Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Star wheel adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 07:51 AM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star wheel adjustment.

I went to crank the star wheel ahead yesterday , and i couldn't seem to make it turn? it was way up at the front of the hole , and i was trying to turn the top of it towards the engine , is this right?

is it possible someone already has it cranked to the max?

i bought this truck used , just over a year ago.

another thing i notice , it has no qualms about revving all the way to 3000 rpm , how can i tel if someone already put a 3k GSK in it?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two ways to install a GSK. Has the AFC housing been off? If it hasn't, the front lower (I think) bolt will have a round head. The other way is through a plug on the side of the pump under the shutdown solenoid. It it hasn't been removed, there will be a thin steel cable seal with a lead clamp on it.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
When the star wheel is turned all the way forward it either stops turning or gets so far forward that you can't get at it. You might want to try turning it back a little to see if it's just stuck.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:09 AM
JKM

I tired turning the wheel back some , and it seemed to turn , but i tried turning it forwrds again , and it didn't seem to want to move , and it was also very hard to get at , it was at the very front of the hole.

I am still abit of a newbie , and i am very unfamiliar with the AFC? housing , no idea what it does , whats in it , or where it is.

is there any pictures to help me locate this?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:37 PM

The AFC houshing is what the star wheel is in. Its the housing you open up to turn the starwheel. I can slide foward about 1/4" When you want to slide it foward, you have the hold it there. It has a tedenacy to want to stay where Cummins put it originally. So you just have to hold it all the way foward. Just loosen the bolts, allen screws, what ever you got, and slide the housing foward, hold, then retighten. Maybe some of the more wide elders can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:09 PM

Sounds like somebody has already turned it all the way forward. Will the truck smoke at all on take off?

Your AFC housing can be moved forward as well, to produce more smoke. The housing has four bolts holding it on. One of the bolts on the housing may be round (tamperproof ). You can get it out by turning it with a chisel and hammer.
If all the bolts look "normal" then loosen all four and slide the housing forward(bolt holes allow for forward/backward movement). Tighten back down. Now youll have some more smoke. Now, this may have been done already if the bolts look like they have been removed. You will see either way when you pull the four bolts out. -Jake
Old 10-14-2004, 10:42 AM
JKM

The truck will smoke a little on take off when the engine is cold .

next time i have a chance i will check the AFC housing and see what i find , but i am pretty busy right now , with school all day , studying at night , and tryin to spend time with my woman.

thanks for the help.