Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Startup with FASS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's getting weirder/worse. This morning, and when I left work, starting it was just not happening. I turned it over for about 5 seconds and got worried, I waited, hit it again and it kind of misfired. I let off, waited 1 second and hit it again, It fired right up.
Yes, the pump is doing the initial bump when I turn the key on, and I am waiting until the wait to start light goes out.
Once it starts it runs well, with no stumbling. I am thinking ait in the system, because of this, and my gauge is bouncy, but seems to quiet down once I get rolling.

Chris
Old 03-16-2004, 10:08 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris it sounds like a air leak causing you to lose your prime. If you have it running and shut down will it start right back up? Does this only happen after it has been sitting for a while? Tim
Old 03-16-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, after sitting a while. It's been sitting since 18:20 when I got home, but when I went out there at 23:10 it fired right up.

Chris
Old 03-21-2004, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
You should have an air leak, would be my guess.

When you have problems starting, does it stumble a little after starting? If so that is air.
Haulin, It looks like you were probably right. I rechecked everything and did find that the spin on filter was seeping fuel just slightly. I remembered that I put it on hand tight, but only was able to turn it about 1/2 turn. I think it was supposed to go 3/4 or 1 turn. So I used the filter wrench and turned it another 1/4 turn, and it feels tight.

For almost a complete week, it has started fast every time.

Stamey: You might want to check your spin on filter.

Always appreciate good input. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My fass is set to supply 18 psi at idle, dont know if you have your press higher have heard that above 20psi will cause a hard start. Tim
I called Brad to get another spring and he sent me the heavier spring, because I couldnt get over 10 lb of pressure according to my gauge. Long story short..........Fuel pressure gauge isolator was bad, and had been running 26.5 lb of pressure to the VP44, according to an in-line mechanical gauge (dealer). I changed the spring back to the one I had before and is now at 11-12 lb. I had heard that high pressure also caused hard starting but if I wouldnt have persued the fuel pressure issue, I would have never known it because it made no difference in mine. I ran it that way for probably 2-3 weeks and noticed no difference. It was also January weather in the cold here in PA.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was thinking about running 2 identical FP gauges, one before the OEM filter & keeping the one at the VP44. That way you would have 2 to compare w/ each other in case one isolator starts flaking out. Or if you start seeing a difference, it might indicate a plugged filter.

Also, I liked the idea of turning the pressure down to 12-13, because it seems that the motor in the pump would not have to work as hard. Might last longer that way since it would be using less power, also easier on the ECM circuit since not using an inline relay - yet. Thats assuming it is working easier at lower pressure.