Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Still fighting boost leak problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Well, maybe I shoud get a compression test done, eh?
Couldn't hurt!

Chris
Old 12-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned

I just talked to Jetpilot and he gave me a lot of good thing to check and do before I dive into something major. We almost ruled out the head gasket thing, but, I still have some checking to do. I'll do a bunch of other stuff and then losen the rockers off if I have to. Do they just tighten down all the way and get torqued or do they have any "setting" that needs to be done?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:17 AM

I'd ask Jetpilot if I were you...I've never done it

Chris
Old 12-21-2006, 12:33 PM
The Guru

Here is what I do to check for boost leaks. I've put a AN-4 fitting into a 1/4 npt plug on the head by the map sensor. I put of the air compressor hose here. I remove the airtube hose on the turbo discharge side, this is after the turbocharger discharge elbow. I bought a PCV 3" ball valve that fits snuggly into the intercooler hose. Double camp (intercooler camps work great here) the hose to the valve. I've gotten up to 65psi of air pressure with no booms or pops (sudden air releases). Don't forget to back off the exhaust rocker arms until they are loose. Get some water/soap and spray and spray until you find the leak. I'll bet that you'll hear it first as its more than likely a big leak.
The grid heater gaskets leaks, the intake gaskets leaks and your intercooler will have a leak. I use a lite grease (litum) to coat the gaskets. Torque the intake gasket up in proper sequence. I use locite on the bolts to keep them tight. You will have leaks no matter what you do but fix the big leaks.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Banned

Thanks Mike! I had one bolt on the intake cover that blew some bubbles, but not enough to let a huge amount of air out. Most of the bolts on that cover did need about a 1/4 turn to be to the correct torque spec. I have new gaskets for the grid heater as I have removed the stock ones three or four times and I know they are torn in places....but they didn't blow any bubbles. I'll try for more air pressure tonight and see what gives! Man...I sure feel better now about it not being a freakin' head gasket. That was going to stink in a severe way!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

Man...I sure feel better now about it not being a freakin' head gasket. That was going to stink in a severe way!
dont look at it that way...when mine blew i got to rebuild the head, o-ring it, got a marine gasket and got studs...it was the best thing to happen to me.

now i can run the dog poo out of it (when its warmed up) without fearing a popped HG!!!

im adding twins in the spring, and i know ill be safe then too
Old 12-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

Ya, I hear ya. But I am at the limit of mods so if the stocker will hold me and my 400+ wherever it is horsepower for now, it will have to do. I got to get 10 acres fenced, my working chute finished, kitchen cabinets built, job after job. I don't need to be working on my truck for half a week right now!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

Ya, I hear ya. But I am at the limit of mods so if the stocker will hold me and my 400+ wherever it is horsepower for now, it will have to do. I got to get 10 acres fenced, my working chute finished, kitchen cabinets built, job after job. I don't need to be working on my truck for half a week right now!
you need to get your priorities straight...truck first, life second!!! j/k

i hear ya man, im just ribbing ya a bit. good luck and hopefully its an easy fix for you.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
you need to get your priorities straight...truck first, life second!!! j/k

i hear ya man, im just ribbing ya a bit. good luck and hopefully its an easy fix for you.
It is something stupid like my egde module connector is loose and the boost fooler isn't working or something dumb like that. I always expect the worse and settle for mediocraty....or how ever you spell it.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

It is something stupid like my egde module connector is loose and the boost fooler isn't working or something dumb like that. I always expect the worse and settle for mediocraty....or how ever you spell it.
have you noticed increased EGT or loss of power with the loss of boost?

if not then it could be something with the reading from the map sensor to the edge attitude display. anyway you can hook up a temporary mechanical style air pressure gauge to the plug in the side of the manifold? that will tell you if you are getting a true reading on the J/A display
Old 12-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Banned

have you noticed increased EGT or loss of power with the loss of boost?

if not then it could be something with the reading from the map sensor to the edge attitude display. anyway you can hook up a temporary mechanical style air pressure gauge to the plug in the side of the manifold? that will tell you if you are getting a true reading on the J/A display
All numbers are normal....according to Attitude. I know the boost is cutting off because you can also feel it in the truck. Once the truck hits over 20 PSI, the whole dang things shimmies and junks and jerks and it sounds like the turbo is trying to bark a hundred times in a second. It is just a real fast, whoosh whoosh whoosh sound. I wish I could explain it better, but you can definetly tell someting is wrong, not just by the display. It feels like someone cutting the fuel on-off-on-off or the boost is chraging-dropping-charging-dropping.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Banned

any codes?

what does the black smoke and EGT's do when it happens, if you have a ton of smoke and high temps, then boost is leaking, if you have no smoke and normal or low temps then the engine just isnt fueling to make the boost.

i found this out when i was running some 150hp injectors and B1 with no edge comp box on my truck, it was at edge getting an upgrade, and the stock ECM only allows 20some psi...when it hit that number the engine totally stopped fueling. and the truck would nose dive, stay right at like 25 psi and make all kinds of noises. and had no pull like i was used to when the box was plugged in and i was making 40+psi
Old 12-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

any codes?

what does the black smoke and EGT's do when it happens, if you have a ton of smoke and high temps, then boost is leaking, if you have no smoke and normal or low temps then the engine just isnt fueling to make the boost.
I just went out and read the codes....priase the Lord...no codes

P-ECU
--------
P-Done

Whew! You made me think about my injector pump. I don't EVEN want to think about that!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Banned

I just went out and read the codes....priase the Lord...no codes

P-ECU
--------
P-Done

Whew! You made me think about my injector pump. I don't EVEN want to think about that!

im think its in your edge box and its boost fooling capabilities. what settings are you running on/this happening on? how is the power up until the boost drop off?

it sounds like the edge isnt fooling the boost now and the stock ECM is trying to limit the VP from injecting the fuel needed to build more than 20-25psi.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Ya. I meant to answer your smoke questions a minute ago before I got an email that there were goodies to be eatin' in the conference room. No wonder I can't fit in these jeans....desk job....goodies....I'm getting some "fat jeans" for Christmas...at least fat for me. I sure hate to lose about 12 pairs of 34's in my closet!

Anyway, smoke is normal. I'm running edge on 3-2 most of the time. Smokes hard until about 15 PSI them clears completely up at WOT...well..until it won't accelerate anymore. I can contol smoke and do most of the time by easing into it until boost hits double digits, 10 or 11, and then pushing the pedal harder and it doesn't smoke much at all. Acceleration is hard as normal until the mid 20's. Maybe I'm chasing the wrong thing here. Maybe it is a fuel problem. I can just hear the turbo trying to bark and whoosh and thought it was loosing pressure.

Quick Reply: Still fighting boost leak problem!