Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Steering Stabilizer Other Brands DSS

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard that there is a little bit of frame flex up front as well. The brace will stop frame flex, and brace the output shaft on the steering box. My truck is a nightmare in the slush. It has so much play that if I touch the slush pile on either side of the road, my tires will point that way on their own. Last few winters haven't had anything like this. When all four are pushing slush, truck still drives fairly well. Anyway, I'll report back on my steering findings.

My steering was so loose on my way home to Wash for christmas that I ended up putting in a new trackbar at home over the holidays. I wore out that cheap Autozone bar in 8 mos. It was free to replace and it made a little difference, but I think this loose box is killing all of the other parts in my front end. After this brace, I should be GTG.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 PM

Ok guys, got the 129 dollar PSC steering stabilizer installed. Everything went smooth till I had to get that dang bearing collar thing over their steering output shaft extender nut. It was machined too close in tolerances in my opinion. I have set lots of bearing in motocross bike cases where you actually have to bake the cases to 200* in the oven an freeze the bearings and install really quick.

In this case, It was 32* outside and the bearing was inside my coveralls getting warm and it did no help. I could not get that thing on there. I beat on the bearing with a hammer till it was flush but still had another 1.25" to go, and my drift wouldn't budge it. So I ran down to Napa and bought a 1" impact wrench deep socket and used that like a drift/bearing driver.

Truck drives better but still not perfect. My steering clunks just a tad when truck is off and I rock the wheel, I think that it is because the new brace doesn't allow the output shaft to have side to side slop so my worn input shaft makes a little noise now that it doesn't have the output as a spring dampener so to speak.

On my Christmas snow drive, when my steering was worst it's ever been, the new track bar fixed 45% of the problem. It was only 8mos old so it was a free replacement. My tie rods were replaced just before that Christmas 1700 mile winter driving trip. Anyway, this stabilizer fixed another 25% of my steering slop, so I'd say it is 70-75% better than it was before track bar and brace.

So now if I want perfect steering, I probably need to adjust my steering box a little+ new input steering column shaft. Which I will never do so my truck will just have to live with 1.5" of play in the wheel.

Other than the dang shaft/bearing being so tight, install was a breeze and the product does the job. If I were to do it again, and I didn't have a 1" socket to use as a drift, I would try to take a little material off the bolt extender or maybe have a can of co2 spray or something to make it shrink some more.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok well I just ordered a PSC steering stabilizer as well. Hopefully it will go on easily!!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM

actually the chunk could be in the shaft. im trying to remember the guy to contact about replacing a bushing. ill post later when i find it.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 AM

http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/ thats the bushing im talking about also here is some ideas to tackle http://dodgeram.org/tech/troubleshoot/steering.htm hope there is something that might help
Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 AM

My steering is livable now, I think I'll just leave it till I'm rich enough to put an upgraded track bar etc. Then I might get a shaft and a new steering box.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 AM

so is the clunk after the gearbox, in the gearbox, or before the gearbox? cause if its before you might look into that bushing. i have one sitting at the house just havent found the time to install it yet. and its not gonna break the bank thats for sure. i tend to try the cheaper stuff first then move to the more expensive.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:36 PM

So that bushing goes inside the cab, under the dash? I can't tell where it goes exactly. Dang, it just never ends with these trucks doesn't it? As soon as you think you know the whole list of parts you can throw at the steering, there comes this new upgraded part for something else.

I just got an email from PSC by the way. I placed the order last night and it was already shipped this morning! They gave me a tracking number too.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

Just installed my PSC stabilizer and had no problems at all. The bearing needed only a very slight nudge to seat.

Cannot tell any difference in the driving but I had no problems prior to the install. Only did it as a precaution.

Damon
Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 PM

With all this talk I went ahead and ordered one hoefully It will make it steer a little better. Im going to try and adjust the gearbox a little while Im at it.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
So that bushing goes inside the cab, under the dash? I can't tell where it goes exactly. Dang, it just never ends with these trucks doesn't it? As soon as you think you know the whole list of parts you can throw at the steering, there comes this new upgraded part for something else.

I just got an email from PSC by the way. I placed the order last night and it was already shipped this morning! They gave me a tracking number too.
No. That bushing goes on the shaft before it passes through the firewall. You have to cut the spring and remove the spring collar. It's an outstanding upgrade to your steering.

On my 2000, I had a popping in my steering. I fixed it when I replaced my stock, worn out steering dampener with a new, upgraded one from Skyjacker. Those two items, along with my Bilsteins are the best upgrades I have done to this rig.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by kbrashears
No. That bushing goes on the shaft before it passes through the firewall. You have to cut the spring and remove the spring collar. It's an outstanding upgrade to your steering.

On my 2000, I had a popping in my steering. I fixed it when I replaced my stock, worn out steering dampener with a new, upgraded one from Skyjacker. Those two items, along with my Bilsteins are the best upgrades I have done to this rig.
How long did it take you to install the bushing? How bad was your stock bushing? My steering column doesn't feel like it has play, and hopefully it'll stay that way even after I get everything tight. So it looks like it's the bushing in fig. 1 right?

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-08-97.htm
Old 03-05-2008, 07:17 PM

Ok, so on PSC's website I paid $25 for shipping because the pacakge was supposed to be 27 pounds. On my tracking number is says the package weighs only 15.5 pounds...
Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 PM

I think a lot of companies do that to pay for the box and packaging. They probably add 10 lbs to whatever you order to cover their packaging end. Easier to add 10 lbs to the shipping weight than program 5 dollar flat rate handling fee.