Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Straight Piped Colorado Diesel Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apwatson50
You could always get farm plates like me and then you don't need emissions no matter where you live.
I don't have a farm, but how much are the tags and how do I go about doing that? Any affect on the insurance? What's the difference in when you can drive it on highway and all that vs. when you have to have it on the farm???
Old 04-10-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
I don't have a farm, but how much are the tags and how do I go about doing that? Any affect on the insurance? What's the difference in when you can drive it on highway and all that vs. when you have to have it on the farm???

Just tell them your going to use it for "farm work" My tags are about $30 yearly, if anyone questions you just tell them your going or coming from the "market" I or my dad have never been questioned. There is something that says you can't drive it more than 100 miles from the "farm" more than a couple times a year or some BS. But how do they know? They don't, farmers are allowed to take vacations too right? No difference in insurance, the insurance company doesn't know what tags you have.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:05 PM

Its up to the person inspecting if they want to be a jerk with the no muffler deal or not.

Most inspection people dont care, as long as the cats there if it came with one, no check light on dash, and acceptable levels you pass.

Ive done a gasser turbo minivan here in az with just a cat, no muffler. They questioned it and i said its on order. they still passed it, didnt care.

My truck i just did a couple months ago.. straight piped.. after looking under it they asked where the cat was.. said it only came with a resonator and no cat, they walk over to their computer, came back and said floor it we want to kill your vp-44 and make you pay $1600 for a new one and call this an emissions test. Well not really, but the vp44 died very shortly therafter, less than 100 miles.

Im not a huge fan at holding full throttle for 15 seconds several times.

But all in all, really depends on the person doin the inspection and their attitude. It is illegal to remove the muffler, technically. But do they care?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Chapter President

Well SHE PASSED! But, I don't know what the dyno numbers are (they didn't show or tell me!) But I need some new tranny stuff first. Not a word about the straight pipe, but let me tell you. I was sitting next to the wall (paper thin) and when they got on it, man it was loud!

Thanks for all the encouragement,
Matt
Old 04-12-2006, 01:59 PM

My brother=in-laws 01 is straight piped and he doesn't have any problems with the testing in C Springs.