Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stacks...would they look good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks...would they look good?

Hey, been throwing around the idea lately about putting stacks on my truck. So far it is stock in the engine, but I plan on having this truck running fairly good hp eventually down the road. I love the sound of straight pipe, so I'm curious to see if you guys think stacks would look good right now, with my wooden flat bed. Or should I wait until I get an aluminum flatbed made up?

This is just a quick photoshop job...Obviously not as big, be around 4" probably, and about that height

Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 AM

I like flatbeds stacked to the outside of the cab corners. Just personal preferance.

Whatever you do, don't have this guy help you out.

Dave
Old 08-07-2007, 01:00 AM

stacks definitely!!!!

i think stacks are awesome on any dodge diesel, but i think i would wait for the new flatbed unless that is going to be a while. but be ready to go a little tone deaf if you have the window down lol. everyboby calls my truck a miniature peterbilt cause the sound the stacks make
Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been wondering about the sound & loudness of the stacks. Can you hear them exhausting right behind your head, especially if they are turned backwards, as mine would be? Is it louder than running duals under the truck?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:30 AM

It will be louder than running duals under the truck being as the sound is exiting right behind you instead of like 10ft behind you and more toward to the ground.

I too have seen a lot of pictures with fellas that have flat beds, and have the stacks right on the corner of the cab. The new flat bed will probably be awhile being as I just started a full time job(i am only 18) and I'm going to get my tranny rebuilt first and some of the smaller performance stuff. Does anyone have ideas of how to go about buildings/attaching the stacks to the truck? I can get the plumbing for the stacks fairly cheap so that wouldn't be a problem. I would probably go to a truck stop to get the stacks. So how would I want to attach it to the bed, or the frame or something? And would a 4" downpipe be a good choice.

Thanks

Dinner
Old 08-07-2007, 01:02 PM

Imagine the rear window as a kick drum cover. It'll flex and transmit the noise right inside.

Stacks are much louder inside than any under bed system. If it's loud or not depends on you.

But I have spent more than a few hours in a stacked truck and would not do a trip with ear protection.

Dave
Old 08-07-2007, 01:44 PM

OMG,
That truck the F2D4U posted is hideous. I called the "How's My Driving Number" on the back on the tailgate and reported it solely for those disgusting stacks.

~Rob

Trending Topics

Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Not to discourage anyone about putting stacks on, but i have 6in mitre cuts on my 01 ext cab and they are LOUD!!!, even inside with the windows up and the radio on you cant carry on a conversation while accllerating or even at cruising speeds of 70mph+ and dont even think about talking to each other if you have a decent size trailer on. Its gotton to the point of either putting on a muffler or taking the stacks off and putting my 5in straight pipe on. Im 21 so its not like im old and hate noise, so if you like stacks and dont care about your hearing go ahead cause i might have a set for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM

I like mine just the way they are
Attached Thumbnails Stacks...would they look good?-image009-1-.jpg  
Old 08-07-2007, 06:16 PM

i think as far as mounting you might want some kind of headache rack to secure the stacks to for stability , you also need to decide if your y pipe is going to be under or on top of the bed, in your case it would probably be best on top easier to mount on the wood. the noise difference with stacks is like this my dad's 99 24 valve sounds like it still has a muffler when in fact it mia. thats the best comparison i can give.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 AM

I was thinking of ways how to run it along my bed, or along those lines. Was wondering if I could bring up the flex pipe, into the T fitting, and then have the pipes going to either side...but have that in-between/below the flat bed so that it is hidden more, and then have the stacks curve and come up in each corner?

MattieBob: Are you saying your dad's stacks on his 24 valve sound just like stock exhaust that runs underneath?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 PM

I just finished a 2,000 mile trip with a friends dodge that has a 5" single stack with no muffler. Friend that was with me thought that the stack a speed on the interstate was a tad bit louder than my truck with 4" straight exhaust ran out the back. I now want to do 5" stacks on my truck as it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Both trucks are quad cabs so that might have helped out.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:16 PM

no, im saying after having stacks on my truck for a while then getting in my dads truck, his sounds like a stock exhaust system. my dads truck is just straight piped no stacks. the way you are talking about doing your stacks should work. you will still need to find a way to secure the stacks up on top
Old 08-09-2007, 02:14 AM

Oh Ok, sorry for the mis-understanding

Thanks for the replies guys, I think i am going to go ahead with this project soon, but before I put the stacks all on, and as MattieBob said, I am going to build/fab something up like a head rack so that I can attach the stacks up top, or closer towards the bottom for the support. And so then obviously I can use it to tie stuff down as well.

I am curious as to how much to aftermarket head racks go for. Or could it be easy to fab one up myself that will mount to the frame and the brackets that would hold the box if it were there?

Thanks

Dinner
Old 08-10-2007, 04:04 PM

it would be much easier to fab one up yourself just go by some steel and get a welder and that way you can build it the way you want it and also say its custom. it shouldnt take much to support the stacks, you could probably bolt the headache rack to the wood just make sure you have gussets on the sides to support the rack and it should tie everything together

Quick Reply: Stacks...would they look good?