Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stock LP & FASS 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stock LP & FASS 2

Hello All,

Thought some of you might benefit from the following information. I received my FASS 2 System today. For those of you who don’t know, the FASS 2 is the FASS System minus the filtering system. It is $200 less, but the kit comes with everything you need for the complete installation of it and also carriers the same 4 year guarantee as the original FASS System. Mine is for my 2002 and the fuel line connects right to your stock fuel filter housing. This way you utilize the stock fuel filter, the fuel heater and the “water in fuel” sensor. The kit includes an in-line fuel filter as well that goes between the fuel tank and the pump, so you have a filter both before & after the pump. This looks like a very solid unit, especially when compared to the stock lift pump. The instructions are well laid out and it looks to be a relatively simple install. I will find out tomorrow when I put it in.
BTW – I am just a member here and have no ties what so ever to FASS. It is just the system I decided to go with to replace the stock lift pump. I will also be installing a fuel pressure gauge in the cab as well.

My Best, Greg
Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I finally got the time to install my FASS II today. Fairly simple, but the kit was missing hose clamps. A quick trip to the hardware store and & was off & running again. They need to add wire ties to the kit.

I remember reading somewhere about the fuel pressure guage becomes boring with a FASS because it rarely moves even at WOT. They were right.

Idle = 17.5 PSI
Cruise = 16
WOT = 15

4 year warranty, unlimited mileage, I'll buy the clamps & wire ties.

I'm gonna miss watching the stock LP pressure bounce all over the place. NOT!

Now I'm ready for some bombing baby!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:55 PM

Best price for a Fass 2 system?

Who do you guys recommend for the best price? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:06 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but the kit was missing hose clamps.
WHAT? Oh, heck no, I would have boxed it up and returned it at that point! You were warned about FASS!

If you need me, I'll be over at www.walbrorules. com

Old 01-31-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
WHAT? Oh, heck no, I would have boxed it up and returned it at that point! You were warned about FASS!

You are so bad!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by lezmark7
Who do you guys recommend for the best price? Thanks.
They were running a group by on a different web site for $329. Ends mid-night TONIGHT! I bought mine there. No problems.
http://dieselram.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...c;f=5;t=000684
Old 02-01-2006, 12:17 AM

Just ordered mine. Thanks for the tip Geico.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by P.J

Laugh all ya want, it works and it works well.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to "Nit Pick" a little.
FASS stands for Fuel Air Separation System. There is no FASS II.
There is a HPFP...High Pressure Fuel Pump.... also mfg by DPP (the maker of the FASS).

Probable just me, but reading FASS II is right up there with "Cummings" and calling diesel fuel "Gas".
I feel better now! Have a nice day.

RJ
Old 02-01-2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Just to "Nit Pick" a little.
FASS stands for Fuel Air Separation System. There is no FASS II.
There is a HPFP...High Pressure Fuel Pump.... also mfg by DPP (the maker of the FASS).

Probable just me, but reading FASS II is right up there with "Cummings" and calling diesel fuel "Gas".
I feel better now! Have a nice day.

RJ
It's kinda like Klenex & tissue. You are right, but it is just a simple way to say it.

Actually, HPFP stands for High Performance Fuel Pump, but hey now I'm nit picking.

FASS II is quicker, (and better)
Old 02-01-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely correct...Thanks for the correction!
Would you believe me if I said "I knew that!"

RJ
Old 02-01-2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by 043500QC
Laugh all ya want, it works and it works well.
I would like to have a civil discussion about the system you guys have come up with, and congratulations on the first systems.

IMHO with the unregulated bypass you are starving the VP-44. The pressure readings drop to 10PSI WOT right? That reading is taken at the fuel filter right? The bypass located upstream of the filter is cutting the pressure in two right? That means you are running WOT at 5 PSI or less?

Hopefully, (I want to see the Walbro pump work) the volume is good enough? Has anyone done a flow test for fuel coming out of the VP? The bypass may even be allowing less fuel into the VP for critical cooling and lubrication.

Any bombing other than stock and you have a starved VP-44. This Walbro set up may work as a replacement for the stock LP, but it is not a good idea (YET) for any bombing setups? I'm asking, not stating a fact.

