Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Straight Pipe vs Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight Pipe vs Muffler?

In your opinion what is better?

I am planning on picking up a 99-02 Cummins soon.

A coworker has a 98 24 valve with the stock exhaust with the resonator and muffler removed. Sounds ok, but doesn't sound great IMO.

My neighbor has an 03 that is straight piped and sounds sweet, but I think its 4" turbo back.

Is their any advantage to running a muffler, like a Magnaflow, MBRP, Flowmaster, DPP, etc?

I want to do a split rear dual setup. I know their is no advantage to duals, but I like the look. Local shop said they would do it. Plus, then you can smoke people out on both sides

I don't care about noise. The louder the better. But I want it to sound good. Kind of the 18 wheeler sound.

I do care about performance. Is there any kind of performance gain by running a muffler?

And I don't care for stacks. Just not my style.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2004, 09:49 PM

Straight piped is the loudest. You will want to completely remove the existing system on the vehicle and go 4" from turbo to tail.

As far as performance, I really haven't seen any claims that adding any type muffler helps. Just changes the sound of things.

Also, get rid of the silencer ring and go with an aftermarket air filter (search the site for info on that). The turbo wants to sing to you also, so let it!

Matt
Old 03-07-2004, 10:05 PM

I straight piped my 99 24v for about a day ,,,,,found it was loud but sounded bad

I think a dynomax race bullet would kill the nasty sounds ..........

I put on a dynomax ultra flo ......too quiet IMO ................go for the bullet

no performance diff muff or not IMO
Old 03-07-2004, 10:09 PM

As far as exhaust goes, the bigger diameter the pipe the "deeper" the sound will be. I'm running a 5 inch system on mine, and it sounds similiar to a big rig. I origionally ran it straight piped, but I wasn't getting as much boost as stock off the line. I put the 5 inch muffler on, and got boost back, probably from the small ammount of restriction from the muffler. It's still pretty darn loud with the muffler. You really don't need a 5 inch system untill you're making alot of power, I think like 450-500 hp? But my egt's are way down from stock, and I like the sound. If you run duals, you're not going to get that sound unless you run 4 inch or 5 inch duals. I've only seen 4 inch duals once, and the price has got to be pretty high. I've never seen 5 inch duals, I don't think you could get all that pipe to work around all the parts back there.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:12 PM

Thanks guys

By the way gsdog, your truck looks sweet. Very nice.

I definitely want 4" turbo back.

As for the boost comment, my buddy has an 01 D-Max that he tried straight piping and he lost a little boost.

But, I figured it was probably different for a Cummins.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:15 PM

dodgeram: you're right about the dynomax race bullet. I had one on my truck before the 5 inch system. I'd say it's right in the middle between stock and straight-piped. I liked it, but got a good deal on the 5 inch system. I don't think the bullet gained me any power, but it sounded better, and probably dropped egt's, but I didn't have a gauge then so I can't say for sure. Now the 5'er I could feel the difference, and dropped about 150 degrees at WOT, unloaded.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:16 PM

I really like the sound of this

Janetty Exhaust System

Does straight pipe with 4" pipe give you a similar sound?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:20 PM

Glenn, yeah it's different for the cummins. I know a few guys with straight 4 inchers, and they didn't loose any boost. I'm still a little low at the bottom with the 5 inch, but it makes up for it on the top end. I'm seriously thinking about fabbing the stock 3 inch downpipe to the rest of the 5 inch system and see if I get any boost back, or loose any at the top. Maybe if I get some time.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:31 AM

Thanks GlennRMK!

Matt
Old 03-08-2004, 06:43 AM

I posted this on another thread, but I'm reposting it here so more eyes will see it...

My truck is all stock, but I think I'm going to install a fuel plate soon. My tailpipe is shot on my exhaust system and I have a new 3" OD tailpipe sitting in my garage that I had bought last year for my for my CTD. I'd really like to free up my exhaust for more power and lower EGT's. A 4" exhaust kit is really tempting at $300, but I think it would be louder than I'd like. I'm tempted to cut out my cat (115,000 mi on it) and replace it with a 3 1/2" bullet style muffler, go out of it with 3 1/2" pipe into a 3 1/2" performance style chambered muffler and out into the 3" tail pipe. Do you guys think I'll gain much over the stock system, or will I be wasting the $150 I'll spend on the mufflers and pipe? I wish the tailpipe I have was a little larger (say 3 1/2") as I think this 3" pipe will become the bottleneck. If I spend the money for a 4" tailpipe and then add the cost to the 3 1/2" mufflers and pipe I had planned, then I could pay for the 4" kit. Although like I said, I think a full 4" kit will likely be a too loud for me.

What is needed for good performance yet maintain a reasonably quite system?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:00 AM

Loud = power ......not always though

I've heard Banks exhaust systems aren't too loud, but never heard one in person.

A lot of systems with mufflers that I've heard, aren't very loud until you really get on it.

I would do 4" for the performance, if I were you.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Wet 1 - I think you'd do best to get a 4" system with a muffler. A 4" with a muffler is not much louder than stock.

Glenn- I love my straight pipe! I haven't heard a dual setup out the back, but I've heard 5" stacks, it makes an awesome roar when you're on it hard.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Since I haven't heard anthing bad, except noise, I think I will go the straight pipe route.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:06 PM

I took a good look at the exhuast system last night...looks like 3" from the turbo down to resonator then 4" to muffler and back to 3" to tail... weird, but i'll be gone soon enough. Question is this, where can i find just the flange (i guess that's what it is call) to mate to the back of the stock turbo with a 4" output? Or am i sorta stuck with the 3" down then use an adapter to get to 4", I'm going to do my own bending and stuff for all of the plumbing, concerned the 3" to 4" adapater will intruduce turbulance in the pipe.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:40 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if anything, the short 3" run coming of the turbo will be of benefit to you. W/O this restrictiong I think you'd lose some on the bottom end, and benefit little if any on the top end... unless you're making some very serious power. Don't worry about the first few inches coming off the turbo, as long as you have no restrictions down stream.