Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Straight pipes vs. custom muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 06:33 AM
TRH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight pipes vs. custom muffler

Got a ??????? concerning exhaust systems. If one spends most of the time pulling a 12,000# trailor, would you be better off using straight pipes or one of the custom muffler setups. I guess what I'm asking is really concerning "how much back pressure is needed or is any at all needed"?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:39 AM

Re:Straight pipes vs. custom muffler

Well, diesels don't need any exhaust back-pressure. Straight pipe is probably the way to go although you may want to go to a larger diameter straight pipe to get the most out of your truck....
Old 12-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

It will come down to a question of how much noise are you willing to tolerate?
(Santa is bring a 4" muffled exhaust for the Beast) ;D
Backpressure on a diesel is to be avoided.
On a gasser, it give more out of the hole torque, on a diesel it just strangles the engine.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Ed said, it's all a question of how much noise you want to tolerate. I love my stacks and all that but I have to admit, they can get annoying on a long trip. I was thinking of taking the original resonator and making up like a spool piece to put in for long trips to knock the noise level down to a rumble. My sons truck has one of the little shorty mufflers on it and it just has a good tone to it, not to offensive but enough to make a good bark.
In this case, less is better when it comes to back pressure. THat turbo has to have a little pressure on the outlet as possible for better boost and lower EGT's.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:55 AM

pretty fair deal on exhaust.

http://www.protintnw.com/sa_dodge-exh.htm
Old 12-17-2003, 07:15 AM

I have a Walker truck muffler on mine and it sounds almost identical to a straight pipe at idle. Mine is muffled just enough to make it tolerable for long drives as well as provide the necessary music under load - she snorts and bellows with the gooseneck attached ;D I also have a 4" system so that may help with the sound, too.

I will say this - DD4X4's truck will give you wood and a ;D to listen to it take off. Them stacks sound goooood.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:55 PM

My 2 cents,is if your not over 300 to 350 hp, straight pipe will work well,and when it rust's out then go to up in size.If you do go straight and take the cat and muff off and have a drone, I have had goodluck with wrapping moroso header wrap from the turbo back to behind the cab and it went away on mine.Goodluck Rick
Old 12-18-2003, 10:13 AM

Straight pipe. You'll be happy.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:26 AM

i had a 4" straight pipe on mine till the cops told me i "HAD to put on a muffler" :'( so i put on a 4" dynomax race magnum and it actually made it louder in the cab compared to the straight pipe (more of a drone) it doesnt bother me but thats just my 2c (lets put it this way the muffler doesnt do much good with a pipe through the middle of it, but it looks like theres a muffler there) : 8) there is about a 2 inch gap in the pipe in the middle of the muffler, so it does a little good
Old 12-18-2003, 10:53 AM

I removed my muffler and it was O.K. The only problem that I ran into was the dreaded DRONE at about 1900 rpm. I looked in a J.C.Whitney catalogue and found a 15" glass pack muffler and installed it. NO MORE DRONE!!! ;D ;D Plus when I am pulling a trailer with the back window open it still sounds a lot like a staight pipe. Now for the best part: I don't know why, my egt's run about 50* to 75* COOLER. RCW told me that I must have just by chance made the exhaust the "theoretical length" that makes it flow better. I also have a problem with a guy next to our shop (noise, long story) at work and with a muffler on there is nothing that he can do about the "noise".
Tom
Old 12-18-2003, 06:53 PM

Straight pipe that puppy, if the drone of the exhaust bothers you, do what I did, steal the 400 watt amp out of my wifes car ;D ;D ;D, My Christmas present is HER new 2004 Toyota Solara, now I just have to find someone smart enough to wire it up
Old 12-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Chapter President

I straight piped my exhaust last month....all I did was get 2 exhaust reducers 3" X 4' then I removed everything between my header pipe and tailpipe (kept it intact so its reusable) and put in a piece of 4" pipe....but now I cant hear my turbo spool up any more ;D