end for anything lose... track bar, upper adn lower links, ball joints, wheel hubs. Everything feels snug. There are 61,000 miles on the truck, and its been a pretty easy 61,000 mostly all freeway driving. putting it in four wheel drive doesn't seem to change it my much. Also double checked all exhaust tubing to make sure nothing was rubbing adn that all looked good.

Also my injection system seems louder since this has started happening. Both at idle and driving. Not sure if that has anything to do with it....

Any feedback much appreciated. This has been knawing at me for a couple weeks now and i can't figure it out.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem, I thought EVERYTHING was tight and snug. Finally had enough and bought 4 new shocks, well whadya know, NO MORE VIBRATION! Every shock was leaking fliud, but you couldn't see it with the shock colapsed alittle by the weight of the truck. The other thing is the angle of the front end put's a bind on the front drive shaft and will give you a bit of a vib. I found a place that will make a custom front shaft, I will be ordering one just as soon as I put my lift on. Try a new set of shocks, I just put the cheap ones on for now. Monroe Gas Matic Golds. About $180.00 for all 4, my cost.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Muted User

Ya they are the original shocks, and i replaced the steering stabalizer because it was leaking. I have the 2 in metal spacers in the front. but i just got it alligned recently so its not the 'toe in' problem. I think i might try taking the front drive shaft off and see what happens. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator

I have a 70 mph vibe as well.

I removed my front drive shaft and it went away.

I have a 2002 without the CAD in front, so my DS is spinning all the time though.

Could your CAD be malfunctioning allowing the front DS to spin when not in 4x4?

Just a leveling kit shouldn't be putting the shaft at an awkward angle, as my 4.5" does.

If it does go away after removing the front DS, maybe you threw a balance weight.

Oh, and you shouldn't be going 70mph on the freeway with 4x4 engaged anyway.

phox
Old 02-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Muted User

hey thats why it says 4 HI right... for HIghway speeds... ha ha ya its probably not to healthy but as frustraded as i am with it i thought i'd give it a try. Not sure what you mean by CAD, I have an 01.5 so do you know when they made the change? I used to have a 3/4 chev with a 6in suspension lift and if you went more than about 35MPH in 4hi you woudl get a vibration that sort of feels like this. I guess the next step is to yang the driveshaft and see what happens. thanks phox....

you need to start saving those pennies for the tranny upgrade.. i just did mine last night and man does it feel solid. Otherwise you'll be seeing nothing but taillights like both of us did at that "weekend on the edge"
Old 02-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Administrator

CAD= Central Axle Disconnect.

The vacuum operated sleeve in the front that locks the 2 halfs together when you shift into 4x4.

They did away with it sometime during the 2002 production year.

I guess that makes mine a 2002.5 then.

Planning on doing the tranny with next years tax refund.
Already have this years spent .

phox
Old 02-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Muted User

Ya i have the sleeve in the front. I never knew dodge went away with that. How is it set up on your truck then?