Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Steering column bushing

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
So I'll hopefully have it this weekend? Cool beans.
Yeah.....that is why i left it in Texas......faster to ya.....just might was to call Cory and see how long it will take him to do what he needs to do.....
Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by squirlchasr919
To anyone who wants to do this mod to an auto truck be EXTREMLY cautious as you can collapse the column itself when trying to seat in the bushing.

To be fair there is a warning of just such an occurance in the instructions but that's what happens when you don't read everything before you start. I had to get a new column due to my failure to pay attention to detail, lesson learned.

If I had to do this again I would not pull the column, it is a very simple install, just remember the steering shaft cannot be too clean or lubed to help the install of the bushing.
Expand on what you did wrong here...........did the bushing grab the shaft? Or did you hit the shaft its self? Trying to see what the main differance is between the autos and manuals besides the shifting linkage.

ALSO....on you last comment.....you are 100% right....mine was dragging and come to find out it was some junk on the shaft that i didnt get....not to mention the bushing ID was too small......
Old 10-16-2006, 11:39 PM

when mine comes due, I'm turning a brass bushing. with separate locking ring on my lathe.

or an aluminum bushing with 1in brass press in and separate locking ring. I'll make tolarance to not require hammering in place.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 2500
when mine comes due, I'm turning a brass bushing. with separate locking ring on my lathe.

or an aluminum bushing with 1in brass press in and separate locking ring. I'll make tolarance to not require hammering in place.
That would be slick....that hammering thing is not fun.....not a lot of room in there......BUT still can be done.....
Old 10-17-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any new updates from guys with more mileage on their trucks?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:13 AM

I would guess that I have about 8,000 miles on mine........and it's great, no problems, no clunk.

Waylan
Old 10-17-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Any new updates from guys with more mileage on their trucks?
I have about 3000 or so since the install and it's loosening up a little. Right now is where I hope it stays, it's nice and firm. I pulled the TT over 1000 miles last week and the truck tracked perfectly and I was not having to constantly correct the steering. It made for a more comfortable tow and I was not worn out from the drive. Definately worth the $45.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:48 PM

Finally got the specs for the Autos. 1.584 worked out good. It was a major pain Autos are totally different than manuals you do not and cannot force the bushing in. If it doesnt go then Its either too big or the hole for the shaft is to small but Absolutely no beating it in. Trust me I learned the hard way and had to make 3 different bushings and spent hours drilling the old ones off of the shaft. Because if does not just slide on the shaft with no resistance then its to small and when you turn the steering wheel it will shift the truck. Its ok to TAP it into place just as long as the shaft spins freely and do not beat it to hard or you will push the shift linkage up into the column and break the plastic rivet off. What I did on mine is everything is just a hair loose I mean mine just pushes up in there not tapping or anything. Then I put a zip tie in front of it and use a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten it up. To hold the bushing up there.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordsux8269
Finally got the specs for the Autos. 1.584 worked out good. It was a major pain Autos are totally different than manuals you do not and cannot force the bushing in. If it doesnt go then Its either too big or the hole for the shaft is to small but Absolutely no beating it in. Trust me I learned the hard way and had to make 3 different bushings and spent hours drilling the old ones off of the shaft. Because if does not just slide on the shaft with no resistance then its to small and when you turn the steering wheel it will shift the truck. Its ok to TAP it into place just as long as the shaft spins freely and do not beat it to hard or you will push the shift linkage up into the column and break the plastic rivet off. What I did on mine is everything is just a hair loose I mean mine just pushes up in there not tapping or anything. Then I put a zip tie in front of it and use a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten it up. To hold the bushing up there.
Mine works perfectly until it gets cold and then either the bushing or the shaft swells and it will get hard to turn and shift out of gear when you turn it. About 50 degrees is when the complications start. I called David and talked to him about it and he said it is a problem and for me to take it off and sand it down some and try it again. Maybe some day I'll get the energy to pull it out, but right now I'm not in any hurry.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 PM

Old thread but here I go. My play in the column appears to be above the shift collar. Did anyone notice play in this area before replacing doing the bushing fix? The center shaft (that attaches to the steering rod) has no play at all. It all appears to be abobe the collar. I got an email from the guy that made ity but he was no help at all.

Are there any parts above the shift collar that can be replaced?

thanks

lewis
Old 08-17-2007, 02:40 AM

help please
Old 08-19-2007, 07:43 AM

to the top
Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by lews930
Old thread but here I go. My play in the column appears to be above the shift collar. Did anyone notice play in this area before replacing doing the bushing fix? The center shaft (that attaches to the steering rod) has no play at all. It all appears to be abobe the collar. I got an email from the guy that made ity but he was no help at all.

Are there any parts above the shift collar that can be replaced?

thanks

lewis

In all honesty....if you are seeing play there....and the center rod it tight....you would not notice it in the steering....only in your shifter.....gathering from your description.....

Your shift collar and the steering shaft should be 2 separate components …..

I could be wrong......its been a while since i have looked at an autos shift collar......the Manual unit is quite simple and direct.....
Old 09-08-2007, 03:31 PM

I'm attempting to do this work right now. I just want to double check. How do you remove the steering shaft off of the column above the joint? I loosened the nut, but I can't seem to get it to slide off the shaft. I don't want to break anything. I need some help ASAP.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by kbrashears
I'm attempting to do this work right now. I just want to double check. How do you remove the steering shaft off of the column above the joint? I loosened the nut, but I can't seem to get it to slide off the shaft. I don't want to break anything. I need some help ASAP.
You mean at the gear box????

Quick Reply: Steering column bushing