I'm not bad mouthing anybody, just looking at the info.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2002cumTRBODSL
Hello All,

Thought some of you might benefit from the following information. I received my FASS 2 System today. For those of you who don’t know, the FASS 2 is the FASS System minus the filtering system. It is $200 less, but the kit comes with everything you need for the complete installation of it and also carriers the same 4 year guarantee as the original FASS System. Mine is for my 2002 and the fuel line connects right to your stock fuel filter housing. This way you utilize the stock fuel filter, the fuel heater and the “water in fuel” sensor. The kit includes an in-line fuel filter as well that goes between the fuel tank and the pump, so you have a filter both before & after the pump. This looks like a very solid unit, especially when compared to the stock lift pump. The instructions are well laid out and it looks to be a relatively simple install. I will find out tomorrow when I put it in.
BTW – I am just a member here and have no ties what so ever to FASS. It is just the system I decided to go with to replace the stock lift pump. I will also be installing a fuel pressure gauge in the cab as well.

My Best, Greg
Very solid unit imho also. Had it on over 20k miles now. I'd have to say though, that having a right angle drill motor would have made it easier to install the mounting bracket Either way, I think you'll love the HPFP / FASSII
Old 02-01-2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
I would like to have a civil discussion about the system you guys have come up with, and congratulations on the first systems.

IMHO with the unregulated bypass you are starving the VP-44. The pressure readings drop to 10PSI WOT right? That reading is taken at the fuel filter right? The bypass located upstream of the filter is cutting the pressure in two right? That means you are running WOT at 5 PSI or less?

Hopefully, (I want to see the Walbro pump work) the volume is good enough? Has anyone done a flow test for fuel coming out of the VP? The bypass may even be allowing less fuel into the VP for critical cooling and lubrication.

Any bombing other than stock and you have a starved VP-44. This Walbro set up may work as a replacement for the stock LP, but it is not a good idea (YET) for any bombing setups? I'm asking, not stating a fact.

I'm not bad mouthing anybody, just looking at the info.
Geico, I would also love to have a civil conversation on this topic, but it seems as though that can`t happen here because too many ppl wear thier feelings about the various aftermarket pumps on thier shoulders. I had no interest in starting a war over the dreaded Walbro pump. When I got into it, my only intention was to make it work on my dads truck. I admit I got caught up in all the crap, and I added fuel to the fire. I don`t care which one works better in someone else`s opinion, only what works for me. Everyone here is completely intitled to thier opinion, and I, personally never said one bad thing about the FASS, other than I thought it was way over priced, and I still believe that.

Now, with all that said, I`ll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Yes, our readings so far have been 17psi@ idle and 10psi @ WOT. Fuel pressure is being read pre filter. Why do you think the pressure is cut in half ? The return line restriction is what is keeping the pressure regulated.

We haven`t had a chance to do a flow test yet, I`m very curious as to how it is doing too. I really can`t see how the flow would be less with this pump, seeing how much it was pumping out when we were trying to set the regulator. We ran it for no more 5-7 secs and it was easily putting out 30 oz in that short time. So far, we haven`t had any problems running it unregulated, and the truck seems to run alot better since this install. Dad`s wastegate is pinned open, and he normally see`s around 36-38 lbs of boost. Doing a test run last week, he hit 40lbs ( we know, thats too much ) which he`s never done before. Now, I`m certainly no expert, but I just don`t see the VP starving and the engine making that kind of boost.

Thank you for the congrats, and I also congradulate you on your FASS install, I truely hope it works well for you.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:51 AM

If the WOT PSI is 10 at the filter it only stands to reason if you have 2 return lines the pressure is cut in half after that right?

OH! Wait a minute! There is a bypass, but it still goes back to the original return line right? There is only one return line this causes the back pressure. Got it!

.......................... never mind.

I'm glad you guys have come up with a fix for the stock LP. I really am! If I was looking for a stock LP replacement I'd be a Walbro man. I went with the FASS II for the warranty and future bombing plans.

Quick Reply: Stock LP & FASS 2