Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Starwheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starwheel

Were is the afc housing, what is it? And the startwheel, where is it. I want to make my truck a real soot moster. I will be ordering the GSK 3000 tommorow. Finialy, my wife is starting to say yes to more toys.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:52 PM

Don't think you are going to have a soot monster with a #12 plate but you can make it blow some smoke.

The AFC housing is where the plate goes. It is on the drivers side next to and kind of under the manfold. It has four straight screws in it. The starwheel is under that big allen head on top of the AFC. Take the allen off the get a screw driver and turn it towards the engine (passenger) for more fuel down low. Slide the AFC all the way foreward. Also slide you plate all the way forward.

Hope all this makes sence....
Old 09-30-2004, 09:03 PM

Thanks a bunch, guess what I am going to do tommorow. I figured it had to be some where around there, just was afraid to open her up. But not any more, going to slide the plate all the way foward. My do a little bit of good, and turn the wheel and tweak. Know where I can exchange a plate for cheap, it was bought from TST, just I didn't by it. My uncle the previous owner did.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Banned

you can have a sootmaster with a stock plate if you slide the AFC housing all the way forward and turn the starwheel all the way forward!!

Forrest
Old 09-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Banned

Go here it has very detailed instructions. Do you have gauges? If not better get some quick. Smoke makes heat.
http://www.tstproducts.com/INSRUCT98.pdf
Old 10-01-2004, 06:45 AM

jprovence
Is your truck an auto or stick tranny. If you slide the afc foward you start making power and boost at a lower rpm and this will hurt a stock converter in an auto because they slip too much. The stock clutch will hold in a stick but you will need to upgrade soon in eather case. Most with the auto change converters and valve bodys to up the tranny pressures and lower the stall. Most with sticks go with a bigger and heavier clutch to increase spring pressure. Bombed Cummins's are hard on the rest of the drive trane. This is food for though so you don't get any supprises. Tom
Old 10-01-2004, 07:46 AM

I have guages, and a manual. The most EGT I ever reach is about 1100, unloaded, but I never tow, its just my daily driver. And thats pounding the throttle to reach max boost. I am going to order a South Bend unit today, and also lots of tranny parts. I lost 5th gear. Also I am going to get the GSK 3000 today as well. I can't wait till it all gets here.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:31 PM

you know, I just went and turned the starwheel toward the motor, like as far as I could, and its turned all the way foward I guess, but I couldn't get the AFC housing to really do anything, and my plate, well I can even move that. Anyone near me wanna help me, I will get buy food or whatever you want.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:01 PM

What was the problem with the AFC housing? Just get a couple of screws started and before you tighten the screws slide it towards the front of your truck all the way.

What problems did you have sliding you plate?

I think Piers or TST does a $50 exchange. Give the your plate and $50 and you get a different one. not a bad deal.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:16 PM

It doesn't have to move far does it, the AFC housing, maybe a 1/4" or so? right. The plate, the screws were so tight, I couldn't turn them, I will try and get a bigger screwdriver next time. I am kinda short on tools. So looks like a trip to sears.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:30 PM

Ya, its not very much.

For the plate just get a screwdriver, the bigger the better as long as it fits in the slots then a pair of channel locks and some downward pressure and you should be able to break them loose. Goodluck

If you lived close I would help you out for sure.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:39 PM

Does it make a huge differerence moving the thing foward, I think I will wait to move my plate foward when I get a new one, right now my plate is in the middle from what it looked like. So I will leave it there. The starwheel, it is not even anywhere near the spring. So is that OK or should I move it back. It been turned past the hole. Any more thoughts on this Cummins Tuning evolution?
Old 10-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Banned

moving the housing does make a difference...

my wheel is all the way forward... there is a good 1/4" or more play in it... the spring isn't anywhere near touching it

oh, and go ahead and slide the plate forward some!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am kinda short on tools. So looks like a trip to sears
Buy an impact driver, not the kind that runs on air but the type you hit with a hammer. Sears should have one for under $15.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:17 PM

I might tear it apart tommorow. I just got some huge driving lights for the front bumper. Can't wait to put them on. I will try to get the cam plate moved foward again. Now that I know what I am doing.

Quick Reply: Starwheel