Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stock 6 speed clutch limits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock 6 speed clutch limits?

I've searched for an answer but wasn't able to find anything specific. How much hp/trq. are the stock 6 speed clutches good for? Thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Banned

I know by SOP feel from riding in a friends truck!

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

well seeing as you have more work than me....i am no help but i ran DD3's and a van aaken...which was prolly close to 380/850 at the flywheel...and it didnt slip unless i slipped it on the launch

i put a new clutch in...rated to hold 550/1100 and its slipping now at the same power level that the stocker held
Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 AM

I Heard they were rated for 750ft lbs off the crank. My clutch would not hold 4, 5, and six gear towing with a comp and dd2's. Empty I could only slip it in 5th, low rpm's. I have same clutch rated for 550hp, and it is working great. No slippage whatsoever. I just wish it wasnt so harsh while towing. Especially on take off.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Registered

i tink that it would hold a comp if your easy on it. but of course if ya have a comp, ya gotta use it. So plan on a new clutch. it might be a year or more down the road, but youll probley have to have one if you go and mod it.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm convinced the reported differences in power which the 6 speed clutch can handle has to do with driving styles. If the engine is kept above 2000 or 2200 rpm, out of the maximum torque band, the clutch does better. It's torque, not hp, that slips the clutch. Mine stock clutch started slipping at the 325 hp level and I drive within the max torque band.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:49 AM

Well I am beginning to think that the previous owner may have installed a clutch along with all the other stuff he put into this truck. It does engage a little rough and backing up is rather jerky. I dyno'd earlier this year at 330/782 with no slippage detected. I am now running a Drag Comp and I dont feel any slipping. My buddy just installed a TST on his 3rd gen H.O. 6spd. and slipped the clutch right away on 3x3. He said it was VERY noticable. I guess I'll just keep adding more power until I find the limit of this clutch!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:54 AM

drop some big sticks in it.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by CTD_Neil
Well I am beginning to think that the previous owner may have installed a clutch along with all the other stuff he put into this truck..
i was thinking the same with my 02. i could not slip it. the previous owner used to tow a lot with a 5th wheel...my guess for my truck was he installed a "heavy duty" of some sort clutch. maybe it was luck.

that clutch held the #s in the sig, and also when the wire was tapped. i also drove with my foot to the floor from 1100rpm up to 3200rpm many times.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CTD_Neil
Well I am beginning to think that the previous owner may have installed a clutch along with all the other stuff he put into this truck. It does engage a little rough and backing up is rather jerky. I dyno'd earlier this year at 330/782 with no slippage detected. I am now running a Drag Comp and I dont feel any slipping. My buddy just installed a TST on his 3rd gen H.O. 6spd. and slipped the clutch right away on 3x3. He said it was VERY noticable. I guess I'll just keep adding more power until I find the limit of this clutch!
The first time my clutch slipped, I was accellerating hard in 6th at about 1600 rpm, getting on the freeway. It was same as if the tranmission was thrown in neutral. My foot wasn't even on the clutch and I was blown away by the whole incident.

In those days, aftermarket 6 speed clutches were very rare. Ironically, one, which was avialable, was the McLeod DUAL disk. All the people, I knew, who converted to the McLeod ended up changing to something else when other choices became avialable. All complained about the chattering noise caused by the "un-sprung" hub.

I went with the JDRE Sachs, which literally blew up within a year, and was replaced under warranty. It gouged a 1/4" deep groove 360* around the bell housing. My second Sachs was better, but wore out within 50k miles. I run a Con FE now.

If your clutch jerks, it's probably not stock.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:36 AM

Slipped mine last night.

2002 ETH DEE, edge ez and towing twins.

Only slips in 6th when I put the soot peddle down at 1500 rpms.

Justin
Old 09-22-2005, 04:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
I'm convinced the reported differences in power which the 6 speed clutch can handle has to do with driving styles. If the engine is kept above 2000 or 2200 rpm, out of the maximum torque band, the clutch does better. It's torque, not hp, that slips the clutch. Mine stock clutch started slipping at the 325 hp level and I drive within the max torque band.
I think it has to do with driving style, too, but not so much with RPM. I think RPM only matters after the clutch is getting close to slipping.

I know that the previous owner of my truck stuck with OEM, because the P.O *WAS* the OEM! (bought it new).

Just by way of example, I was told that my stock clutch would NOT hold an EZ and DD2s. I expected it to slip. I drove it hard, ripped through the gears and such. It never slipped. Until...

I was on a road trip back to Chicago, and was experimenting with a blocked WG. With a boost elbow, I was getting 31-32psi. With the plug, I could get 35psi. So pull out to pass a guy and the boost smacks to 35psi in OD-- BAM! Slippage. I could fell the truck surge as the clutch slipped and grabbed, slipped and grabbed. I could see it on the boost gauge, too-- it would go from 35 down to 28psi, then back up as the clutch grabbed. The weather on this trip was VERY cold, and when the clutch slipped, ambient temps were around 10°-- wind chill was lower.

So I unblocked the WG, surprised that it added more power. I was just going to try to keep the clutch alive a little longer.

Then I sold my EZ and DD2s and bought some Mach 4s. I thought for sure they would slip the clutch. Turns out the clutch held completely, because the absence of a box meant that the OEM computer would cut fueling and reduce power.

Then Bob Wagner sent me a Catcher ECM to test for a while. This allows full power and has WICKED bottom end. If a catcher can't slip your clutch, it won't slip.

I tested the catcher for 9 days, ripping around town, lighting up the tires and going WOT on the interstate. Boost was 38psi (at altitude, probably would be 40+ at lower elevation). NO clutch slippage. EGT would kiss 1600, while before it never passed 1350. NO clutch slippage. I'm positive it would have slipped eventually with the ECM and 4s, but it didn't in the time I tested it, which surprised me.

Now, how come my clutch slipped at 35psi with an EZ and DD2s, but held 38+psi with a Catcher and Mach 4s?? I can't say. Especially since the SOP power of the ECM and 4s is a LOT more than the DD2s and EZ.

With that as background, let me say that there is NO SET POWER limit to the stock clutch. I've heard of some slipping with JUST an EZ!! Some slip with a mild box and 275s. Then you have mine which held a Catcher and Mach 4s

I believe that the clutch's life and holding power is 99% driving style. I think my clutch has held well because I treat it like a switch-- off or on, no in-between. I start in 1st gear just so I can pop the clutch, instead of ease it out. I do the same for ALL my shifts. The only time I ever ease the clutch at all is towing, which is RARE for my truck.

I'll never know why the clutch slipped that time. Maybe an oil or fuel leak? Maybe the super-cold air helping make a lot more power? I have no idea.

My clutch is getting soft, but I could get another year out of it for sure. Tapping the wire or adding a box again will surely prevent that, though.

Driving style is everything.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:40 PM

Driving style and RPM's, I think. My clutch is stock, the Edge Pulse is a underhood version of the Comp, and after 40K miles, the clutch is still cheerful and robust. I haul lumber and building materials, and a 30 foot trailer. Mostly in the mountains, east and west. I don't baby the truck, but I don't abuse it, either. I always shift well above 1500 rpm - usually near 2000 rpm and above.

No doubt, since I've posted this, tomorrow I'll slip the clutch for the first time....