Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Straight Pipe Drone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Straight Pipe Drone!!!

This 2ft straight pipe dumping right at the t-case is getting old quick. Can't stand to drive more than 10 miles on the highway. Where can a guy order 4" flex for the exhaust?

Does the flex pipe leak much? I tried some aluminum appliance stack vent flex and it blew open first romp on the throttle.

How well does the flex hold up long term? I could go through the hassle of fitting this pipe up and welding it solid but a 2' piece of flex will fit perfectly from the 3rd gen down pipe to my existing mbrp 4" system. Are 4" guillotine clamps big enough for flex or do I need 4.5"?

You guys with stacks, how well is the flex holding up?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any heavy truck parts shop sells it
Old 03-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
This 2ft straight pipe dumping right at the t-case is getting old quick. Can't stand to drive more than 10 miles on the highway. Where can a guy order 4" flex for the exhaust?

Does the flex pipe leak much? I tried some aluminum appliance stack vent flex and it blew open first romp on the throttle.

How well does the flex hold up long term? I could go through the hassle of fitting this pipe up and welding it solid but a 2' piece of flex will fit perfectly from the 3rd gen down pipe to my existing mbrp 4" system. Are 4" guillotine clamps big enough for flex or do I need 4.5"?

You guys with stacks, how well is the flex holding up?
Stainless steel flex will hold up well, however over time it will get stiff and crack. For flex tubing you want to use band clamps or weld the connections.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:11 PM

My local napa has it in stock.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:20 PM

Check out your local truck stores like Peterbuilt they usually have tons of that kind of stufff in the parts department.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Any truck shop should have it.
I found this place awhile back, they've got everything. http://store.airflo.com/exhaust-tubing.html
Old 03-08-2008, 07:27 PM

I had 5" flex to go over the axle when i was running the exhaust out the back and it always did good and never leaked and make sure you use band clamps to seal the connection better. I like the clamps with the stepped part in it since you will be putting the flex over the pipe they just seem to seal better to me.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Do you really think the "straight pipe drone" is going to get any better by placing a stack next to your head without fixing the cause of the drone first?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a full 4" MBRP with muffler that exits behind the rear wheel. I recently upgraded my turbo and the 3rd gen down pipe does not turn down far enough to clear the cab and make a smooth transition into the old system.

Truck was quiet like usual when I had aluminum flex on there for 10 minutes. I guess I'm going to have to call around to the big truck shops up in salt lake, otherwise Airflow online it is.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is one of my delemas, we are gonna run 4" turbo back all pipe with 2, 4" stacks in the bed i am hoping with the ext cab it won't drive me nuts but i am figurin i will probly need to add a muffler later
Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 PM

how loud stacks are depends on how many bends you have in the exhaust. and how high above the cab they are. if they are almost level like my single 6" stack thats offeset is straight piped with only 1 bend in the exhaust besides the downpipe its pretty loud. and with all the windows open in my reg cab you cant talk to the passenger but with the windows up its not too bad but the straight pipe drone gets much worse when the the lowest point of where the exhaust exits isn't above the cab like mine

see how its barley above the cab at all.

this is how i first had it nice and deep much higher above the cab but the exhaust wasn't sealed all the way. so i pushed it all down and its sealed but much louder in the cab.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well I figure straight to the rear of the cab, a 90* up into a T splitter then a 90* at each end of that with the 4" chrome pipes curved out at the ends and around 1' above the cab(this is how we normaly do it) just did a 05 ford diesel and did an 04 ram diesel before that
Old 03-09-2008, 12:09 AM

I would deff put it high up also I did min that way and the drone isn't that bad at all. With it like this you won't go deaf LOL
Old 03-09-2008, 12:43 AM

I used my factory tailpipe for mine 90* angle, I had a short piece of 4in flex but couldn't get it to flex into a 90*. I had the factory exhaust off and layin in the shop floor and at the end on my factory tailpipe it went from 3.5in to 4in for the tip It turned out perfert for my stack setup. However my dads 2001 the tailpipe is different.

Ive noticed a difference in stack height and style, curved being quiter in the cab than the miters I have now.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am surprised more people don't care much for their sense of hearing.

Oh well, I'm sure some Gov't program will help pay for your hearing aids after all the years of abuse.

Quick Reply: Straight Pipe Drone!!!