Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

stock suspension wants to rattle truck apart

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock suspension wants to rattle truck apart

i know my truck is no cadillac and will never ride like one...but when i hit any bump on the road, or drive the nasty dirt roads in WV the truck bumps and shakes so bad. the suspension doesnt take any of the hit. the truck rattles horribly from the bump, and feels like the control arms are gonna fall off the frame mounts.

is it bad shocks...maybe just need better grade shocks? i dunno but it hit so hard it hurts my back sometimes and im a young guy just 20 years old. will a lift with softer springs and better shocks help...i plan on a 4-5" lift in the future.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:39 PM

The Kore suspension setups have a great reputation, but a bit pricey... But then I reckon you get what you pay for...
Old 02-02-2006, 12:43 PM

Sounds like death wobble to me.....do a search on death wobble and see what you come up with. Get comfortable first......
Old 02-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

this isnt a wobble...this is jsut the supsension not dampening the bumps at all...it feels as if the axles are mounted solid to the frame. thats why i was wondering if my shocks could be bad and not taking the "shock" out of the bumps.

i guess ill look into some new shocks, get my tires on and get a good alignment and see if that doesnt help...hope the tax man doesnt take too much money
Old 02-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

My truck rides like a big ol pile of dog poo.........although it's a lot better since I put my 38's on, they absorbed a lot of the bumps.

1. I'd replace your shocks ( guessing they might still be original perhaps?? ) Usually most cars bounce really bad when the shocks are bad, but with the weight of our motors they don't really do much bouncing!!

2. What's your air pressure set at in your tires?? That might be something to look at. When I had my 35" Toyo's on my truck, that thing rode so freakin rough cuz the sidewall didn't give what so ever.

3. Check all of your bolts on the control arms and make sure they're all there.........had one of mine rattle lose one time and fall out......rode and drove REALLY bad.

It could also be a combo of things, but more than likely something simple. It's always gonna ride rough, but it shouldn't ride so rough it kills your back!!

~Nick
Old 02-02-2006, 07:08 PM

when i redid the suspension i went with the nappa shocks with the adjustable dampening ... they are available online but not in stock at the stores.. you will have to special order them.. but they are the exact same as the munro gas shocks... they ride really nice... when i drive the highways the truck actually is smooth like a caddy... the offroading isnt terrably bad either.. its a heck of a lot better then the stock ones.. also they are great because when i get to the track i turn them to #9 and the rear end is stiff as a board and the truck launchs off the line without squading..... helps a lot there also...
Old 02-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned

i look into those storx...thanks for the info!