Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

STOPS pulling hard after 3800 RPM????

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know where you can find a goosneck and I could put about 30,000k on it. We can go up the nearest hill and find out. lol
Old 12-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Banned

i garuntee you its not valve float he has more money in his head than most people do in there trucks.
So tell me then,how do you "guarantee" that this is not valve float?.
Money does not buy any guarantees when it comes to performance parts.When you factor in outer orbit rpms,cam twist and the motors having long push-rods,flat tappets and archaic rocker/rocker stands valve float will kill HP and it will not be regained.

Brandon...
Explain to me how engine load effects fueling in a 12v.One would think,since the P-Pump is gear driven,that load would have zero issue with fuel delivery if your still still able to run the rpms you do.If your able to pull fuel to 3800 freely and the truck drops like a stone above it then its either a fuel supply issue or a case of valve float.It doesn't matter if your a puller or a dyno truck,valve float kills hp and parts,it has no friends.......Andy
Old 12-26-2007, 08:00 AM

I NEVER once said it had any relation to fueling on a 12V, I just thought that if I had the weight of a sled behind me it would keep me from leaving the trucks comfort range which would net the proper fueling, I also talked to a few respectable pullers who said 12MM Pumps leave their comfort range near or around 4000RPM more suited for 13MM pump. Hammer you said on a dyno numbers fall fast above 3200RPM so their for anything over that is useless on a dyno?????????
Brandon
Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Banned

I also talked to a few respectable pullers who said 12MM Pumps leave their comfort range near or around 4000RPM more suited for 13MM pump.
That I agree with,delivery is a big issue with 12v trucks and I am not sure whether its not more a supply issue in your case.Which then would be better suited for your application,smaller barrels and plungers which would have to work harder the higher up you go to maintain your desired power or larger barrels and plungers which would not have to strain as hard to maintian your desired fueling.Since I know your out in Ohio have you ever Columbus Diesel put your pump on their stand and see what it does up through the rpm bands,especially up high where you want to be?.It may be the easiest way to see what you have up top and why its defueling so harshly.

Hammer you said on a dyno numbers fall fast above 3200RPM so their for anything over that is useless on a dyno?????????
I have seen many strong running 12v's,both twinned and big singles,and one thing that is a constant once you plane across the 3200 rpm mark power drops rapidly.I have never had a 12v make their max power above 3000 and usually after 3200 all you see is the pyrometer rising as heat is made instead.Two of the best running pulling trucks who we had strapped down both made max power before 3000 but dragged the number out flat to 4000.At 4000 both trucks were dead fishes and had nothing left to give but both owners were happy as the flat line is what they wanted not a ski slope for a dyno chart.Those two trucks who were they,One was TDR member F8TLDose's 792hp local puller and the other a multiple time DHRA championship winner,Sled Puller.Sleddy's old truck btw is still utilizing the same setup it had when sold years ago and the current owner has changed little since he bought it from Yost.

I am still convinced after seeing a 5.9 on a engine dyno that the length+diameter of the camshaft+high rpms=cam twist and valve float.Long pushrods,flat tappets and agressive cam lobes do not help either.It happens in all internal combustion engines so why would our Cummins not follow suit?.Just some fuel for your thoughts......Andy
Old 12-26-2007, 12:31 PM

OK I thought you were saying anything over this RPM they were falling off the chart not staying steady on their numbers. As I said I DO NOT rule out valve float!!! But we will see when I play with it a little more.
Brandon