Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Still fighting boost leak problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also went through the Attitude setup and made sure something hasn't changed.

Boost limit = 45 PSI
EGT limit = 1350
Old 12-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

sounds to me like the ECM is cutting fuel and not letting it build the boost. if it was the wastegate opening early you'd have lots of extra smoke dumping thru the exhaust from the fuel thats not being burned by lack of boost. if its not making any smoke at WOT then the fuel isnt getting injected in the first place.

maybe try double checking all your edge connectors, or unplugging them all (data link, and map are all you need to unplug) and driving the truck to see if you have the same problem still. throw a smarty on it while the edge is disconnected if you have access to anyone close by with one and that should eliminate the stock ECM's defueling when seeing overboost situations.

im just trying to eliminate each possible problem here. if the smarty fixes the problem then its something in the edge thats not fooling the ECM and allowing it to defuel.

if it still does it with the smarty, then you may have electronics heading south on the VP44 like my last one did.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=4x4dually;1262818]I just went out and read the codes....priase the Lord...no codes

P-ECU
--------
P-Done QUOTE]

I would see if you can get a scanner i had a code that for some odd reason didnt show up on the odometer i dunno if its likely but it happened to me.

Do you hear any air escaping such as a whining noise when building boost
Old 12-22-2006, 02:39 AM

I think GB is onto something- find a friend with a ez, smarty or the like and try it out just to see if that eliminates the problem. Sounds like how my truck acted when I threw a couple hundred hp worth of fuel in the mix without a box or programmer.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by francis212
Do you hear any air escaping such as a whining noise when building boost
No. I don't hear anything. All I know is when I floor it, the boost builds up to 20 PSI or so and then the truck starts bucking and jumping and the boost never exceeds 25 PSI or so.

Now, if the boost fooler wasn't working and the ECM or whatever started to defuel, wouldn't it be a smooth transition and just make the RPM's quit rising? Why would it buck and jump like that? The defueling didn't buck and jump when I blocked my wastegate before I got my Edge module. Maybe because of all the extra air with this turbo..maybe it is putting the fire out?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Banned

My ole 12 valve got the waste gate hooked back up by mistake and it would run strong til 25 lbs then start stumbling and missing. Whew, I thought I had serious problems.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hayseed
My ole 12 valve got the waste gate hooked back up by mistake and it would run strong til 25 lbs then start stumbling and missing. Whew, I thought I had serious problems.
I love the bull horns.....I only have one so I'm half as cool as you are! Those are "OH MY GOD TALL!"

I was wondering if the wastegate has mysteriously changed itself. The little end on the actuator that hooks on the flipper thingy screws onto the threaded end of the actuator shaft. It HAS NO JAM NUT! I am wondering if the actuator shaft can turn in the vacuum bowl thing and change itself without it having that jam nut to lock it.

Sound reasonable?