Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stereo amps installed (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo amps installed (pics included)

Got done installing my stereo amps into my new truck today. Front speakers (Focals) are powered by a Zapco amp and the rear subs (JL) are powered by a JL amp. All wiring is from KnuKonceptz.com. Love that stuff.

The "brains" of the system is all in the dash, of course. Alpine 9835 head unit, then all the rest is in the glovebox. Yeah, there's a lot of stuff in here, but I like to be able to adjust my crossovers and line drivers without taking off the door panels. (Note: the crossovers aren't actually connected yet in this pic)

Old 01-21-2006, 09:19 PM

nice install especially the zapco and knukconceptz.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:26 PM

I have the same head unit....pretty happy with it, but the motorized face plate has stuck on me a couple times.

Can't say the same about my RF amps though....fried my first P3001 (drives my sub), but the second one seems to be holding up. Haven't had any problems with the 4004 driving my mids and tweets....

I went for clean sound, and it still hits pretty good with a single CDT 10" in a center seat replacement box. I scabbed all of it in the first time around and didn't like the noise I was picking up, so I took the seats and carpet up and ran everything right. No more noise....

I mounted my amps under the rear seat, one on each side.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:30 PM

Nice equipment. Lose some of that wire
Old 01-21-2006, 09:41 PM

Nah, wanted to have enough wire to be able to pull the amps out from under the seat if need be. None of this is going to be seen once the center seat is back in and the passenger seat is slid back to where it belongs. So...it's all still nice and stealthly hidden.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:53 PM

Man I am glad you enjoy that stuff. I used too untill I started doing it everyday. I drive with my radio off now . Jl and Zapco are very good quality companies few left that have not sold out yet.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:24 AM
Banned

You spent to much on wiring. $10 says my best buy bought wire works just as good as your expensive stuff.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:12 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool, lots of wiring though. It better sound good with all of that equipment!

Did you fish those wires? I had a tough time just going to the center console for my Sirius, can't wait to pull those 4ga wires for the amp.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned

nice job aggie, I did my amp in the same spot, passenger seat side on the floor, sure was fun takin out the front seat to do it, I will get some pics later and add them to my gallery I didn't check yours for pics of the subs........
EDIT: uploaded and waiting for aproval pic of amp, sub box, and sub out of box. The box did come with poly fill installed directly in the individual sub chambers.
the amp really does not show connections as RF has a cover over the connector area to make it look like acleaner install.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned

thank you admin for the aproval of pics....... I think they look good, gives a great idea of what they look like/ fit.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:33 PM

Im lovin the amp...you cant loose with Zapco or JL...simply the best!
Old 01-22-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Did you fish those wires? I had a tough time just going to the center console for my Sirius, can't wait to pull those 4ga wires for the amp.
Running wires in these trucks is very very easy. If it's hard, you're doing it wrong. In fact, in my last truck, I ran 1/0 wire to under the center seat, then split it into dual 4 AWG wires. In this truck, I decided to just run 4 AWG to under the center seat, then split it into dual 4 AWG. Anyway, the secret is getting the carpet up.

First, remove both door sill strips. Then remove both kick panel covers. Remove both floor mats. Then, remove the plastic housing around the 4WD shifter. Then remove the plastic cover right in front of the shifter (this covers the airbag wiring harness). With this plastic removed, you can just turn the carpet back and you'll be able to reach very far under the carpet while standing outside the truck. For power wire, I first run it through the firewall hole on the drivers side. Then I route the wire under the carpet over to the 4WD shifter. Then I cut a hole in the carpet under the center seat. Make it kind of far up so you can reach the hole from under the carpet. It'll be covered since the center seat goes pretty far forward. Anyway, push the wire toward the center seat area from the 4WD shifter area, then reach under and pull it the rest of the way with your hand. You might have to use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the wire up through the hole you cut.

That's pretty much all there is to it. Oh, for grounding, I always use the bolts that are around that airbag harness (right in the bottom middle of the floorboard, on the hump). That's also where you go with your remote turn-on wire from the head unit that's going to the amp. Run it down to that airbag sensor, then under the carpet to the hole you cut. Here's a picture of all this.

Originally Posted by mikmaze
nice job aggie, I did my amp in the same spot, passenger seat side on the floor, sure was fun takin out the front seat to do it...
If you're referring to the middle front seat, it's actually very easy to remove. Four 13mm bolts and it lifts right out. If you're referring to the front passenger seat, I imagine it's pretty hard because those bolts are REALLY tight. I don't see why it would need to be removed though. I obviously didn't remove it to do mine.

Here are some pics of my subs...

Originally Posted by one54ton
Im lovin the amp...you cant loose with Zapco or JL...simply the best!
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Banned

looks good, only reason I removed my front seat, all one piece, center console and drivers/ passenger seat, was to make sure I could bolt the amp to the floor, no room with the seat installed to get a driver over top of mounting screws.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:01 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good Phil!

I see where I was making it harder than it needs to be! I did take off the cover up by the firewall, but didnn't take off the 4WD boot. Also, didn't think to take the center seat out all together .

Good work.

Is that one of those molded boxes? Are they the ones that are like $239.00?

I have a single JL sub in a sealed box that fires forward, would love to have one like yours. I think I'm going to try out the single and see how I like it. The budget is not allowing ANY more than an amp at this point in time.......
Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 PM

My amp wiring looks good until it gets close to the amp, and then it looks horrible. It runs up from the door sill strip to under my front seat, and all the wiring can be seen right there. I like the idea of it going under the middle seat though, and may do thaat later. Or just pull the carpet up some, and run it under the carpet to under the driver's seat. Of course all i have is a little 300w Jensen amp, and a 8" bass tube, but it definatley sounds better than nothing. It will do for now, but i need to clean it up some.

Eric

Quick Reply: Stereo amps installed (pics included)