Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stacks in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks in Texas

Does anybody know what the laws are in Tx regarding stacks. I want to go 4 inch staight pipe to the stacks is this legal. Also i've heard i have a cat and i dont, i have a resonator, which is it. Thanks for the help all of you have given me.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Banned

You don't have a cat none of the VP equipped trucks had a cat. and stacks are "not original equipment type" which is what federal air quality laws require. But you would probally get littel to no hassle for them. For now.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by displacedtexan
stacks are "not original equipment type" which is what federal air quality laws require.
It's the same smoke, whether it comes out of stacks or out of the OEM tailpipe. Someday this is going to see the inside of a courtroom, with all the aftermarket manufacturers out there. Too bad I'm not rich with a bunch of time to waste. Guess I should get stacks while I can still enjoy them!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:46 AM

What laws?
Havent had any problems with 5" stacks, nor when I had the single 5" straight pipe...

In texas diesels have saftey only checks like the old cars.
They see if your brakes/lights/horn work and thats pretty much it.

The guys at the local lube place just sat there checkin out the stacks when I went to get my inspection....
Old 05-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

I believe the law is here in Utar the exshaust has to be beyond the body of the vehicle and behind all passengers. So according to that your good besides are they going to make all semi's change there exshaust?
Old 05-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

in TX, the law says nothing about exhaust exiting in the stock location... says that exhaust must exit behind, beside, or above the passenger compartment, and in the section defining "muffler" it says "...or rotary device", so while you may break a local noise ordinance, you will be legal to the letter of the law to drive on TX highways.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jdonoghue
It's the same smoke, whether it comes out of stacks or out of the OEM tailpipe. Someday this is going to see the inside of a courtroom, with all the aftermarket manufacturers out there. Too bad I'm not rich with a bunch of time to waste. Guess I should get stacks while I can still enjoy them!
I agree with you 100% it dosen't matter where the exhuast comes out. It still comes out. Stacks get it above most other vehices, and pediserians heads, so it would seem they are preferable.

They don't violate the states laws, they don't comply with the federal regulations. And there may well be a day when those are enforced. And I bet there will be many court battles fought because many of us have off the shelf parts that don't meet the federal standards. That being said, I would run stacks if I didn't need to be able to put 4x8 plywood in the bed and put the tailgate up.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
in TX, the law says nothing about exhaust exiting in the stock location... says that exhaust must exit behind, beside, or above the passenger compartment, and in the section defining "muffler" it says "...or rotary device", so while you may break a local noise ordinance, you will be legal to the letter of the law to drive on TX highways.
No, it says that it must not exit under the passengers compartment. even a stack thru the hood is legal here

jake
Old 05-23-2006, 10:10 PM

I have three friends with stacks and have never been pulled over but there also power jokes!!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:06 AM

Thanks for all the replys. All the stuff is on the way. I have a flatbed and took some measurements and i will be able to run everything under the bed and have the stacks come up through the bed. I'll npost piks when i get them on. Probaly about a week and a half. Thanks Dave
Old 05-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

That's awesome that you will be able to run everything under the bed...

I want stacks!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

Been running them for a while. Got pulled over 3 days after I got them for speeding. Told the cop that I just put them on and wanted to hear them. Didn't say anything about them. Certaintly said something about my speed and my following of cars.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:06 PM

I've never been stopped in TX, or anywhere else for that matter, about the stacks.