Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Steering column bushing

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering column bushing

Anybody seen or used this? I saw it over on TDR and ordered one. I will post back after I install it.

Waylan

http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/
Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also very interested in your results. I have some slack and rattles in my column and this might just do the trick. I have replaced everything on the front end except this. Please let us know how it works for you.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:44 AM

Yeah, Mike D brought this to my attention the other day. We were both thinking about ordering one. I've got a DSS sitting in the garage waiting to go on so I figured I'd wait until I saw how that affected my steering first.

Keep us posted on your results though. Good luck, hope it works well. Hard to beat the price.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Banned

Please let me know how it works.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
Yeah, Mike D brought this to my attention the other day. We were both thinking about ordering one. I've got a DSS sitting in the garage waiting to go on so I figured I'd wait until I saw how that affected my steering first.

Keep us posted on your results though. Good luck, hope it works well. Hard to beat the price.

i put my DSS on and still have some play in the steering, im going to order this bushing friday and i too will post my results, but i wont be driving the truck until i get a new tranny
Old 06-28-2006, 10:11 AM

As soon as it comes in the mail and I get it put in I'll post my results.

Here's what the guy that makes the bushings posted over on TDR. If you read on down, he even tells you exactly how to make your own. I don't have a lathe, and it's just easier for me to buy one than go through the hassle of getting one machined locally. Anyway, here's the first post by David B.:

It's no stretch to say that the steering and handling feel is 'better than new' - the stock column must be designed with huge slop even when new - then it gets worse !

As Scott Morneau said earlier: you won't believe how rinky dink the lower column bushing is. YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN !

Funny thing is, I pulled out like 5 Dodge separate parts / pieces:

retainer washer,
preload spring,
spring / bearing bushing,
bearing cone,
bearing,
plastic cup

We replaced it with 1 single machined Nylon bushing, that's it.

My dad says 'what kinda monkey motion thing is this stock thing !!'

Must be auto design by burea-c-rats ! (same ones that design our US immigration & border policy ?)

Driving impressions: The steering has a totally different feel. It's not just that it doesn't clunk (that would be enough..) but now the whole front end feels laser precise - as if it now has rack & pinion steering. I can now feel all the new front end things I already replaced: COOL !

Our dirt road has undulations & uneven dips & creavses and now when I go over them, the groaning & forces aren't felt in the wheel.

Things go bad slowly, we get used to them - the stock column had a loosey goosey feel - now that it's rock solid & precise it's amazing - drives like a new truck !!!

I want to say that I am indebted to Scott Morneau & HEMI - DART for finding the source of the problem & fixing it first - this method of making the lower column bushing (to be described with dimensions below) is but the next development of what they already did.

I'd have never tried this, if not for them.

I read every single post (so it seemed...) of anyone complaining of any funny noise in the front end or steering, and these guys were the only two I found who traced this annoyingly persistent 'clunk, rattle, or popping' sound it to the steering column - to the lower column bushing -- and had figured out a custom fix. Bravo guys !

2nd place award goes to the several guys who had Dodge replace their columns 2 or 3 times - with the same poor design. There was a time around 95-97 when Dodge replaced 'em free - No longer - now, they're $ 700 or so.

My truck had every front end component replaced / upgraded so I knew it couldn't be anything there - it MUST be elsewhere.

I must also mention: my Borgeson steering shaft was a big part of the problem, the sliding joint being way TOO stiff. I don't know if I got a bad one, or they're all that way. I collapsed it to allow room to reconnect the rebuit column, and it couldn't be pulled up. I removed it, put it in a vise, still couldn't pull it up. Might need disassembly.

Good thing I had bought a new one at Dodge parts yesterday. I know it's a stocker, but I feel it is an improved part - looks beefier than the stock original unit, and it glides so easily, it won't put stress on the column.

While researching this problem, I noted, a lot of guys did the Borgeson shaft, and their 'clunk' remained or got worse. Not every time, but many times. That joint MUST move freely, or bad things happen.

Anyhow, I will put out how exactly we made this lower bushing for those who want to do it themselves. It's simple if you have a lathe or access to one.

** I may make some and offer them here if I get enough requests - pm me or post here if you want one that way **

Details: (see pics below)

Nylon (white color) - Delrin or other plastic might work, too
Round stock 2.10 " diameter

1.75 " inches long (or depth that goes in column lower tube)

Turn down OD to 2.040" for approximately 1.65 " of it's length, leaving a small shoulder at the top that that is 2.10 " (our original diameter) for about .10 of the length (depth).

At the end opposite of the shoulder end, you may wish to 'turn down' the Nylon a bit further, a few thousands more, to assist in getting the bushing 'started' into the tube upon installation.

