Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stacks - box crossover vs. Y-pipe... sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks - box crossover vs. Y-pipe... sound?

anyone have a lot of experience w/ different stack setups on stacked CTD's?

do the box crossovers yield a different sound than Y-pipe setups?

it's hard to really tell through sound files/video/etc. but it seems like the box crossover setups yield more of a raspy sound that sounds closer to a regular single exit straight pipe, and the Y-pipe setups have a little smoother sound and sound more like a baby 18 wheeler...

sound waves travel in a straight line, and I'm wondering if / guessing the box changes the sound?

I'm trying to talk a buddy into stacks, and he loves the way mine sound, but I'm trying to convince him to to the box crossover because it'll be cheaper and easier. but the video/sound we've seen of the box setup didn't really light his fire (nor mine... still sounded good, don't get me wrong, but not the same)

could have just been the sound quality of the video.

BUT, we also saw a video of a y-pipe'd truck, and it sounded like mine.

just trying to get some info from someone who's BTDT w/ both styles... the box would be SO much easier to set up!!!

Forrest
Old 12-06-2004, 08:39 PM

I don't have much to offer. A lot of guys around here have Fords with the box crossover. And they all sound fine to me. When I do mine I am going to go with the y pipe. So consider this a free bump.

Dean
Old 12-07-2004, 07:32 PM

Forrest,
I've been around both types of stacks. Personally, I built a crossover box setup for mine. As far as noise, mine were never "rappy." I think that using heavy box can help cancel some of the noise out. I used 6" box, 3/16" thick. IMO, using thinner-walled box might contribute to some crossover setups being raspy?
andy