Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stock auto hold a 8 plate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 05:04 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock auto hold a 8 plate?

Was wondering if anybody has run a #8 plate with the stock auto? A friend gave me the plate so cost was right. Its my work truck 98 2500 4x4. Got an egt and boost gauges. The muffler is gone and cat gutted. Trans is in good condition and has been serviced regularly. Thanks Tim
Old 12-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Chapter President

Re:Stock auto hold a 8 plate?

In all actuality, it depends on how you are going to drive it. If you drive with a heavy right foot, then you are going to make the torque converter scream for mercy real soon. If you take advantage of the extra power with finesse, then it will last for a while. I would look into at least swapping your torque converter for a better one. Stock trannys just don't last very long around here. ;D
Old 12-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Banned

I know TC are expensive. But I think you will be ok if you are not towing. Mine ran fine with a #8 when it was stock, just suddered when loaded down with a heavey trailer. But after disconecting the trailer, it would go fine and no more sudder.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:37 PM

A #8 is about all you want to put in with a stock tranny. It should put you into about 250 hp. Take a look at my sig and you will see my set up. I can make the tq shudder at about 10 psi loaded or empty. The tranny has about 63k on it since rebuild although I don't know what kind of rebuild since the previous owner did it. From what I have read and seen it was only a stock rebuild. IF you take it easy you should have no problems for many miles. I should tell you that my tranny has been getting worse and worse so it is only a matter of time before I replace it with a better one. All I need to do is get back to work....................................
Tom
Old 12-19-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is holding the 8 plate for a year and a half but it seems a little flaky. I have the plate in the stock position. If I nail it in 3rd with the TC unlocked, it revs to about 26-2700RPM and the truck catches up. It'll hold locked up in 3rd fairly well. From a dead stop, 1st is over in about 2 seconds, second a little longer and then into the catch-up 3rd scenario. I don't tow but haul a camper occasionally and take it easy when I do.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:26 PM

I've had my plate for about 40k miles now, with quite a bit of that towing a 12k pound fifth. So far, my only problem with the tranny has been the TPS this summer.
I try not to horse it too much but I don't baby it either. Do I expect at some point to have a tranny problem? Yes. I don't believe you can take a 50% HP increase and not have a problem. When it happens, I'll just pay the bill and go on.
In the meantime, I'm a lot happier with the way the truck runs and pulls.

Bill
Old 12-19-2003, 09:24 PM

I had my trannie slip a little in OD with a heavy foot on a hill. I took it out of OD and pulled the rest of the hill fine.

I will now be more careful.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:55 PM

I have run the setup in my sig with a stock trans for the last year and a half, roughly 30K miles. Stomp on it pretty good at least twice a day, and just recently the lock up clutch has started to go, hence the GB trans. All I did to the stock trans was turn up the line pressure and change the shift points.....

Serviced the trans fairly regular and never burnt the fluid.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:33 PM

Hey Cowhand, what do you think of the GB tranny?
Old 12-22-2003, 02:45 PM

I have a 94 with a city diesel(close to #5) plate, and if i want to i can eat the stock converter easy. I dont know wether its just that wore out or what, but if you stomp it in 2nd gear with the converter locked up it will slip bad. It also slips bad in overdrive if you step on it, and the other day i was pulling a goosneck with a discmower on it, and i had the overdrive locked off, and i got into it a little over half throttle coming up a small hill, and it started to slip. The power is great, but its rough on the tranny.

Eric
Old 12-26-2003, 06:19 PM

#8 plate

going to find out what a #4 plate and 370 injecters will do to a 3 speed in the near future. only mod to trans is a manuel valve body. going to use what ever size slicks it takes to hold it. personally i think the lock up converter is the week link. i have raced these trans missions for over 12 years. the only problems i had was my stupidity.