Important - the shoulder is what stops it when you drive it into the lower column tube - you must not make the shoulder diameter larger than the outside of the lower column tube, or the rebuilt column won't fit through the bottom toe plate.

Now, precisely (again, we used the lathe) drill a 1" hole in the center of the nylon bushing, going slowly so the material doesn't overheat.

There, it's made - done.

To get off the stock junk parts, just cut very carefully- (we used a die grinder with a very small cutting wheel) - the steel retaining washer that holds on the spring, then once the spring is off, carefully pry out the cheap plastic lower column bushing & bearing assembly.

Now you can slide the new bushing over the steering shaft and into the tube, using a proper diameter piece of pipe - we used a chunk of PVC - drive it into the lower column housing tube.

You're done.

Now the column can be reinstalled in the truck. We highly suggest using the "steering column removal" instructions in the Factory service manual for reference.

Take Care, David B.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
I'm also very interested in your results. I have some slack and rattles in my column and this might just do the trick. I have replaced everything on the front end except this. Please let us know how it works for you.

I just ordered one and will post my results also. Like I said, everything is brand new on my front end so this must be the problem. I am also getting some feedback in the steering wheel and peddles and this is supposed to cure that. I spoke to the owner, forgot his name, but he was very knowledgeable about the symptoms of my truck and stated that this should fix my problem. I hope he's right.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:15 PM

My bushing kit was delivered USPS this morning...........I got it put in, without removing the column. I used a stone wheel on my dremel until I got most of the way through the washer.......then I sharpened a long punch to a point, and wedged it between the bottom of the spring and the thin spot on the washer. I hit the punch 3 or 4 times with a hammer, and the washer broke in two, allowing the spring to slide off. Then, with a long thin screwdriver, I got the bearing unit started coming out, and grabbed it with my hand and worked it the rest of the way off the shaft. Wiped the shaft clean, slid the bushing up into the column as far as I could, then used the pvc and hammer to finish seating it the full depth. I put my steering shaft back on and now I have no clunk.....I have lived with this clunk since I owned the truck as I bought it used with 95K on it. It now has 158K on it. Now the front end feels great..........a little stiff right now, but I've read where others state that it will loosen up after a few miles. Before replacing this bushing, I actually thought I had a wheel bearing going out.....or ball joints, or steering box or something. Anyway, I wanted to post that it can be done in the truck.....at least my truck anyway. Mine is a 98 12v 5 speed. Oh yeah, it took me about 1.5 hours to do it since it was my first time to do one......but I believe with my experience, I could change one in 45 minutes or less now.

Waylan
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

im still confused...does the bushing go in from under the truck or from inside under the dash?

i ordered mine today and cant wait to feel the improvement in the steering when i get the truck back on the road.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:11 AM

Pop your hood and look for the upper end of the steering shaft where it attaches to the steering column shaft. There should be a u-joint right there. Once you have located this steering column shaft, follow it up to the firewall and you will see the steering column housing. The bushing goes between this housing and the center shaft. The traditional way of changing it out is to completely take the column out of the truck. I was able to put the new bushing in without taking the column out. Holler if you have any other questions.

By the way, the initial stiffness has faded and everything feels great now.

Waylan
Old 07-17-2006, 05:50 PM

Here's some pictures I took of my install:

http://www.directcon.net/drkayak/Ram/Steering/

I did it on the truck. It was not easy but having done it I could do the repair again in 1/3 the time. My steering is much more solid but I still have a squeak in the upper column. I am thinking about removing my Borgeson shaft based on Darid B. coment:

"I must also mention: my Borgeson steering shaft was a big part of the problem, the sliding joint being way TOO stiff."

Is the sliding joint on the intermediate steering shaft designed to move? I thought the sliding joint was a safty feature for colisions.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:31 PM

Very cool info I will be ordering one on friday....
Old 07-25-2006, 09:08 AM

Any updates on the bushing's performance? If I understand correctly, the original spring is not reused, correct? If this is the case, how does the bushing keep from working loose or falling out over time?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by dIlLiGaF
Any updates on the bushing's performance? If I understand correctly, the original spring is not reused, correct? If this is the case, how does the bushing keep from working loose or falling out over time?
I got mine in the mail last week and will put it in this weekend. You are correct that you don't re-use the spring and clip and I have the same question. But looking at the bushing, it's outer diameter is tappered so I assume that by driving in there far enough it won't come out. I wonder if it does start to come out if you could maybe put a set screw in it to hold it in?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

i hope it fixes my problem when i finally get it installed...eveytime i hit a bump i can feel a clunk in the steering wheel. i already have a thuren track bar and DSS installed, im hoping this will take care of that last bit of slack in the steering.

just been too hot and been working too much to put mine in

Quick Reply: Steering column bushing