Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stock Oil Plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Oil Plug

Does anyone know where I can find a stock repacement oil drain plug?? I dont want any of those fancy ez drain stuff, because I heard they tend to fracture as well. I have a slow, but steady oil leak and it seems to be seeping from the plug. I tightened the hell out of it and its still leaking!! From what I have read and have been told, the stock oil drain plugs tend to fracture! . Has anyone else experienced this?? Thanks in advance for yalls help!!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"tightening the hell out of....." there's your prob. One of two things happen here. Either the plug/seal gets damaged, or you damage the pan. Try the plug and seal and if it still leaks (which I have seen), you can try to clean the sealing surface of the pan or simply add a little of the gray rear end lube rtv to the gasket area of the plug. I've always installed my drain plug at 30ft lb of torque.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:26 PM

Do you have a copper washer under the drain plug? Mine seeped for a few oil changes til I finally replaced the missing washer. You closest Cummins distributor would be the best place to order or buy one.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:43 PM

I've got a stock plug and washer laying in the garage. Mine was doing what your's did, from overtightening it to the specs in the manual (it was a misprint). This caused the original to fracture. I purchased a replacement with a washer ... cost me around $25 , and it still leaked. I replaced mine with a Fumoto and the leak is gone!

I find it hard to believe the EZ drain/Fumoto's can crack, since you barely tighten them and, once installed, you never touch them again. You're welcome to the stock one, if I can find it!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:35 PM

Angry Tight?

I bought my truck in Nov of 03, used, from the local (at that time) Dodge/GM dealership. A couple of months later, when I went to change the oil, I stuck a 3/8" ratchet into the bottom of the drain plug. Couldn't budge it, with a normal (10 or 12" long handled ratchet?). Ended up pushing on it with BOTH feet, with my hands braced under the pickup to keep the leverage with my feet . Got the oil drained/changed, and re-installed plug using a more "feels like it's tight enough" method, since at the time, I didn't know what the foot-pounds of torque it was supposed to be set at. Hasn't leaked yet, even after numerous more changes...guess I got real lucky! I did, however, buy a spare plug/washer that rides in the glovebox of the pickup, so I will have it, if/when I need it.

DuWayne