Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

straight pipe drone

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
straight pipe drone

Ok, I did it! Hacked off my muffler/resonator/cat wow sounds good! But it has a terrible drone in the cab. What can I do to cut down on the drone in the cab. Would a 4 inch turbo back system (straight) have the same drone or would it make it deeper like the one on my Wife's powerjoke? I'm not complaining I really like the sound. But on a long trip at 80 my 2 boys might get cranky (2yrs and 4yrs old). Any idea's?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:05 PM

i did the exact same thing as you. it was really loud and i didn't see if you had injectors or anything but everytime i got on it black smoke all over the tailgate. but i just straight piped it and it sounds like the day i bought it. if you're back by the pipe it's loud but nice in the cab.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:10 PM

4" would be worse.....but the RPM that the Drone would come it would change due to the pipe size. I would say just speed up or slow down untill the drone goes away...usally its a real small window it happens.

I would just get a magnaflow muffler and call it good if it gets too bad. I just installed a 31" on a 3rd gen 600 (No cat....and you know how loud thoes trucks are!!!) And it was PERFECT balance of sound and quite....IMO. Just remember if you do install a muffler....baffles twards the fnt will make more drone, twards the back, less drone. (really only about a 1/2 a db...but its a differance) ALSO stright through mufflers make NO differance (None worth noteing) in flow than stright....its just for sound control.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:35 PM

I used to have a straight pipe on my stock exhaust, and it did drone some. Then I put a straight 5 in system and it drones a good bit more. You get used to it on the highway. It seems to be at 2000-2200 rpms. I actually like the drone sound!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:37 PM

u just cut it off and now the pipe ends at under ur box right? u never added more piping right? thats why it drones like crazy
Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by jlarmour
Ok, I did it! Hacked off my muffler/resonator/cat wow sounds good! But it has a terrible drone in the cab. What can I do to cut down on the drone in the cab. Would a 4 inch turbo back system (straight) have the same drone or would it make it deeper like the one on my Wife's powerjoke? I'm not complaining I really like the sound. But on a long trip at 80 my 2 boys might get cranky (2yrs and 4yrs old). Any idea's?
You can rid the drone with some 1 1/2 angle iron about 24in long and clamp it towards the front of the exhaust system and slide it to the rear in increments and you will find the drone and elimnate it, or you can put a free flowing muffler and put it as close to the front as possible and it will go away, the drone gets worse when towing, Goodluck,,Rick
Old 12-05-2005, 10:10 PM

I guess I should be more specific. I replaced the muffler and such with a piece of straight pipe. Still exits in the stock location. I'm confused about the direction of fins on magnaflow. I put that muffler on my psd, and always wondered if I put it the wrong way(fins to the back) it took out the sound of the turbo, but still was loud. I don't want to lose the sound of the turbo out the tail pipe on the dodge (thats why I went straight) so that was why I wondered if a larger pipe would make tone different so drone wasn't so bad. How loud is 4" compared to 3" or even 5" compaired to 3"? I've seen lots of opinions about the sound of the priviouse sizes but couldn't find a direct comparison. I hate to spend $300 or more and not like the way it sounds.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by kandgo
You can rid the drone with some 1 1/2 angle iron about 24in long and clamp it towards the front of the exhaust system and slide it to the rear in increments and you will find the drone and elimnate it, or you can put a free flowing muffler and put it as close to the front as possible and it will go away, the drone gets worse when towing, Goodluck,,Rick
So it's the harmonics of the 3" pipe itself. Just like 12th fret on a ?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:41 PM

Magnaflow doesnt have fins...they just holes.......so you cant put it in backwards...unless you get the OD or ID side wrong.......haha.....in other words....doesnt matter with a magnaflow......on MBRP....Yes.....HOG....yes....IMCO....Yes.....blah blah......
Old 12-07-2005, 12:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i just did the muff delete from geno's and it sounds awesome but this may just be coincidence or would that cause my temp guage to read higher?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by yfz450guy
i just did the muff delete from geno's and it sounds awesome but this may just be coincidence or would that cause my temp guage to read higher?

I remember mine did the same thing. I did a radiator flush and replaced the t-stat, and everything went back to normal.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 AM

I did the straight pipe as well on my stock 3" pipe.

Drone What Drone??? I hear a little bit of exhuast noise but really light. I can play my stereo on about 30-33% volume and bury the exhaust noise at 65-70 MPH

THe only time I can really hear a drone... Mash the GO! pedal in a tunnel on town of Riggins ID... It echoes off the canyon walls... I can be heard for over a mile!

Straight piped and never looking back!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
now today it was fine as far as the temp is concerned, must has been a fluke. love the sound out the pipe and am really thinking about the 4 straight!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
put the resonator back on it will kill the drone...hum wonder why mine dont drone?????
Old 12-09-2005, 12:27 PM

4" drone

I have a 4" turbo back with a mufler and at 80 mph 12 hours straight I'm about ready to go crazy I've been thinking of putting on another mufler in front of the one already on it.Curius about the fins though I would like to here more about that.
Merry Christmass all !!!!!

Quick Reply: straight pipe drone