Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stacks and livestock

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks and livestock

I really want my stacks but i have a simple question to those that do. I need the truck to haul hay to the shows with the trailor and usually i put 5 bails under the gooseneck and if i had stacks i dont think i could do this. But i was wondering if i put the stacks in a box if that would make it safe to haul hay. Atleast just a few bails. For instance i would but diamond plate around the stacks in fornt of them andup to the front bed rail. Will i be okay or does it still get to hot.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Registered

Just don't let the hay touch the stacks and you will be ok, they don't get that hot.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:14 PM

i have dual 4 in stacks and they do not seem to get hot unless you really put the juice through them. I haul hay and other things all the time. I would not be to worried about them lighting the hay on fire as long as you don't let the hay touch them. I have a triangular diamond plate toolbox behind mine but as long as you keep the hay away from them i say go with the stacks but be prepared for the noise in the cab i hope you like it loud.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:21 PM

Yes the stack box will still get HOT driving down the interstate. Yes keep the hay off the box. But to be safe, yes some diamond plate built up over the box and around the stacks would be good. Allow a few inches of air between the box and diamond to be safe.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if ur gonna haul cattle and hay

i would also suggest turn outs, minimize exposure to hay and cattle by any means nessesary.. for that reason i dont run stacks.. Dads a welder and im pretty decent with one too so i can make a set if i want.. i just dont..

Rick
Old 06-29-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I noticed that livestock trailers on trucks with stacks have soot stains on the trailer whereas when under the truck they don't.
Doesn't seem like it would be all that great for the animals to be breathing exhaust fumes all the way down the road.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:01 PM

sorry im late but i was out to late to log on last night. Thanks for the replys. We ahul a horse trailor not a livestock traior so the animals are pretty much safe from the soot. Also not worried about the soot on the trailor, with a little bit of tire wet before the soot gets there the stains come right off. other then the fe bails we haul to the shows in the bed we dont haul hay unless it is by the 400 bail trailor load. i am just trying to come up with a way to still haul the hay but not stick a tool box in there and lose even more room, so this was the only idea i had. But based on the replys it is back to the drawing board.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I noticed that livestock trailers on trucks with stacks have soot stains on the trailer whereas when under the truck they don't.
Doesn't seem like it would be all that great for the animals to be breathing exhaust fumes all the way down the road.
Really isn't a problem. Unless the truck smokes a LOT, it usually takes a long time to get much soot on a trailer. Most visible soot anymore, just happens during a shift. The KW I run is pretty clean buring. Get a little puff on shifts, and that is it.

Some guys have the stacks of the rig right behind the cab/sleeper, and the turnouts are pointed right at the front of the trailer. Those tend to get sooty quicker. If they are turned out some, it takes longer.

Never lost an animal yet, in 7 years. Cattle or hogs.